Reentry - An Orbital Simulator (and a lot more!!!)

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

jztemple2

Reentry - An Orbital Simulator (and a lot more!!!)

Post by jztemple2 »

I've come across a game I've never heard of which is weird considering what a space nerd I am:

I've come across several videos done by someone called N9 Gaming, I'll post a few of them here. They are rather long so I recommend just skimming through them at first to get a feel for the game.

The dev has also posted some tutorial videos. Check out the thirty-four minute video on how to do an orbital burn :shock:

Or a simpler, twelve minute video on how to charge your batteries on the Apollo spacecraft.

Finally a last video from N9 Gaming, where the host experiences an on-ascent abort (NOT planned)
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Hrdina

Re: Reentry - An Orbital Simulator (and a lot more!!!)

Post by Hrdina »

Apparently I marked this as "Following" on Steam a long time ago, but honestly haven't been following it very closely.
Conform or be cast out!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

That 2nd video of the Saturn V launch was awesome. haha That guy really has all the details down doesn't he.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I don't want to watch all those videos, so I'll just ask: Is the player merely replaying history, or rewriting it?
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Kraken wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 9:10 pm I don't want to watch all those videos, so I'll just ask: Is the player merely replaying history, or rewriting it?
Since apparently there are malfunctions in the game that were not in the history, I'm guessing you can be rewriting history. That last video is an ascent abort which did not happen in the Mercury program.

I've purchased the game and am downloading right now. I'll do some impressions later on or tomorrow.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Just my first little run in Reentry. I just wanted to see how things looked. My attempt to launch my Mercury/Redstone failed because I didn't position any switches before launch, duh. I just wanted to post a look at the graphics.

A screenshot of the introduction from the dev that explains things a bit better
Enlarge Image

Main menu page with some other pages that show what is available in the game
Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

You forgot to light the fuse.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

This video contains the Mercury Academy Pre-Launch lesson. It does a good job explaining how the views work, how to move switches and how to move the camera.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

This is the next lesson in the Mercury Academy. You will learn the steps needed to go through launch and ascent, including more information on the various switches and gauges.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

One nice little touch in the game, put in some time ago to celebrate getting a certain number of folks on their Discord channel, is an Exhibition that allows you to actually walk around the base of a Saturn V on the MLP (Mobile Launch Platform) on Pad A of Launch Complex 39. Even cooler is that you can go up the stairs of the tower and get a close up look at the different umbilicals and crew access arm.

What is even cooler for me is that you can look across to the Liquid Hydrogen storage area where I first went to work in 1977. You can even see my trailer :D. Extra points if you can identify what that square structure with the "W"s is in the upper center left.

Enlarge Image
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Another lesson, this one teaches you how to use checklists and also explains the differences between the Redstone and Atlas launch vehicles.

In this video we learn about the electrical systems in the Mercury spacecraft.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

The final four:

In this video we learn about the Mercury spacecraft attitude control systems, both automatic and manual.

In this lesson you learn all about the Mercury ECS, the Environmental Control System, what it does and what you need to do if it doesn't.

In this lesson we learn about the sequencer that controls the sequence of events from launch to landing of the spacecraft, including displays and switches.

In this, the final exam, we go from pre-launch to launch, ascent, retro burn and landing, mimicking the Mercury suborbital flights.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

This evening I completed three more Mercury career missions. I did record them on video, but won't upload unless requested, since I haven't gotten any feedback on my previous videos :? :roll: :evil:

The first was just a dress rehearsal, bringing the Mercury spacecraft from a T-90m C&D (Cold and Dark) configuration to a T-5m configuration. The next mission was an actual sub-orbital flight, from pre-launch through launch, ascent, a short sub-orbital arc, then a retro-fire, entry and landing.

The third mission was the fun one. Instead of launching on the simpler Redstone rocket, we launched the Florida Explorer I spacecraft :wink: on an Atlas rocket for an orbital flight. From pre-launch to launch and ascent, which of course was longer than the sub-orbital flight. Ascent was fine and interesting, this being a "stage and a half" rocket.

Once on orbit we had a bit of a hiccup, as ground control believed I might be having a problem with my number two battery. I had to do troubleshooting to verify it was dead and do some switch throwing to take it off-line. Fun stuff!

Once on orbit I did some manual flying to point the spacecraft towards the booster to practice station keeping. Then some more pointing around with the thrusters which I wasn't very good at. And I managed to almost run out of fuel for the automatic system, leaving me almost at the point of having to do an Apollo 13 and manual point the spacecraft for the reentry burn. Happily I had just enough fuel and all went well... almost.

The reentry looked good:
Enlarge Image

But instead of landing well off the east coast of Florida, I landed off the west coast up in the Big Bend area near Tallahassee. If you take a good look at the screenshot, you'll notice where I landed.
Enlarge Image

But it is all a lot of fun for a space nut like myself :D
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

jztemple2 wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 12:25 am Extra points if you can identify what that square structure with the "W"s is in the upper center left.
I think that is the burn pond?
Used to dispose of vented hydrogen gas...

