Grammy nominations are announced

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Grievous Angel

Grammy nominations are announced

Post by Grievous Angel »

http://www.grammy.com/awards/grammy/47noms.aspx

I know these things have little if anything to do with music, but it was nice to see Wilco pick up one (yes, just one) nomination for alternative album of the year. Tift Merritt got a nod for country album of the year, which is another plus. And seeing the Notorious Cherry Bombs (a Nashville supergroup featuring Rodney Crowell and Vince Gill) get two nominations for the song "It's Hard To Kiss The Lips At Night That Chew Your Ass Out All Day Long" did put a smile on my face.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Let's see...

Do I own any of the Record of the Year nominees? No.
Album of the Year? Nope.
Have I heard any of the Song of the Year nominees? Nuh-uh.
Do I know any of the Best New Artists? I've heard the Los Lonely Boy's song 'Heaven' and I first head and stopped listening to Maroon5 back in 2003.

I don't know anything from the next few categories until Category 7. Then we've got to go to Category 16 for even something I've HEARD. Then we got nuthin' until Category 20. After that we've got to go all the way to Category 79 among the soundtracks for something else I've heard. I'm not even going to bother going past there.

Man, no wonder I don't pay attention to award shows.
SuperHiro

Post by SuperHiro »

Mos Def is up for one. GO MIGHTY MOS DEF.

Roots are up, which is always good... but I don't think they can beat out their competitors. They had a good album as usual though, and they certainly grab the title of The Grammy's "Black Guys we can all agree with".

I'm thinking Kanye West will grab a few. I want Jay-Z to win for "99 Problems". Mericful god Rick Rubin is awesome. He needs to produce more hip hop stuff.

But generally I could care less about the Grammy's. I watched a VH1 special on the history of them and it was just so sad. So sad. As in pathetic. Awards for "Best Disco Album" given out in the 80's. Jethro Tull. Fun stuff like that.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

The day Milli Vanilli won a grammy was the day I stopped paying attention.

One of my favorite Simpsons moments is during the "Barbershop Quartet" episode, where Homer gives a bellhop a tip.

Bellhop: Hey, it's an awards statuette! Oh, it's a grammy
<Bellhop chucks worthless statute out the window>

:D
godhugh
Forum Admin

Post by godhugh »

I was happy to see Green Day got a few nominations. Other then that, it looks like the usual Grammy crap.
To my Wife:

"Life's only life with you in this song" -Whistles the Wind, Flogging Molly

Not to my Wife:

- "When someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for his life."
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

They have an award for best ALBUM NOTES. That's silly.
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
rrmorton

Post by rrmorton »

No surprise Wilco and The Shins got nominated for Best Recording Package. Those are handsome CDs.

And I guarantee the Best Boxed Package Grammy will go to the box set of old timey spirituals called Goodbye Babylon. The inclusion of real cotton is uniquely inspired. Audio clips and info here.

I've had my eye on that for quite some time but the $100 price tag is awful steep.
Four and a half years in the making, Goodbye, Babylon consists of the following:
- 5 CDs featuring 135 Songs (1902-1960) • 1 CD featuring 25 Sermons (1926-1941)
- 200 page book with Bible verses, complete lyric transcriptions, and notes for each recording
- Notes and essays by musicologists and scholars, including several Grammy® winners
- Reverently packed with raw cotton and housed in a deluxe 8" x 11" x 2.5" cedar box

"This fantastic box of holy ruckus is the greatest anthology of antique Southern sacred song and oratory ever assembled." - David Fricke, Rolling Stone

"It can't be overstated just how perfectly realized this set is, from song selection to mastering, writing and design. There's not a wasted moment or page." - David Greenberger, No Depression
These folks compiled a new (very, very old) Christmas CD compilation as well, entitled WHERE WILL YOU BE CHRISTMAS DAY. I'm heading to Tower later to see if they have it.

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Well, as the only thing new to really seriously turn me on musically in the last year has been Flogging Molly's new album and they aren't on the list, then there isn't much for me. There have been several other albums to come out that don't even get a nod there, such as the new Social D album, while at the same time I pretty much ignorant of everything else. (I did try to listen to Franz Ferdinand when Trig was pimping it, as well as several other GG-OO worshipped bands, but I just can't seem to get into them at all.)
Napoleon

Post by Napoleon »

Green Day's latest is actually a pretty good album, one of their best, if you like that sort of thing.

If you're into stuff like that, Alicia Keys is very good. And I personally think Joss Stone has a great voice. Now, she only needs a couple of good songs to go along with it :)

And my first real big laugh when going through the nominees:
Best Pop Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocal
It's My Life
No Doubt
Track from: The Singles 1992-2003
[Interscope Records]

LOL! Great choice sirs!

Also, these grammies have way, way, way, way too many categories.
Where Cows Congregate - The Bovine Conspiracy