2024 Fundraising - $1001 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

Too soon to start thinking about 2024?

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

El Guapo

Re: Too soon to start thinking about 2024?

Post by El Guapo »

I have to think that the #1 priority for Trump is obedience. Mainly, who (unlike Pence) would have followed his orders on January 6th? I don't think Haley scores high enough on that test to be Trump's VP choice.
Black Lives Matter.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Which is probably why Tim Scott refused to say if he would accept the 2024 election results when asked earlier this week.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Kraken wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 3:26 pm
Even likely, I daresay. He's already visibly suffering dementia.
I'm hoping that he's willing to debate Biden one-on-one after he actually gets the nomination. I can't help but thinking that all of the debates he avoided were connected to his inability to remain coherent.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Behold, the wonderfull Hannibal Lector:

Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Make childhood diseases great again:

Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Trump accused Biden of “running a Gestapo administration.” And on Saturday, he said the president is “surrounded by fascists around the Oval Office.”

Sometimes it feels like Trump is targeting me specifically to explode my brain.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

That's better than when they said it was a gazpacho administration.
:lol:
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I'm not sure if fear of fascism is the Orange Turd's most compelling theme.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Jaymann wrote:I'm not sure if fear of fascism is the Orange Turd's most compelling theme.
It's all about throwing the term around so much it's meaningless bothsiderism.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I just don't understand the world anymore. How the hell can this rotting dementia-filled corpse be leading Biden in almost every poll? I feel like I'm trapped in an insane asylum where everything that makes sense is reversed.
Holman

Post by Holman »

YellowKing wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 2:20 pm I just don't understand the world anymore. How the hell can this rotting dementia-filled corpse be leading Biden in almost every poll? I feel like I'm trapped in an insane asylum where everything that makes sense is reversed.
The right has spent two generations building a propaganda-fueled alternate reality, and social media came along at the perfect time to seal its borders.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

And the media has done absolutely nothing but feed off it, instead of put a light on it.

Journalism sold out.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

And way too many of our fellow citizens are evil and/or stupid.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

YellowKing wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 2:20 pm I just don't understand the world anymore. How the hell can this rotting dementia-filled corpse be leading Biden in almost every poll? I feel like I'm trapped in an insane asylum where everything that makes sense is reversed.
Biden is perceived as being old and weak. For too many of our voting citizens, that’s all they really need to know.

Also, change. Apparently, this is a “change election,” which seems to mean that any change - even one to a disgraceful traitor like Trump - will do rather than a vote for the status quo.

Go democracy. :roll:
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Kurth wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 11:19 pm
Biden is perceived as being old and weak. For too many of our voting citizens, that’s all they really need to know.

Also, change. Apparently, this is a “change election,” which seems to mean that any change - even one to a disgraceful traitor like Trump - will do rather than a vote for the status quo.

Go democracy. :roll:
Yup, that narrative is likely to sink Biden. I keep reading that he comes across fine in 1:1 interactions with other leaders and with voters, and his solid legislative achievements place him among our best presidents. But being older and slower than the demented guy is likely to sink him.

We won't know if this was a "change election" until it's over. A lot of Drazzil voters want to burn the whole thing down, and a lot of others want normalcy.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Kurth wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 11:19 pm Also, change. Apparently, this is a “change election,” which seems to mean that any change - even one to a disgraceful traitor like Trump - will do rather than a vote for the status quo.
Is it really? I haven't seen that (which is not to say it's not true). I don't even see the strumpet cultists clamoring for change, much less changing to 2016 - 2020. They used to clamor for TFG "reforms" when Biden took office. Now they're pretending it's a great reset and we're fighting Obama era reforms that ... I guess because Biden took your 2nd amendment rights and tanked the market? Making America Great Again Again really seems like the opposite of change.

OtOH, from where I sit this election could be about all the baked in inflation from the center, Palestine from the left, and cultism (from immigration to Jesus to education to 2A to taxes and government spending) from the right which is still more than enough of a storm to vote for a a disgraceful traitor like Trump. I suppose that's could be labeled as a cry for change, but I think that term, in this case, is as nebulous as quiet desperation.
Dogstar

Post by Dogstar »

Anecdotal to be sure, but inflation manifesting itself in the price of groceries is a big one in south central PA in terms of "are you better off than you were four years ago?". People see that bill every week, and the answer keeps coming back "no" on that one. Yes, you can point to the articles about corporate profit-taking and greed, but the average voter here doesn't seem to get that in depth or to hold said companies responsible. I have no idea why people think it would be better under Trump, but it's something that's regularly used to whack Biden. Biden would almost have to go back to a WW2-level of agency creation, investigation, and penalization in order to corral this, and there isn't a majority or the will in Congress to back such a measure.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Our forefathers were right: The populace is too stupid to vote.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Biden is getting whacked by the expected inflationary pressure post-COVID and additional economic insecurity. Things are doing well, but we’re spenders and higher interest rates hurt consumers. Which is what the Fed intended to slow down the economy, but the blame gets applied to Biden.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Oddly enough, interest rates aren't that high (though inflation is still noticeable). Also as spenders inflation is good. Savers with these still historically low interest rates are the ones hurt, which is seemingly why the stock market keeps going higher. 4% short term CDs? 3% longer term? Or the S&P, valuations damned it goes 10% a year or more more more.