Is that right?
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Unagi wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 11:23 am
jztemple2 wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 12:25 am Extra points if you can identify what that square structure with the "W"s is in the upper center left.
I think that is the burn pond?
Used to dispose of vented hydrogen gas...

Is that right?
Ding!! Ding!! Ding!!

Correct :D. Over a thousand standpipes with "bubble caps" on each so that the hydrogen would bubble up and be burned off. Each cap had to adjusted on a threaded rod; too low in the water and there would be too much back pressure in the pipe, too high and in a breeze the waves in the pond might cause the hydrogen to burn without being broken up into bubbles, damaging the standpipe.

Every few months the height of each cap would have to be checked using a surveying theodolite. Some poor smuch junior engineer would have to stand in the water next to each standpipe with a measuring staff and adjust the height of the cap. Not a lot of fun in the winter :roll:. I managed to avoid this job thanks to my programming work.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yow, that looks complicated. I think I'll leave it to the experts! :D

Though I do remember a sim by the name of Orbiter from years back, and this looks along those lines.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Since I was asked to provide some narration to my Reentry videos, I decided to do one with me describing things as the mission goes along. This is a free play Mercury/Atlas mission, but with a difference. In the settings I have changed the Failures value to 100% per cycle, a cycle being two to five minutes. So every few minutes I am guaranteed a failure, which one I do not know.

Things start off well at first, but then end badly. Enjoy the show!

Also, let me know how the voice volume sounds to you. This is my first narrated video with a new headset and I'm not if it is too loud or not loud enough.

WYBaugh

Post by WYBaugh »

jz, you are a natural! Really enjoyed the video and it's good to put a voice to the cow.

Was the main issue that you were not at the correct attitude when doing the retro burn?
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

WYBaugh wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 2:02 pm jz, you are a natural! Really enjoyed the video and it's good to put a voice to the cow.

Was the main issue that you were not at the correct attitude when doing the retro burn?
Thanks for posting about my video! Always good to have feedback.

Yes, by accelerating time I missed my planned retro burn time and apparently the gyros weren't properly aligned. And perhaps this might have been a failure as well. I'm thinking I'll do another Mercury free play mission but this time turn off random failures and see how things go.

It is also possible to insert specific, chosen failures. This would be good for training and for video demonstration purposes.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Loved the video. I was a little worried about hearing your voice, and well - not liking it (like when a movie uses 'the wrong' actor with a character from a book you know and love...) but - nope, it's almost exactly how I expected you to sound in my head.

I wondered; when you -will- have a malfunction every 5 minutes, were there not quite a few undetected problems afflicting you?

Also, I loved your casual professional input/narrative on the whole thing. Well done.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Unagi wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 6:23 pm Loved the video. I was a little worried about hearing your voice, and well - not liking it (like when a movie uses 'the wrong' actor with a character from a book you know and love...) but - nope, it's almost exactly how I expected you to sound in my head.

I wondered; when you -will- have a malfunction every 5 minutes, were there not quite a few undetected problems afflicting you?

Also, I loved your casual professional input/narrative on the whole thing. Well done.
Thanks for the compliments :wub:

Yup, there probably are some undetected problems. That's why next time I'm going to instead specifically insert known failures to show how to deal with them. It will probably be more interesting that not uncovering a problem :roll:. Also I'm going to some editing to try to trim out the dull stuff and maybe put more than one mission in a single video if it is appropriate.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Your descent meter never moved off the green peg.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 8:18 pm Your descent meter never moved off the green peg.
Yup, the retro fire would have seemed to be in the wrong direction. I need to spend some time learning more about the gyros and the automatic attitude system.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Even during launch.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 8:25 pm Even during launch.
Maybe that was another failure! Yeah, random failures when I'm trying to learn the systems is a bit much.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

jztemple2 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 8:52 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 8:25 pm Even during launch.
Maybe that was another failure! Yeah, random failures when I'm trying to learn the systems is a bit much.
Also, @9:52

"Well, while we are waiting for something to go wrong, let's have a little fun..."
:ninja:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Another Mercury free play mission with narration. This one includes T-5m pre-launch through ascent and then to orbit. I demonstrate sleep mode (red cabin lights, shutters closed). And then I switch to flight control manual mode and throw the capsule around, then recover and realign the gyros. I also included a number of external views of staging and on orbit.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Show me some gimbal lock, baby!
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

If we can put in requests...

I'd like to see you take a mission and simulate there is any failure (doesn't need to actually have a failure), but that the mission must be aborted - and the challenge is to put yourself down for recovery as close to the coast of Africa as possible.
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

I'm glad you did your homework on the gyros between videos. That second one was very edumacational. :pop:

I liked your videos better than the N9 ones. He spends too much time laughing and not enough time following procedures.
Conform or be cast out!
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I can do the Mercury program, but the Gemini stuff may be getting out of reach.

This guys video made me feel like I wouldn't be able to handle it (he's quite impressive with his natural ease in the capsule).

WYBaugh

Post by WYBaugh »

He needs to learn how to pronounce Gemini
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

WYBaugh wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 8:53 pm He needs to learn how to pronounce Gemini
LOL! totally, I had the same thought (over and over).

I wondered if he (thought he) was talking about the plural of Gemini... Geminii...