how can a song rule this much....

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hitbyambulance

how can a song rule this much....

Post by hitbyambulance »

i woke up to, being played on KEXP on my clock radio, a song which was soooo incredibly good that all i could do is just lie there and stare, wide-eyed, at nothing in particular for a full minute going "HOW CAN MUSIC BE THIS GOOD???" in my head. and it got more amazing! as it went on!! unbelievable!!!! i have hope again! for the future of music!! i am so freakin happy!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh yeah, the song was "Rebellion (Lies)" by The Arcade Fire...easily my favorite of 2004.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

I'm surprised by how much I like The Arcade Fire. Usually I don't go in for 'random indie band of the moment that is generally soft-music with weird noises.'
Windows95

Post by Windows95 »

They are a great band. Get their album (Funeral), it's all good stuff on it. I'm still kicking myself for not seeing them live a few months back. My old high school friend is in the band. He wrote me a few months back telling me about how his new band was doing so well. I didn't believe him at first when he told me it was Arcade Fire.

"Uh yeah, what band are you really in?"
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

My girlfriend is currently obsessed with the first song on "Funeral". She asks me to play it over and over again, and I happily oblige.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i did have the album sitting here, i just hadn't listened to it yet. i remedied that problem this morning... it's got some really great songs on it.
knob

Post by knob »

I went immediately to the iTunes music store after reading this thread.

Maybe my young age is showing through, but I found it borderline unbearable. That's just me and everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

I'm more of an Eels fanboy.
If I had a sig, would you read it?
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

Valael wrote:I went immediately to the iTunes music store after reading this thread.

Maybe my young age is showing through, but I found it borderline unbearable. That's just me and everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

I'm more of an Eels fanboy.
Give it a few more listens before you abandon it. I can see how it might be a little tough to swallow at first if your ear hasn't been tuned through countless years of Pixies-like rock.
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

I'm another who thinks the Arcade Fire record is...occasionally OK. I can take it in 5-minute doses...and then I need to listen to something that isn't nearly as cloying, cutesy, and loaded with pitchforkmedia-friendly pretentions to cleanse my palate. 10 minutes of the Arcade Fire usually means listening to 20 minutes of The Fall or Nick Cave just to get my equilibrium back.

I find this record and the Fiery Furnaces disc from earlier in the year to be some of the most insufferably coy and fey non-rock to come along in quite some time--like since at least the last Bright Eyes CD.

...and yeah, that's a minority opinion. Pretty much everyone else I know has The Arcade Fire sitting atop their best of list for the year. Different strokes, I guess.
"It's my manner, sir. It looks insubordinate, but it isn't, really."
Sunderer

Post by Sunderer »

Valael and Trigger said it much more nicely than I would have.
"Now, she should be good-looking, but we're willing to trade looks for a certain... morally casual attitude."
Kratz

Post by Kratz »

Hadn't heard this so went and listened... not my cup of tea. Annoying in the same way that Modest Mouse makes me want to kill myself. But I didn't come in here just to slag on your favorite band, so...

KEXP has great live performances that you can listen to on the internet, and find in their streaming archives. There are several Supersuckers & Eddie Spaghetti performances in their archive that are terrific.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i actually found their album from last year to be not-that-great.

anyways, heard another cool song this morning - Joseph Arthur "Even Tho" - i have his first two albums, then kinda forgot about him. he's not on Peter Gabriel's label anymore:

gonna have to listen to the rest of this. i'd also like to make a mention of The Twilight Singer's version of Bjork's "Hyperballad" and this is the best year in recent memory for music that makes your spine freeze-up....
rrmorton

Post by rrmorton »

I agree with Triggercut about The Fiery Furnaces. I avoided BLUEBERRY BOAT forever thinking I wouldn't like it, then finally bought it when I saw it on sale. Should've listened to my instinct. They bug the crap outta me. SETTLE THE F*CK DOWN, YOU A.D.D. FREAKS!

But not The Arcade Fire. Oh no. I LOOOOOOVE that disc, especially the double-whammy centerpiece tracks 5 & 6, Crown of Love and Wake Up. I've never heard the word "adjust" sung with so much conviction. And he doesn't even bother with the last two letters!

I guess we'll just have to adJUUUUUUUUUhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhUUUUHHHHHHHHHHuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHUUUUUUUUHHHHuhhhhhhh ohhhhh OHHHHHHHH
bluefugue

Post by bluefugue »

What is "pitchforkmedia"? Is that sort of like Evil Corporate Radio?
AttAdude

Post by AttAdude »

omg its like David Bowie and Robert Smith had musical sex. spawned the worlds most ugly baby and put it on an record.
AttAdude
When confronted with offensive TV, the fundamental differences between the Conservative and liberal factions becomes blatantly obvious. Conservatives will piss and moan, then file a complaint with the FCC in an attempt to make sure the offending show is never seen by anyone. Liberals... well we just change the damn channel.
rrmorton

Post by rrmorton »