30 year fixed mortgages are still about where they were when I bought my house in 2003. I bought a house specifically because rates were still at historical lows but were threatening increases (as the housing market was pushing itself higher and higher, values be damned) Money just isn't free to large corporations and banks anymore even as they are begging for things to get work so we can go back to infinite QE. Or if TFG takes over, none dare call it QE.

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-sta ... tgage-rate
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

LordMortis wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 6:55 am
Kurth wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 11:19 pm Also, change. Apparently, this is a “change election,” which seems to mean that any change - even one to a disgraceful traitor like Trump - will do rather than a vote for the status quo.
Is it really? I haven't seen that (which is not to say it's not true). I don't even see the strumpet cultists clamoring for change, much less changing to 2016 - 2020. They used to clamor for TFG "reforms" when Biden took office. Now they're pretending it's a great reset and we're fighting Obama era reforms that ... I guess because Biden took your 2nd amendment rights and tanked the market? Making America Great Again Again really seems like the opposite of change.

OtOH, from where I sit this election could be about all the baked in inflation from the center, Palestine from the left, and cultism (from immigration to Jesus to education to 2A to taxes and government spending) from the right which is still more than enough of a storm to vote for a a disgraceful traitor like Trump. I suppose that's could be labeled as a cry for change, but I think that term, in this case, is as nebulous as quiet desperation.
So says the NYT and The Daily from yesterday. In the article about their recent poll, one of the big takeaways was change:
The findings reveal widespread dissatisfaction with the state of the country and serious doubts about Mr. Biden’s ability to deliver major improvements to American life. A majority of voters still desire the return to normalcy promised by Mr. Biden in the last campaign, but voters in battleground states remain particularly anxious, unsettled and itching for change. Nearly 70 percent of voters say that the country’s political and economic systems need major changes — or even to be torn down entirely.
The word “change” appears 32 times in that article, in fact!

On The Daily, they said the remarkable thing was, voters weren’t all that focused on what kind of change they wanted. They just knew they wanted change.

Great. :coffee:
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 11:19 am Our forefathers were right: The populace is too stupid to vote.
In response, just going to make a note that 17% of Voters Blame Biden for the End of Roe.

What is Biden supposed to do with that? How do you have a functioning democracy when 17% of voters think the sky is green and the grass is blue because they saw it on social media?

I’m sorry. We are hosed.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

:doh:
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Kurth wrote: They just knew they wanted change.
Well if they elect Trump, they're certainly going to get it. Ladies, might want to start getting sized for your Handmaiden outfit.
waitingtoconnect

Post by waitingtoconnect »

Zarathud wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 11:31 am Biden is getting whacked by the expected inflationary pressure post-COVID and additional economic insecurity. Things are doing well, but we’re spenders and higher interest rates hurt consumers. Which is what the Fed intended to slow down the economy, but the blame gets applied to Biden.
Did the conservative republicans throw the 2020 election knowing the poo storm that was about to hit?
waitingtoconnect

Post by waitingtoconnect »

Kurth wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 12:00 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 11:19 am Our forefathers were right: The populace is too stupid to vote.
In response, just going to make a note that 17% of Voters Blame Biden for the End of Roe.

What is Biden supposed to do with that? How do you have a functioning democracy when 17% of voters think the sky is green and the grass is blue because they saw it on social media?

I’m sorry. We are hosed.
I swear reading that article made me less intelligent. Clearly these people all failed civics. They all believe the president is king and all powerful whether they vote for trump or not.

It’s horrendous and dangerous. One day you’re in a democracy the next you’re fortifying your basement for the first annual purge.

If you can’t pass the citizenship test immigrants have to do should you be allowed to vote?

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/fil ... s/100q.pdf
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

LordMortis wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 11:53 am 4% short term CDs? 3% longer term?
IDK where you're shopping, but I currently earn 4.25% on simple savings and 5.1% on a 10-month CD at CapitalOne 360. With inflation hovering around 3.25% those are comfortable returns on savings. I also recently moved about 10% of our Fidelity retirement accounts out of securities and into a money market that's currently paying 5.25%.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

waitingtoconnect wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 5:19 pm
Zarathud wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 11:31 am Biden is getting whacked by the expected inflationary pressure post-COVID and additional economic insecurity. Things are doing well, but we’re spenders and higher interest rates hurt consumers. Which is what the Fed intended to slow down the economy, but the blame gets applied to Biden.
Did the conservative republicans throw the 2020 election knowing the poo storm that was about to hit?
No, they did not. No one's that collectively organized and forward thinking, for one.
Black Lives Matter.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Kraken wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 9:36 pm IDK where you're shopping, but I currently earn 4.25% on simple savings and 5.1% on a 10-month CD at CapitalOne 360. With inflation hovering around 3.25% those are comfortable returns on savings. I also recently moved about 10% of our Fidelity retirement accounts out of securities and into a money market that's currently paying 5.25%.
I've been messing around with T-Bills for a bit now and seeing returns of ~5.4% on 8-13 week investments. It requires a bit more work to manage the ladder and re-invest as things mature, but unlike a CD you're not likely tied into a longer commitment where you cannot touch the money if you need access to cash.

