2024 Fundraising - $1102 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

Lunatic pays $26,500 for virtual property

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Tareeq

Lunatic pays $26,500 for virtual property

Post by Tareeq »

The money was real.

I remember hearing about Project Entropia some while back, the mmog that would sanction and indeed require purchase of ingame property with actual cash. Apparently it's live. The individual in question has paid $26,500 for a "virtual treasure island" with a castle, hunting and mining and taxation rights, and "massive revenue potential" if he can develop and sell the island's 60 lots at a "market value" of $5000 each. So he'll make his real money back.

That is, assuming that an adequate supply of what economists call the "Greater Fool" exists.

No word on whether the island comes with a virtual Ginger and Mary Ann. I guarantee it doesn't come with real ones.
Atalante

Post by Atalante »

Oh, I'm sure humanity isn't lacking in greater fools. Its the greater rich fools that may evade him.

I hope he makes his money back. It would really reconfirm my disbelief in humanity.
"Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani?"
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

A friend of mine was offered $5000 for his Level 50 Cleric back in EQ1's heyday. I don't know who was stupider - the guy who offered him the money, or my friend, who turned it down. :D
Discalced

Post by Discalced »

And the graphics suck.
Atalante

Post by Atalante »

YellowKing wrote:A friend of mine was offered $5000 for his Level 50 Cleric back in EQ1's heyday. I don't know who was stupider - the guy who offered him the money, or my friend, who turned it down. :D
Your friend, by far.

$5000

Reminds me of that Daily Victims thread on gamespy. God, that was hilarious; and scarily true.
"Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani?"