2024 Fundraising - $1102 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

"Gaming goodness"

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Carpet_pissr

"Gaming goodness"

Post by Carpet_pissr »

This is one of those "is it just me?" rants...

"Gaming goodness"

I don't know who started using this term in pc game mags (maybe console too, don't know), but I would like to publicly ask that this term never be used again. It was clever (sort of) and acceptable for the first year or so of use...but can't someone come up with a new phrase for pete's sake after years and years of overuse?

And in a related media gripe, but different industry, and completely OT - will someone please ask sports announcers to stop saying "And there's the quarterback sneak, he gets about 5 yards on that one, DOES JENNINGS"

What is up with that "DOES (insert player X name here)" bit? Did all the sportscasters go to some conference last year where it was decided that this was a cool new way to call plays?

And yes I am neurotic.

/rant
bluefugue

Post by bluefugue »

And what is it with all these jerks who keep cutting me off in traffic???!!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

maybe cut back to one or two cups of coffee a day, max.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Raven_13

Post by Raven_13 »

I though "Gaming Goodness" came from Rich? :?
"Profanity is the one language that all programmers understand." - Anonymous
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I think the "does [player X]" thing is simply a product of play by play calling. They call the action first and then identify the player, simply because as they're calling it, they're not sure who it is. If you have two guys rushing from the back field, and it's your 4th game in as many weeks with 8 different teams (Al, looking you) it will take you a second to ID the rusher (or receiver or whoever). You'll note that local/regular broadcast guys don't do this as much. It's national network guys.

Gaming goodness? A meaningless term. I suppose it's a way of saying a game has an positive intangible quality, but a good reviewer will be able to pin it down. I wonder if there is an equivalent in movie or cullinary reviews.

"From the opening credits, you could tell it had that movie goodness..."
"The chef strives to add food goodness to every dish..."
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Benhur

Post by Benhur »

I can't get behined a student driver!
ArmyOfOne

Post by ArmyOfOne »

I'm pretty sure the "Gaming Goodess" phrase was coined in PC Gamer. Atleast that's where I remember seeing it first used regularly.
bluefugue

Post by bluefugue »

Benhur wrote:I can't get behined a student driver!
Just use your whip, or those spikes on your chariot wheels. :wink:
Head

Post by Head »

I haven't heard that term much in the past 5 years. It's actually kinda nostalgic for me since I first read that phrase from my Computer Gaming World magazine about 10 or more years ago.

~Head
Elaine: Oh, hey, listen, by the way, have you seen a tall... lanky...
doofus, with a, with a bird-face and hair like the Bride of
Frankenstein?
Usher: Haven't seen him.
bluefugue

Post by bluefugue »

Hey, I use one of your rackets. :shock:
disarm

Post by disarm »

ArmyOfOne wrote:I'm pretty sure the "Gaming Goodess" phrase was coined in PC Gamer. Atleast that's where I remember seeing it first used regularly.
i'll second this...i almost certain that's where i heard it first, way back in some of their earliest issues (mid-90s). they used it all the time and i think it just spread from there. i've caught myself using it in a post once in a while...
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

I'm not crazy about the "gaming goodness" label either, but what else would you explain that intangible with?
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
RookieCAF

Post by RookieCAF »

That phrase reeks of suckitude.
~Rookie
My BF2 Stats
Head

Post by Head »

bluefugue wrote:Hey, I use one of your rackets. :shock:
Yaaah, I make good rackets. But the credit really goes out to the little kids in those sweat shops. Image They're so cute!
hmm -- I think it's going to be a......GAMING GOODNESS weekend! There....I said it!
Elaine: Oh, hey, listen, by the way, have you seen a tall... lanky...
doofus, with a, with a bird-face and hair like the Bride of
Frankenstein?
Usher: Haven't seen him.
Chesspieceface

Post by Chesspieceface »

I don't really find it cliche. To me it one of the ties that bind a community like this one. It decribes that thing that makes me thrilled I'm still a gamer. Mmmmm.... Gooey Gaming Goodness. :P
kind of like a cloud I was up way up in the sky and I was feeling some feelings that I couldn't believe; sometimes I don't believe them myself but I decided I was never coming down
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

One of the former editors at Computer Games Online used to use it all of them. It bugged me back then (5-6 years ago?) and I've always been annoyed each time I've heard the phrase repeated.
Chesspieceface

Post by Chesspieceface »

I will say that I've never read gaming mags, so perhaps I haven't had the chance to be burned by it like you fellows.
kind of like a cloud I was up way up in the sky and I was feeling some feelings that I couldn't believe; sometimes I don't believe them myself but I decided I was never coming down
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

disarm wrote:
ArmyOfOne wrote:I'm pretty sure the "Gaming Goodess" phrase was coined in PC Gamer. Atleast that's where I remember seeing it first used regularly.
i'll second this...i almost certain that's where i heard it first, way back in some of their earliest issues (mid-90s). they used it all the time and i think it just spread from there. i've caught myself using it in a post once in a while...
Yep. I'll third it.
I've subscribed to all three for 10 years and PC Gamer was the one that used it first (around 1995).