I'm trying to stay...flexible as I don't think it's too soon to start thinking about 2024.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 9:02 am
Kraken wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 9:36 pm IDK where you're shopping, but I currently earn 4.25% on simple savings and 5.1% on a 10-month CD at CapitalOne 360. With inflation hovering around 3.25% those are comfortable returns on savings. I also recently moved about 10% of our Fidelity retirement accounts out of securities and into a money market that's currently paying 5.25%.
I've been messing around with T-Bills for a bit now and seeing returns of ~5.4% on 8-13 week investments. It requires a bit more work to manage the ladder and re-invest as things mature, but unlike a CD you're not likely tied into a longer commitment where you cannot touch the money if you need access to cash.

I'm trying to stay...flexible as I don't think it's too soon to start thinking about 2024.
Where are you doing this at? Gubment bills and bonds, short of long term commitments at treasurydirect.gov is a bit of mystery to me. The rates were always poor secondary rates at TD and I hate Schwab and am likely to leave when I overcome inertia, so I haven't done diligence since they migrated my account.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Kraken wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 9:36 pm
LordMortis wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 11:53 am 4% short term CDs? 3% longer term?
IDK where you're shopping, but I currently earn 4.25% on simple savings and 5.1% on a 10-month CD at CapitalOne 360. With inflation hovering around 3.25% those are comfortable returns on savings. I also recently moved about 10% of our Fidelity retirement accounts out of securities and into a money market that's currently paying 5.25%.
Yeah, without even trying I’m getting
5% from a simple cash sweep (SPAXX) in my Fidelity accounts.

PayPal savings was paying around that a while back, not sure what it is now.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 9:32 am 5% from a simple cash sweep (SPAXX) in my Fidelity accounts.
That is contributing to my thoughts on moving to fidelity and likely will be the final push that moves me.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

LordMortis wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 9:23 am Where are you doing this at? Gubment bills and bonds, short of long term commitments at treasurydirect.gov is a bit of mystery to me. The rates were always poor secondary rates at TD and I hate Schwab and am likely to leave when I overcome inertia, so I haven't done diligence since they migrated my account.
All on TD direct. You sign up for the account, link to a bank account and then navigate through to a T-Bill purchase. When you do that you select when you want to make the purchase and how many re-investments you'd like. It was a bit overwhelming at first, but once you see how it works, it's quite simple. As of yesterday a 17 week bill was 5.41% but the 8 and 13 week bills were 5.39. Interest is dumped back into the bank account you link; it's all fire and forget, other than staying on top of when they mature and then re-investing.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Thanks, as I already have an account on treasuredirect and it's linked to my bank account, I will make a note to look.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

LordMortis wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 9:48 am
Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 9:32 am 5% from a simple cash sweep (SPAXX) in my Fidelity accounts.
That is contributing to my thoughts on moving to fidelity and likely will be the final push that moves me.
Schwab’s cash sweep pays the same FWIW.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 10:14 am
LordMortis wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 9:48 am
Schwab’s cash sweep pays the same FWIW.
Mine don't seem to. I'll need to look closer
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Had to look up "cash sweep".

I figured they (banks) did that all the time, they just kept the interest for themselves.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

GreenGoo wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 12:00 pm Had to look up "cash sweep".

I figured they (banks) did that all the time, they just kept the interest for themselves.
My bad:
What Is a Sweep Account?
A sweep account is a bank or brokerage account that automatically transfers amounts that exceed a certain level into a higher interest-earning investment option at the close of each business day. Commonly, the excess cash is swept into a money market fund.
In most brokerage accounts at least, the default is to "sweep" any non-committed cash into that brokerage's money market fund, almost all of which are paying right at 5% right now. And it's all automatic, and treated same as cash...no need to wait to withdraw, or re-invest, etc.
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Thu May 16, 2024 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 12:11 pm My bad:
Not at all. I'm out of touch.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

My Schwab account is not sweeping like TD did (and TD did not give anything approaching 5%). It just gives "bank interest" and it's for pennies a month. I can't find a publication of how much bank interest is for. Internet says "Charles Schwab cash interest rate as of February 2024.
Charles Schwab pays interest on uninvested cash: you can earn up to 0.5% on USD." but I can't easily find anything in my account. The Internet also had said in the past that Fidelity does sweeps instantly and Schwab sit on your money for a long time before allowing you interest on uninvested money.