[Under the Radar]New Terry Goodkind

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Austin

[Under the Radar]New Terry Goodkind

Post by Austin »

Chainfire

This one came in under the radar. I enjoyed a bunch of the early ones and the series went into a steady decline. It was one of the first fantasy series that hooked me though so I have hope... well had hope. I just read the summary and it ain't looking much better.
After being gravely injured in battle, Richard awakes to discover Kahlan missing. To his disbelief, no one remembers the woman he is frantically trying to find. Worse, no one believes that she really exists, or that he was ever married. Alone as never before, he must find the woman he loves more than life itself....if she is even still alive. If she was ever even real.
Anyone read this one yet?
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Um, wrong forum?
Austin

Post by Austin »

yeah... move me.

I reported my sorry ass.
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

I'm considering banning you just on principle here. . .

;)

Oft to EBG.

Hmmm. Beaten to the punch. *glares*
malichai11

Post by malichai11 »

It's awful. I don't think I have the energy to type up a big fat long review of this putrid piece of trash, but it's really bad.

On the other hand, if you're of the opinion that his books are getting BETTER since Blood of the Fold, that each successive book is even more glorious than the previous, you'll love this book.

However, if you feel that his work has been getting worse and worse and are hoping Chainfire is a return to his earlier triumphs, you will be disappointed.
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

Too much of the same thing isn't a good thing. He should think about writing new characters.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'm glad I recognized Goodkind's writing as total garbage the first chapter I read of his first book. That way I didn't waste my time (I have an odd compulsion to read everything by an author once I read one book). Seriously, that book was so bad it's one of the first time in ages I can remember just stopping in mid-chapter and taking it back to the library.

I can't imagine that they actually get WORSE.
Biyobi

Re: [Under the Radar]New Terry Goodkind

Post by Biyobi »

After being gravely injured in battle, Richard awakes to discover Kahlan missing. To his disbelief, no one remembers the woman he is frantically trying to find. Worse, no one believes that she really exists, or that he was ever married. Alone as never before, he must find the woman he loves more than life itself....if she is even still alive. If she was ever even real.
Isn't that the plotline of the first several books (after the first)? It seemed that Richard was always getting seperated from Kahlan and spent the whole book trying to get back to her. I gave up after the third book so I don't know if Terry carried on this grand tradition.
Black Lives Matter
warning

Post by warning »

I started the first book but gave up when I got to the mud-village people. I saw a dark future ahead of me if I were to continue reading.
Andrew Wonser

Post by Andrew Wonser »

He definitely is in the same boat as Robert Jordan with me. They both had a good series until about book three and then tried so hard to stretch it beyond that, resulting in a horrid story.
Ah, so he has retractable metal claws that punch through his flesh, just like a real wolverine.
Right, just like a real wolverine.
Ah, and his metal retractable claws can easily cut through hardened steel, just like a real wolverine.
Just like a real one, exactly.
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

Read it. Lousy until the final 50 pages or so.

I don't want to post spoilers, so I'll just say that Richard's attempts at convincing people are unconvincing, at best (anyone who's read it will understand that; for those that haven't, I don't think that gives away anyway). Some horribly childish dialogue and umpteen repetitive conversations, too.

On the upside, the last fifty pages or so were decent (stuff actually happened), and it sounds like the next book is going to be the last in the series (lots about Richard's "final battle" gets said).

- Ash
Austin

Post by Austin »

If qp buys it, I'll borrow it when he's done. :P I actually enjoyed Faith of the Fallen, but besides that one the first 3 or so were good than steadily down hill.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I absolutely loved the first 5 books in this series. Sure, Goodkind has the verbal squirts, but the characters and the world really drew me in. Faith of the Fallen wasn't quite as good, but there was definately still hope. Pillars of Creation was a "WTF?" book, and Naked Empire was laughably bad. I told myself I'd give him one more book to redeem himself.

I almost gave in and picked this one up the other day. Thanks for saving me the $25. I might check it out when it hits paperback, but I think I'm probably done with this series.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Greg Wak

Post by Greg Wak »

The problem is I've got sucked into the series and I have to find out how it ends. I wish I could just walk away but I can't.
warning

Post by warning »

Greg Wak wrote:The problem is I've got sucked into the series and I have to find out how it ends. I wish I could just walk away but I can't.
Yes you can. Don't believe the lies. You can walk away Greg. There is help.
SuperHiro

Post by SuperHiro »

Greg Wak wrote:The problem is I've got sucked into the series and I have to find out how it ends. I wish I could just walk away but I can't.
It won't end. EVER. It will only end when he dies at his keyboard in the middle of his latest manuscript.

