2024 Fundraising - $0 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

Solium Infernum lives!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Zarathud

Re: Solium Infernum lives!

Post by Zarathud »

Archinerd wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 11:00 pm
AWS260 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 9:29 pm The level of violence in our current game (the one approaching the end) is truly impressive.
The City of Dis has changed hands every turn for the last 4 or 5 turns!
You can just give it back, and everything will be fine.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Zarathud wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 2:05 am
AWS260 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 9:29 pm The level of violence in our current game (the one approaching the end) is truly impressive.
Sorry, you'll have to deal with the devil on that one.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Archinerd wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 6:14 pm
Zarathud wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 2:05 am
Sorry, you'll have to deal with the devil on that one.
I haven't had a turn to hold the City of Dis yet. Let me have it for a spin.
Black Lives Matter.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

El Guapo wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 11:19 pm Meanwhile in the other game I believe I'm on my third straight turn of conquering the Theatre of Sloth.
The Angel and the Leviathan. How nice.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Damn, do rituals just not work any more? So many failed attempts in this game.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Maybe you're performing the ritual wrong. Are you walking around the circle clockwise, or counterclockwise?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Widdershins
It's almost as if people are the problem.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Pretty sure that the next infernal affliction is going to work, for sure.
Black Lives Matter.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

AWS260 wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 11:36 pm Damn, do rituals just not work any more? So many failed attempts in this game.
As you go up in rank, you get more resistant to rituals (and you add that to your power). I think we all decided to get high levels of destruction. But my scrying bowl always says "very likely" and still it doesn't work.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

baelthazar wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 9:15 am
AWS260 wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 11:36 pm Damn, do rituals just not work any more? So many failed attempts in this game.
As you go up in rank, you get more resistant to rituals (and you add that to your power). I think we all decided to get high levels of destruction. But my scrying bowl always says "very likely" and still it doesn't work.
Also Andromalius wisely bought up a bunch of ritual resistance artifacts, so seems like he's borderline immune to rituals. Plus I have rituals in place that add to my resistance against destruction and deceit.
Black Lives Matter.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

El Guapo wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 9:47 am
baelthazar wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 9:15 am
Also Andromalius wisely bought up a bunch of ritual resistance artifacts, so seems like he's borderline immune to rituals. Plus I have rituals in place that add to my resistance against destruction and deceit.
He didn't buy those, he stole them from me!
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Solium Infernum wouldn't start for me this morning - it just sat at the initial loading screen with the animation in the corner. Hopefully I can get it working this evening so that I can figure out how badly I'm losing (in both games).
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Who is ghostlobster?
Black Lives Matter.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

El Guapo wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 11:07 am Who is ghostlobster?
A friend of mine from "The Real World"tm

I've invited him to come to the forum. He's good people. He lives in New Hampshire but all his family is in Boston - so y'all can start using the "wicked" a lot more.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

baelthazar wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 11:44 am
El Guapo wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 11:07 am Who is ghostlobster?
A friend of mine from "The Real World"tm

I've invited him to come to the forum. He's good people. He lives in New Hampshire but all his family is in Boston - so y'all can start using the "wicked" a lot more.
Wicked pissah.

Also, the bribe I paid in the most recent praetor duel (in the older game) is the largest bribe I have ever paid in Solium Infernum. So the duel overseer (whatever he's called) should be buying some expensive property soon.
Black Lives Matter.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Yeah, he texted me and was like - there were no bribe slots available! We were unaware that was possible!

Geez, the conclave is taking it's sweet time!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

baelthazar wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 1:41 pm Yeah, he texted me and was like - there were no bribe slots available! We were unaware that was possible!

Oof, that bites that he didn't know that was an option. Does he know how to do that now?

Also - is your friend Gollum?
Black Lives Matter.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

El Guapo wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 1:53 pm Also - is your friend Gollum?
Ummmm.... no he's more of a Frodo or a Strider. :D
But I am not sure I understand the question?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

El Guapo wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 1:53 pm
baelthazar wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 1:41 pm Yeah, he texted me and was like - there were no bribe slots available! We were unaware that was possible!

Oof, that bites that he didn't know that was an option. Does he know how to do that now?

Also - is your friend Gollum?
Just asking because of this description of his text:
Gollum wrote:there were no bribe slots available! We were unaware that was possible!
My mind immediately read that in Gollum's voice. :)
Black Lives Matter.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

HAHAHA! That "we" in there is me as well. But I do love where your mind went.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Tricksy hobbitses bribing the referees.
Black Lives Matter.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Ah, tricksy hobbitses kingmade me! At least I get to be the official leader of hell, even if I'm not actually making the decisions, I think?

By the way, with Andromalius having picked me as his kingmaker thing, the only way I could have won is if I either took Pandemonium or eliminated him from the game via Blood Feud?
Black Lives Matter.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

He is my friend and I was his blood vassal and he even tricked ME! Man, that game SUCKED for me, I had bad positioning, got hammered by the angel, and just never could recover.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

That makes sense now — all of a sudden Andromalius was targeting me to deny any chance at getting further up on (then catching up to) El Guapo. I think you both were limiting my actions each turn.

Andromalius was basically untouchable by rituals and kept stealing my stuff.
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Well played. I was wondering why Andromalius wasn't attacking Pandemonium at the end.

I really enjoyed that one. Very fighty, lots of stealing stuff at the end.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

jerks.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Zarathud wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 1:33 pm That makes sense now — all of a sudden Andromalius was targeting me to deny any chance at getting further up on (then catching up to) El Guapo. I think you both were limiting my actions each turn.

