They remade "Flight of the Phoenix"?!?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Giles Habibula

They remade "Flight of the Phoenix"?!?

Post by Giles Habibula »

Is Hollywood so hard-up that they are now remaking old mediocre movies?

I saw the original on TCM a couple years ago (with Jimmy Stewart), and while it was an okay movie, I certainly don't think it warranted a remake. A plane crashes in the desert and the next two hours are spent painfully watching them try to get the plane to fly again. Does that even qualify as a plot?
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I too,was barely able to sit thru the first one.A remake?How about instead they don't make it back from the first one and crash again and have to make a land speeder out of the remains?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Teggy

Post by Teggy »

But those are the best movies to re-make. A movie that is "ok", but with some tweaking could be great. I haven't seen the original, but it sounds like it has potential. Although I don't know what's up with the Mad Max-like gang in the commercial.

Re-make movies that could use improvement - better than remaking Psycho or another classic that doesn't have anything wrong with it to begin with.
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

dbt1949 wrote:I too,was barely able to sit thru the first one.A remake?How about instead they don't make it back from the first one and crash again and have to make a land speeder out of the remains?
Maybe when they crash again they can land on Gilligan's Island. Hilarity ensues as they try to make a new airplane from palm trees and coconuts.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I liked the original for being a psychological drama about group dynamics. The remake looks like typical Hollywood action garbage, at least from the promo I saw. If that's accurate, I'll pass.
Koz

Post by Koz »

I also enjoyed the first one. I saw it during German history class as a sort of Hollywoodized version of the culture conflicts between the Germans and other Europeans and Americans. I'm sure most of that will be bypassed in a modern remake.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

As far as I can tell from the trailer, they crash just outside of Thunderdome and are chased by Mad Max's enemies.

The first trailer I saw i couldn't even tell what era it was supposed to be. The second, I only knew because they said something like, "They're on their way home from Iraq..."
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Kasey Chang

Read Flight of the Condor instead

Post by Kasey Chang »

Read "Flight of the Condor" instead.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Papageno

Post by Papageno »

I liked the old film a lot, actually. It is more of a psychological drama, though.
WAW

Post by WAW »

I always thought it was cool they really build and flew that plane. It killed the stunt pliot. :( And the talent in the first movie was first rate.
You want to know how I did it? This is how I did it, Anton. I never saved anything for the swim back!
WW
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

WAW wrote:I always thought it was cool they really build and flew that plane. It killed the stunt pliot. :( And the talent in the first movie was first rate.
I had no idea.
May have to rent it and see it again. It's been a while.
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

The book is pretty decent....
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

So is this the version where a group of people crash in the desert and are attacked by sandpeople but one of survivors is the sandpeople's Messiah so after taking some hallocinogens and a big orgy the sandpeople take them through the desert on sandworms to visit this old hermit called "Ben" who can help them take the secret plans they were smuggling to the rebels but on the way to the local town they had to fight Nazis searching for the Ark of the Covenant but luckily The Scorpion King showed up to rescue them.

And the part of Lawrence of Arabia is played by Jude Law.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Ironrod wrote:I liked the original for being a psychological drama about group dynamics. The remake looks like typical Hollywood action garbage, at least from the promo I saw. If that's accurate, I'll pass.
Yeah, same here. I just saw the original a few months ago either on AMC or TCM and thought it was pretty good.

Grifman
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

But those are the best movies to re-make. A movie that is "ok", but with some tweaking could be great.
See: John Carpenter's The Thing.