45%
Ring
55%

Total votes: 33

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

[Jewelry] Which is better?

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I'm getting one of these as a gift, that much is decided. Which is cooler? And of somewhat less importance, which is more practical?

Price is the same, I think.

Brooch:

Ring:
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Mitma

Post by Mitma »

what kind of jewelry does the person wear? For example, I like rings but I am running out of fingers to wear them on. both are cool, but I would vote for the ring personally. I don't wear brooches.
Carpe Diem
MHS

Post by MHS »

I'd wear the brooch before I'd wear the ring just because I can see the ring catching on stuff due to the way it's shaped. But I tend to be uber-practical that way, and don't wear jewelry anyway, so maybe you shouldn't trust my opinion.
Mitma

Post by Mitma »

i agree with MHS, it depends on what this person does. If a ring would get in the way I would get the brooch.
Carpe Diem
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Definatly the first one the ring is too wierd looking. I mean hell that would stand out like a mofo anytime you wore it.
snoleopard

Post by snoleopard »

I agree with MHS. The ring would get stuck on things. There's nothing worse than wearing a slinky black dress, and getting a snag in it from your ring...makes a woman want to :cry:
Azhure

Post by Azhure »

Another vote for the brooch, the ring would be getting caught on things all the time I expect.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

For that design, I would vote for the brooch. Nothing against rings, I just think the design might look a little odd on a finger. But, since you presumably saw the ring on a finger :?: you might have a different opinion. And I would definitely be more worried about snapping a wing off on the ring.
Jeff V

Re: [Jewelry] Which is better?

Post by Jeff V »

LawBeefaroni wrote:I'm getting one of these as a gift, that much is decided. Which is cooler?
Sorry, dude, neither one looks very manly - if I were you I'd regift or find out where they bought it and return it. Who decided to get you fruity jewlery? :?
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

Jeff V wrote:
LawBeefaroni wrote:I'm getting one of these as a gift, that much is decided. Which is cooler?
Sorry, dude, neither one looks very manly - if I were you I'd regift or find out where they bought it and return it. Who decided to get you fruity jewlery? :?
My first reaction was "why the hell would a man wear a brooch?" How metrosexual can one be before he falls into the cross-dressing category?
Black Lives Matter
Padre

Post by Padre »

The only jewelry you'll ever need....

"For the fashionista gangsta who wants to have all of his or her bases covered, the Bling Bling medallion from Chi Ha Paura melds together virtually every corporate logo they could think of into one gold plated talisman that is most definitely guaranteed to piss off Naomi Klein."
Odin

Post by Odin »

My first thought was "that ring would get caught on stuff." Then I read the other posts and I guess I'm not alone. Go with the brooch.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Biyobi wrote:
Jeff V wrote:
My first reaction was "why the hell would a man wear a brooch?" How metrosexual can one be before he falls into the cross-dressing category?
It's a gift for the old lady. I guess I should have said I'm giving one as a gift.

I had similar thoughts about the ring being kind of awkward. I'm sure it would bend easily too. I just don't know what a brooch is for. Just a pin you wear?
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Odin

Post by Odin »

Basically, yeah. It's just decorative.
Discalced

Post by Discalced »

You could always go for the medieval ring-brooch and kill two birds with one stone.

Kschang77

Depends, depends...

Post by Kschang77 »

If you've got the budget, I got a small brooch, maybe about the same size as your dragonfly here, but a bumblebee made of rubies...
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

My wife is into jewelry big time but rings is her thing.She wears 8-10 rings at a time when she goes out and changes them frequently.(always has different combinations)She doesn't care for brooches.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Where is Prince Albert in this?
Austin

Post by Austin »

Brooch.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Went with the brooch. It was only a bit larger than the ring, which is perfect. I was thinking it was some big clasp meant to hold a jacket shut or something. It's more just a decorative pin.

Because of travel and a wedding we're going to, I'm going to give it to her today, a few days early.

MYT
DD

Post by DD »

LordMortis wrote:Where is Prince Albert in this?
In a can, I think.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

DD wrote:
LordMortis wrote:Where is Prince Albert in this?
In a can, I think.
Not any more. Some kid called and said I'd better let him out.

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

The Prince Albert I am thinking, conjures a whole new imagery when it is in a can.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

LordMortis wrote:The Prince Albert I am thinking, conjures a whole new imagery when it is in a can.
No way I'm doing that.

MYT
Meghan

Post by Meghan »

she'll love the brooch but the ring would be better for smacking people with ...
If I ventured in the slipstream / between the viaducts of your dream

aka merneith, aka kylhwch