I've never minded the term. My buddies still use it and it's an apt descriptor when you're excited about playing something, or having played something really good. Saying "come on over to my place and we'll play games" gets the point across, but sounds bland. Whereas "come on over for some gaming goodness" conveys genuine enthusiasm.
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
Odin

Post by Odin »

I don't have a problem with the term. I'm not sure how you folks have seen it used, but some of you seem to be annoyed with it as a substitute for real information, as in "I don't know what I liked about the game, it just had gaming goodness." I can't say I've ever seen it used that way - nor would it be consistent with their editorial requirements (I've written freelance for PCGamer, so I know of which I speak). Rather, I've seen it mostly used (in PCGamer) as "This month we have oodles of gaming goodness just for you, our loyal readers!" or somesuch. Don't know how you could really be offended by that, but YMMV.

Sith
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I don't know which one of you is "The Vede", but after reading the current issue of PC Gamer, it's obvious he lurks among us.

We're onto you. And our suckered masses aren't amused.
Odin

Post by Odin »

Smoove_B wrote:I don't know which one of you is "The Vede", but after reading the current issue of PC Gamer, it's obvious he lurks among us.

We're onto you. And our suckered masses aren't amused.
Are you talking about the little (TM) he put after the phrase in his Hard Stuff lead-in, or was there something more overt that I didn't catch?

If they are lurking here, they evidently find it pretty funny - one of their full-page ads is for PCGamer.com, and proudly proclaims that it's full of Gaming Goodness. Heh.

Sith
CeeKay

Post by CeeKay »

sorry, I'm to busy enjoying the gaming goodness to stop and whine about silly catchphrases :P
CeeKay has left the building. See him exclusively at Gaming Trend!
Faldarian

Post by Faldarian »

I like the gaming goodness, myself.

Like "chocolatey" goodness, or "goodness, a french maid outfit". I like goodness.

Doubly so for the french maid outfits, actually.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Sith Lord wrote: Are you talking about the little (TM) he put after the phrase in his Hard Stuff lead-in, or was there something more overt that I didn't catch?

Sith
Exactly. I actually laughed when I saw it - then realized there's a spy among us... ;)
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

"maybe cut back to one or two cups of coffee a day, max. "

Not gonna happen...sorry. I am way beyond being able to self control my coffee intake. I have been The Great Java God's bitch for far too many moons now.

The Vede = Demosthenes!!! :D I kid (or ARE you??!? hmmm??)
Veloxi

Post by Veloxi »

I first read the term "Gaming Goodness" in PC Gamer many years ago. At first I thought it was catchy...now its cliched.
CeeKay

Post by CeeKay »

aye carumba!! don't have a cow dude. where's the beef? it's all gaming goodness!

:twisted:
D.A.Lewis

Post by D.A.Lewis »

It speaks to our shared conscience of all that is good in gaming.
Bad Demographic

Post by Bad Demographic »

We have a shared conscience? No wonder it's hard to be good sometimes - one of you guys must be using the conscience when I need it.
Chesspieceface

Post by Chesspieceface »

Carpet_pissr wrote:The Vede = Demosthenes!!! :D I kid (or ARE you??!? hmmm??)
I think not. What's a Vede anyway?
Beer Goggles

Post by Beer Goggles »

Greg Vederman aka The Vede, PC Gamer Hardware Editor.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I know you're in here! Show yourself! :x
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

I've never taken much noticed of this phenomenon myself. But on further reflection, you're absolutely right. It's become part of gaming colloquism. It's a language that automatically conveys a meaning that only those of us who participate in the activity or the event can understand. It can be good or bad.
jaskerr

Post by jaskerr »

bluefugue wrote:Hey, I use one of your rackets. :shock:
Yes, but were you cool enough as a teenager to have the t-shirt that said "Give me Rossignol, or give me Head"? Hmmmm?!?!
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Faldarian wrote:I like the gaming goodness, myself.

Like "chocolatey" goodness, or "goodness, a french maid outfit". I like goodness.

Doubly so for the french maid outfits, actually.
I remember hearing this first from a Buffy episode - Xander's fear of clowns and love of chocolate, as I recall...
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Yes - we definitely need some fresh catch-phrase goodness!
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Hell, instead of picking nits, let's come up with the new gaming catchphrase of this decade, century, whatever. Give 'em something new to use instead of "gaming goodness".

I humbly submit: "Gaming Gold"

Let the flames begin (but not without at least posting one of your own inane suggestions).

Also, anything that screams "I'm a 12 year old boy trapped in a 30 yr old man's body" gets extra points, and would probably be adopted more quickly as well. Example: Gaming roXXor..ness

Actually, no, that just screams I am a 12 year old. Let me try again: Ummmm, no, I got nothin'. Sorry. I suck.
CeeKay

Post by CeeKay »

How about:

Freaky monkey lovefest goodness?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I refuse to participate until The Vede shows himself.
Faldarian

Post by Faldarian »

Smoove_B wrote:I refuse to participate until The Vede shows himself.
I'd rather he didn't, I'd probably feel bad and have to apologize for talking smack about him for all these years :shock: