2024 Fundraising - $0 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

NY vs. Trump - Hush Money Trial

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Re: NY vs. Trump - Hush Money Trial

Post by Zaxxon »

Zarathud wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 9:36 am How can you say the court is so powerless when Trump is literally on trial? The jury can hold him accountable at the end of the trial.
The court is powerless to hold Trump accountable in the way that any other defendant would be held accountable for their actions during a trial.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

hepcat wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 9:35 am And other countries are promoting that they're not equal and free?
I guess maybe that was just propaganda.
Oof, you're becoming a master of the passive aggressive Anti American tirade. :lol:
No lie. The veneer has definitely fallen off.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm waiting for him to call us "Imperialist Dogs"....but in a nice way! :wink:
He won. Period.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

The judge also told Trump’s lawyer at sidebar: I’m doing this at sidebar because I don’t want to embarrass your client.

That’s almost an exact quote. 🙄
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

From what I read, that was about the audible cussing Trump was tossing out during Stormy's testimony. I would think he'd be proud of that if the judge pointed it out, not embarrassed.
He won. Period.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

hepcat wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 9:35 am And other countries are promoting that they're not equal and free?
Oof, you're becoming a master of the passive aggressive Anti American tirade. :lol:
I think you got it wrong. I seriously thought US is a great country. A strong and just country and leader of the free world. But I guess I was just naive or uninformed and consumed too much Hollywood movies.

I didn't know about the discrimination against black people in the past. Also I was taught that communism is evil at school. So USSR and China are automatically bad because they're communist. And because of that then US as the leader of the anti communist countries is good. Indonesia banned Communist party and teaching since 1966 and since then the teaching of the evil of communism is part of school teaching. It was during my time studying in US that I started to realize that US is not perfect. I was in LA during the Rodney King incident and the protests/riots after that.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 10:13 am
I think you got it wrong. I seriously thought US is a great country. A strong and just country and leader of the free world. But I guess I was just naive or uninformed and consumed too much Hollywood movies.

:lol: We're creeping closer to "Imperialist Dogs".

Back on topic:

NSFW comment during trial that made me chuckle and wince at the same time.
Spoiler:
He won. Period.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

hepcat wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 10:14 am

:lol: We're creeping closer to "Imperialist Dogs".

Back on topic:

NSFW comment during trial that made me chuckle and wince at the same time.
Spoiler:
That's NSFW?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm being cautious! I don't know how old TheMix is! I've caught him chuckling at one of my jokes in the past, so it's possible he's 6.
Last edited by hepcat on Wed May 08, 2024 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
He won. Period.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

hepcat wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 10:27 am I'm bring cautious! I don't know how old TheMix is! I've caught him chuckling at one of my jokes in the past, so it's possible he's 6.
I wish! :(

(Well, maybe not quite that young. Also, as dbt has shown us, the older you get, the more your sense of humor regresses! :lol: )

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Oh, and also, I usually laugh at all of your jokes. I just don't always post a response. :wub:

Black Lives Matter

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

The thing is, VR - a shit ton of US citizens feel let down by the current state of our country. Many of us feel we were naive or uninformed - and now see the US differently. How ON EARTH you don't have that understanding by now is annoying the fuck out of me. We have been talking openly about it for about 7-8 years now. For fuck sake.

You have this ability - by way of your posting endless slights and "Well, I guess maybe _________ " comments - to really come across as an outsider throwing stones. It's a massive turn-off for me, and it would seem a lot of people.
Maybe you are just wounded. You "really really really really thought the US was amazeballs". Well, guess what - it's a real place. And it's still better than a lot of places. Not as many places as before.

At the risk of sounding un-self-aware, I just want to tell you that your method of communicating here, on this forum, it truly sucks.
Last edited by Unagi on Wed May 08, 2024 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

TheMix wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 10:30 am Oh, and also, I usually laugh at all of your jokes. I just don't always post a response. :wub:
Now THAT'S propaganda.
He won. Period.
Victoria Raverna

Unagi wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 10:32 am The thing is, VR - a shit ton of US citizens feel let down by the current state of our country. Many of us feel we were naive or uninformed - and now see the US differently. How ON EARTH you don't have that understanding by now is annoying the fuck out of me. We have been talking openly about it for about 7-8 years now. For fuck sake.
I understand that. LIke you I'm upset about Trump. I'm upset about the current state of US. I know I'm not alone, which is a surprise to me when I apparently offended people by my post. People who I thought upset about the current situation and upset about Trump like me. Is it because I'm an outsider to you all? Like it is okay for black people to call each other with the N word, but not for non black to use it? It is not okay when outsider like me to post them?
You have this ability - by way of your posting endless slights and "Well, I guess maybe _________ " comments - to really come across as an outsider throwing stones. It's a massive turn-off for me, and it would seem a lot of people.
Maybe you are just wounded. You "really really really really thought the US was amazeballs". Well, guess what - it's a real place. And it's still better than a lot of places. Not as many places as before.
I used to think that I wanted to immigrate to US and become a citizen but not anymore. Mostly because my feared of safety for me and my family. Too much school shootings and there are more anti-Asian incidents in recent days. Or at least that was the impression I got from news. Maybe nothing changed but we just heard more of it now because of internet?
At the risk of sounding un-self-aware, I just want to tell you that your method of communicating here, on this forum, it truly sucks.
I apologize about that. It is not my intention to do that. It is just my emotion sometime (or often) got the best of me.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

In the past you've either insuated or outright written that you dislike Indonesia because it's a repressive and bigoted country, and you dislike Islam for similar reasons. Is there any institution you do like/value/shows promise (bearing in mind that all human constructs are bound to be flawed to some degree)?
He won. Period.
Victoria Raverna

hepcat wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 11:16 am In the past you've either insuated or outright written that you dislike Indonesia because it's a repressive and bigoted country in many ways, and you dislike Islam for similar reasons. Is there any institution you do like (bearing in mind that all human constructs are bound to be flawed to some degree)?
I like and admire someone like Sanders. Hopefully I'll not find out later that he has a skeleton in his closet.

I think I also mostly like US's Democratic Party. As for Indonesian's political party, I don't like them or maybe I just don't trust them.

Can't think of any that I like or trust. Not church. And of course not Islam institution, like I said/wrote, I have a bias against Islam or maybe a bit of Islamphobia. I don't like Buddhism. I don't like people worshiping Confucius. I don't know enough about Hinduism to like it or not. I don't like or dislike Jewish. After the current Gaza conflict, I hate Israel but I don't equate Israel with Jews.

I guess at this point, I just don't like any institution.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That does clear some things up, I will say.

America is far from perfect, but I still think the majority of us are trying to be better. That we are given the freedom to try to be better (for the most part) is why I still believe in it. Any country with a degree of freedom similar to ours is going to sometimes suffer at the hands of those of us with baser, less noble aspirations who share in that freedom. But that shouldn't define the institution itself.
He won. Period.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

The U.S. courts are flawed, but the hyperbole about the system not working at all is bullshit. Trump is in multiple courtrooms facing charges with differing difficulties of proof. He’s already lost 2 cases. While I believe personally Trump committed all that he is charged with (and more), a system of laws has a process to determine the guilt and punishment. It’s ugly, it’s slow, it doesn’t always the the answer we want, but it exists.

The right remedy is for voters to stop supporting Trump — he’s done worse than Gary Hart or Howard Dean. But apparently there are a lot of die hard Republicans with closed minds who don’t pay attention to facts. This was true more than 25 years ago, so it shouldn’t be surprising to anyone.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Zarathud wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 11:51 am The U.S. courts are flawed, but the hyperbole about the system not working at all is bullshit.
I think it's a lot less bullshit than you do, obviously. Just this week Cannon seems to have handwaved away Trump's documents trial. He's been known as Teflon Don for years because he's apparently immune to being held to account for the things he does. Are you seriously arguing that the U.S. doesn't have a problem with the rich and powerful being treated differently than the rest of us?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

gbasden wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 1:07 pm
Zarathud wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 11:51 am The U.S. courts are flawed, but the hyperbole about the system not working at all is bullshit.
I think it's a lot less bullshit than you do, obviously. Just this week Cannon seems to have handwaved away Trump's documents trial. He's been known as Teflon Don for years because he's apparently immune to being held to account for the things he does. Are you seriously arguing that the U.S. doesn't have a problem with the rich and powerful being treated differently than the rest of us?
The rich are treated differently, and for a bunch of reasons. Part of it is that the system can be influenced, with money and power being the most effective tool for doing it. But even then it's simply the resources - rich people can hire teams of the most highly-effective attorneys in the nation, while the poor get Lionel Hutz. It's the same issue that exists with getting sick. I don't get the same treatment for a problem with Medicare that Jeff Bezos gets with his billions.

Part of the problem (not the whole problem - and certainly not Cannon, who is a political issue as much as a justice system issue), I think, is that we've got a one-size-fits-all justice system (at least in theory.) Financial penalties that are crippling to us are meaningless to them. $1000 for contempt of court would throw my entire family into a spin. For the rich? It's like dropping a dime out of a hole in your pocket. But if you set the penalties on contempt of court to a level that would hurt Trump, it would absolutely destroy the rest of us. "Hey, kids - daddy made the judge mad, and now we're half a million dollars in debt. We're going to have to cut back on the food budget."

The system, as it is now, just isn't suitable for the income gap this nation has.

But even then, I still think Trump is a much more complicated case than the rest of us - or even other millionaires - would be. Throw Harvey Weinstein in jail and... that's the whole thing. Hell, throw Zuckerberg in jail and that's pretty much the whole thing. But throwing Trump in jail isn't the same as throwing me, or Zuckerberg in jail. Between the media circus and the potential for for violence, throwing Trump in jail for the weekend would be a huge undertaking with significant potential consequences. And that's not even touching on the whole 'presumptive nominee' aspect of it. (And yes, I'm aware that some of my examples were sent to prison rather than jail, but it's just meant as representative of the criminal rich.)

In the end, I'm actually OK with the judge's hesitancy to jail Trump. There are reasons beyond "he's rich and powerful." I'm OK with situational leniency during the trial. It's the end result of the main crimes that matter the most.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Unagi wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 10:32 am

The thing is, VR - a shit ton of US citizens feel let down by the current state of our country. Many of us feel we were naive or uninformed - and now see the US differently. How ON EARTH you don't have that understanding by now is annoying the fuck out of me. We have been talking openly about it for about 7-8 years now. For fuck sake.

Well put...I really think you have some great ideas and input, VR, but it really is the WAY you communicate those ideas that kind of just wears people down, because it does have a very passive-aggressive feel, as mentioned above. IMO there is no need for that here. There are I think enough mature, critical thinkers to take a straightforward, negative opinion (outside, inside, doens't matter...I think) and deal with it fairly...for the most part. We, like the US, are not flying pink unicorns and rainbows and are prone to human instincts and faults. I think you have sometimes been overly criticized in the past, but I have also seen you be overly critical and/or present things in a way that prompts...disdain.

Just say what you want to say straightforwardly, even if it's negative. No need for the mind or verbal or video (!) (youtube) games. :D
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 1:52 pm
In the end, I'm actually OK with the judge's hesitancy to jail Trump. There are reasons beyond "he's rich and powerful." I'm OK with situational leniency during the trial. It's the end result of the main crimes that matter the most.
But if they can't deter him from defying the gag order, which is meant to stop him from influencing the jury, he is directly influencing the end result in his favor. That's why it's important.

He needs a deterrence. Failing that, he needs to be cut off from the ability to post shit in violation of the gag order.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

It does make one yearn for the 'day fine' system implemented in a few European countries, where fines are based on your income, instead of a fixed amount. Yes that would be a hard sell to implement here. But as long as we are dreaming about how to hold the rich accountable, we can add this to the list.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Those with access and wealth have often received privileges—but a jury should level the playing field.

The jury may decide they’ve had enough of his bullshit and be influenced against him. There are a lot of assumptions being made. A jury system is messy, and takes time. But I’m hopeful they are open minded enough to see the truth.
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 4:00 pm
Well put...I really think you have some great ideas and input, VR, but it really is the WAY you communicate those ideas that kind of just wears people down, because it does have a very passive-aggressive feel, as mentioned above. IMO there is no need for that here. There are I think enough mature, critical thinkers to take a straightforward, negative opinion (outside, inside, doens't matter...I think) and deal with it fairly...for the most part. We, like the US, are not flying pink unicorns and rainbows and are prone to human instincts and faults. I think you have sometimes been overly criticized in the past, but I have also seen you be overly critical and/or present things in a way that prompts...disdain.

Just say what you want to say straightforwardly, even if it's negative. No need for the mind or verbal or video (!) (youtube) games. :D
I think it's often forgotten that despite how good VRs English is, it's not his native tongue. I think he needs to be cut some slack - I'm sure if I was trying to communicate in either of my second languages, being passive aggressive wouldn't even enter my mind over simply being understood.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

gbasden wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 8:37 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 4:00 pm

I think it's often forgotten that despite how good VRs English is, it's not his native tongue. I think he needs to be cut some slack - I'm sure if I was trying to communicate in either of my second languages, being passive aggressive wouldn't even enter my mind over simply being understood.
Fair point, but I will still say this: If you present something to a room full of people whose opinion you respect enough to present things to them, and every one of them reacts with unexpected negativity, it's probably time to consider that, maybe, something's off. If it really is a language issue, then VR needs to acknowledge that there's a problem somewhere that's changing the intended message. Instead, he's doubled down on every point.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

It’s method not language. I wish it was a verbal misunderstanding.

Most of the time, there’s just a link to something pushed by social media that’s reposted. It often even doesn’t say what is claimed. That annoys me more than the transparently passive questions trying to set up a gotcha response.