Andromalius was basically untouchable by rituals and kept stealing my stuff.
Yeah, I really should have picked up on that. When he stole The Beast it was a godsend in the short term, but especially the last 5 - 10 turns he was definitely going easy on me (though even then he almost passed me but for the praetor bribe).

But honestly even if I had known (and I did try to scry him quite a bit) there wasn't much I could have realistically done, given (as you note) his de facto ritual immunity.
Black Lives Matter.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

I am actually surprised he accepted my Blood Vassalage, but I think he wanted to not clue anyone in. I'm not sure what you can do against the Kingmaker crown, since even if you did scry for it I don't think it tells you who they picked. The only way to overcome that kind of win would be Pandaemonium, I think, which is why he basically surrounded it (I kept thinking - we are clearly losing, why is he not attacking it). Or to do a Blood Feud and take out their stronghold.
Zarathud

Solium Infernum lives!

Post by Zarathud »

He feuded with me and did nothing much with the Beast. Other than to keep me locked down and steal all my stuff. It was pretty masterful actually.

The Beast was going to wreck El Guapo. Losing him was like getting kneecapped, then I got locked up.

I was hoping to get in one last Praetor battle with El Guapo. I had nothing to lose and would put everything into a bribe, as I wanted to play an event to kill everyone’s resources.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Zarathud wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 5:51 pm He feuded with me and did nothing much with the Beast. Other than to keep me locked down and steal all my stuff. It was pretty masterful actually.

The Beast was going to wreck El Guapo. Losing him was like getting kneecapped, then I got locked up.

I was hoping to get in one last Praetor battle with El Guapo. I had nothing to lose and would put everything into a bribe, as I wanted to play an event to kill everyone’s resources.
I could've handled The Beast if it wasn't for that damn planar lock. Takes a fair amount of orders to put stratagems in place in the right spots, to say nothing of generating the tribute needed.

But yeah, having the Beast stolen away was huge. I was thinking he wanted it to use himself, but I guess it was to make sure that I took the throne.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

baelthazar wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 4:25 pm I am actually surprised he accepted my Blood Vassalage, but I think he wanted to not clue anyone in. I'm not sure what you can do against the Kingmaker crown, since even if you did scry for it I don't think it tells you who they picked. The only way to overcome that kind of win would be Pandaemonium, I think, which is why he basically surrounded it (I kept thinking - we are clearly losing, why is he not attacking it). Or to do a Blood Feud and take out their stronghold.
Even if he hadn't surrounded it, I'm not sure I could've taken it and held both it and my Stronghold.
Black Lives Matter.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Taking a Blood Vassal also thins the herd. With the 3 contenders being me, El Guapo and Andromalius, all he had to control was me. Andromalius would win unless someone attacked Pandemonium or I could catch up.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

baelthazar wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 4:25 pm I am actually surprised he accepted my Blood Vassalage, but I think he wanted to not clue anyone in. I'm not sure what you can do against the Kingmaker crown, since even if you did scry for it I don't think it tells you who they picked. The only way to overcome that kind of win would be Pandaemonium, I think, which is why he basically surrounded it (I kept thinking - we are clearly losing, why is he not attacking it). Or to do a Blood Feud and take out their stronghold.
Do you know why he picked me? Was it because I won the first game (did he know that?) or was it based on the game position early on?
Black Lives Matter.
ghostlobster

Post by ghostlobster »

Greetings :) And my deepest apologies to El Guapo for the manipulative victory.

Why did I choose you? Easy, I didn't know anyone beside Baelthazar, so on turn ten I picked you because, well, no one had done anything to you, and you were just sitting there quietly econning, so I figured, well, this guy is going to be powerful. Turns out I was right, and I may have helped you along the way (That huge bribe you paid for the duel? I didn't bribe at all, I wanted you to win).

Anyway, it was lots of fun, except for Zarathud (curse you!) for suddenly just dominating everyone, I was most worried about you the whole game.

Good game to all, though. And thanks for having me.

Good luck in the next game :)

Oh, and there is a great resource on the Solium discord about how everything works, under "revelations". Really helpful.

Anyway, nice to meet you and hello from NH :)
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Welcome to the forums Ghostlobster! Try the veal!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

ghostlobster wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 9:15 pm Greetings :) And my deepest apologies to El Guapo for the manipulative victory.

Why did I choose you? Easy, I didn't know anyone beside Baelthazar, so on turn ten I picked you because, well, no one had done anything to you, and you were just sitting there quietly econning, so I figured, well, this guy is going to be powerful. Turns out I was right, and I may have helped you along the way (That huge bribe you paid for the duel? I didn't bribe at all, I wanted you to win).

Anyway, it was lots of fun, except for Zarathud (curse you!) for suddenly just dominating everyone, I was most worried about you the whole game.

Oh, and there is a great resource on the Solium discord about how everything works, under "revelations". Really helpful.

Hello to you too!

Yeah, definitely was worth it cranking through tribute for the first phase of the game. Especially during the "higher tribute quality" event. I'll also say that I really learned how good Wrath 6 is this game - Infernal Juggernaut and high level stratagems were incredibly useful in fending off Zarathud for a long time (until that damn planar lock ruined my day).
Black Lives Matter.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I did enjoy keeping up that planar lock, even though it was costing me buckets of tribute.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

ghostlobster wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 9:15 pm Greetings :) And my deepest apologies to El Guapo for the manipulative victory.

Welcome!
And sorry I pick on you first every game, for some reason the game just puts us next to each other.
I'm not sure I really need to apologize though, since I seem to end up on the losing end of the bargain most of the time.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

It’s Hell. Hell never changes.