And so Richard finally jjjjjjdfsjdfsjlahfjhjdsakdhfhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
The end. Sorry for the spoilers.
GamrIrv

Post by GamrIrv »

:shock:

LOL
Austin

Post by Austin »

SuperHiro wrote:jjjjjjdfsjdfsjlahfjhjdsakdhfhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
So Gratch is back than? :P
yossar

Post by yossar »

Skinypupy wrote:I almost gave in and picked this one up the other day. Thanks for saving me the $25. I might check it out when it hits paperback, but I think I'm probably done with this series.
Where I come from they have this place called a "library" where you can "borrow" books that you don't necessarily want to buy. For free even. The might have one in your area too. Or they might not.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

yossar wrote:
Skinypupy wrote:I almost gave in and picked this one up the other day. Thanks for saving me the $25. I might check it out when it hits paperback, but I think I'm probably done with this series.
Where I come from they have this place called a "library" where you can "borrow" books that you don't necessarily want to buy. For free even. The might have one in your area too. Or they might not.
The closest library is 45 minutes from my house with good traffic. No thanks.
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

Skinypupy wrote:
yossar wrote:
Isn't Salt Lake City a pretty big metropolitan? Why does it take you 45 minutes?
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Dirt wrote:
Skinypupy wrote:
yossar wrote:
Isn't Salt Lake City a pretty big metropolitan? Why does it take you 45 minutes?
I'm in one of the really far south, really far west suburbs of Salt Lake. In reality, it's not Salt Lake proper. But saying I live in SLC gives people a reference.
qp

Post by qp »

I think this is how the book goes:

Richard (Whining) "Kahlan is kidnapped waaa waaa waaaa"
Zedd (or someone) "Use your powers asshat"
Richard (Whining) "But I don't know how......"
Zedd "The 12th Wizard's Rule is STFU AND QUIT YOUR BLUBBERING"
Richard - discovers some new power and saves Kahlan
Kahlan - I love you
Richard - I love you
Emperor Jagang - "AHEM, Excuse me, I'm taking over the world bitches"

Richard - huh, where'd Kahlan go...
Game developer in Port Hope, Ontario
Five Archers Corporation
@FiveArchers on Twitter!
infoghost

Post by infoghost »

qp wrote:I think this is how the book goes:

Kahlan - I love you
Richard - I love you

PERFECT!
Austin

Post by Austin »

Yeah, qp nailed it. I'd add one more waaaaaaaa though. That boy really can whine for a hero. :P
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Kahlan - I love you
Richard - I love you

Bravo, man. Bravo.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Skinypupy wrote:

Kahlan - I love you
Richard - I love you

Bravo, man. Bravo.
ALMOST perfect. Throw in some gratuitous and explicit sexual torture and then you nail it.
warning

Post by warning »

Kahlan - I love you
Richard - I love you

Nice. Except that was the first book. Are you telling me that this is also EVERY OTHER FREAKIN' BOOK IN THE SERIES? Yikes! Work that formula baby!
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

Nice. Except that was the first book. Are you telling me that this is also EVERY OTHER FREAKIN' BOOK IN THE SERIES? Yikes! Work that formula baby!
Pretty much (though I've only read the first 3, I'll note).

Kahlan did do the "discover some new power" thing in Book 1 of course. She didn't quite get to save Dick with it as I recall. And I don't remember her discovering many new powers post book 1. So book 1 has that going for it.
qp

Post by qp »

Well I finally read this book (got it in paperback form at Christmas...sticking to my "not gonna buy it in hardcover" guns)

Best Sword of Truth novel in awhile I'd say. After several horrible crapfests, Chainfire actually was a good read. The "preaching" is kept to a relative minimum (I agree with a lot of points in his books, but he bashes you over the head with them so often that eventually I wish I didn't agree, or at least that I had a different book to read!) Things are done, the story is interesting. Richard is not very whiney at all.

Won't go into details as I don't want to spoil it. Bit of a cliffhanger and I'm looking forward to the next book in the series.

I'd say it's about as good as Faith of the Fallen, not quite as good as Stone of Tears. (Now I'm working on "To Crush The Moon")
Game developer in Port Hope, Ontario
Five Archers Corporation
@FiveArchers on Twitter!