Let's help a young boy smile!

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Tareeq

Let's help a young boy smile!

Post by Tareeq »

I am writing this article to request something for a terminally ill boy.

Craig Shergold is a seven year old boy who has terminal cancer. His ambition before he dies is to be included in the Guinness Book of Records as having the largest collection of business cards.

My request is that EVERYONE who reads this posting send at least one business card to him at:

Craig Shergold
c/o Children's Make a Wish Foundation
13567 Tarrant Parkway
Atlanta, GA 30312

Let's make a child's dream come true before its too late.

Best wishes.

Tareeq
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

errr, Snopes has some bad news...
There really is a Craig Shergold, and he did have cancer. In 1989 an appeal was made on behalf of this then 9-year-old English boy afflicted with a terminal brain tumor. Young Craig wanted to be in the Guinness Book of World Records for having received the most greeting cards. By 1990, 16 million cards had arrived, and his wish had come true. (According to the 1997 edition of that book, by May 1991 he had collected 33 million.)

Ah, but that was then, and this is now. Shergold's tumor was successfully removed in March 1991, and this lad (born 24 June 1979) is now a healthy young man. However, like the implements in the Sorceror's Apprentice, the cards and letters have proved impossible to stop -- they just keep rolling in. Several versions of the Craig Shergold appeal still circulate, and almost every one of them now asks for business cards, not greeting cards. (In yet another form of the same hoax, compliments slips are solicited.)
Grievous Angel

Post by Grievous Angel »

4 minutes. What took you so long?
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

I know a boy who in less than 80 years will be dead. His last wish is to collect as many $20 bills as possible. Please make his wish come true by sending as many of these bills as you can to the following address:

Captain Caveman
Octopus Overlords Lane
Durham, NC
Windows95

Post by Windows95 »

Captain Caveman wrote:I know a boy who in less than 80 years will be dead. His last wish is to collect as many $20 bills as possible. Please make his wish come true by sending as many of these bills as you can to the following address:

Captain Caveman
Octopus Overlords Lane
Durham, NC
Damn, all I have is a $100. Can he send me change?
The Red Man

Post by The Red Man »

This white man's stripling is cut down by a pestilence that is of the white man's own making. For many a moon, the white man has sickened our children with his poisons. From the whiskey which causes our young men to go crazy, to the power transmission lines which burn our crops, to the lead mine at Crow Creek where the babies are born without fingers.

Now the white man's poisons have infected the land which he stole, the waters he drinks, the very air he breathes. Even so, I say to you that this Craig Shergold's fate is not a just one. For justice to be done, this sickness would have to infect even the Great White Father. I will send this boy a card, and tell him so.
"Where are the Pequot? Where are the Narragansett, the Mohawks, the Pocanit and the many once powerful tribes of our people? They have vanished before the avarice and the oppression of the white man as snow before the summer sun."
Al

I still want to know if this means Guido is single.

Post by Al »

Now if Mr. Fed posts this thread will have a hat trick.
Windows95

Post by Windows95 »

The Red Man wrote:This white man's stripling is cut down by a pestilence that is of the white man's own making. For many a moon, the white man has sickened our children with his poisons. From the whiskey which causes our young men to go crazy, to the power transmission lines which burn our crops, to the lead mine at Crow Creek where the babies are born without fingers.

Now the white man's poisons have infected the land which he stole, the waters he drinks, the very air he breathes. Even so, I say to you that this Craig Shergold's fate is not a just one. For justice to be done, this sickness would have to infect even the Great White Father. I will send this boy a card, and tell him so.
And to think I was just asking myself what the Native American viewpoint on the Craig Shergold matter might be.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Exodor wrote:errr, Snopes has some bad news...
Hehehe, I thought of this the moment I read what Tareeq posted. This was soo obviously a Snoopes moment.

Grifman
Mr. Fed

Post by Mr. Fed »

Grifman wrote:
Exodor wrote:errr, Snopes has some bad news...
Hehehe, I thought of this the moment I read what Tareeq posted. This was soo obviously a Snoopes moment.

Grifman
A little too obviously.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Nice job pulling at our heartstrings. This is no better than the Nigerian email scam. I already had my business card out to send to the poor child. For shame, For shame!
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Well,maybe with a little luck he'll get cancer again and we can send him business cards again.Image
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

Actually, he never wanted business cards. He was asking for greeting cards.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
Spike

Post by Spike »

Suitably Ironic Moniker wrote:neé Bubbles
You have your accent on the wrong 'e'. That should be "née" and should only have the second 'e' if you're female. :D
"The avalanche has already begun. It is too late for the pebbles to vote." - Kosh
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

My mortification is off the charts :oops: .
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

And just what,pray tell is Red Man's business card going to say? :idea:
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949