2024 Fundraising - $0 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

[Bethesda] Fallout 76

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Re: [Bethesda] Fallout 76

Post by Daehawk »

Its the wooden table looking one with glass top. The toy aliens i find or am getting from loot go in and work. But the plushies I make at my tooldesk dont show up in my inv when i open the display to put them in. I only see them listed when Im just normally looking in my inv without the display case open.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Figured it out. The display case was too small for plushies. I had to build a larger one. I never remember to scroll right in the build menu items. Also WTF didn't it simply show the item in red and tell my WHY it wont go in the case.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Daehawk wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 4:52 am Also WTF didn't it simply show the item in red and tell my WHY it wont go in the case.
Please remember that the game is likely millions of lines of code written by dozens of different people. Nothing happens on it's own. Every single thing has to be thought of and then coded. Every.Single.Thing. So while it would be nice if the developers could think of everything, they are only human. When you can tell me that you have never made a mistake, or forgotten something, or not thought of something... Just try to temper your frustrations with happiness at what they did provide you. :wink:

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

And, at the end of the day, this is Bethesda. Designing user-friendly interfaces isn't really what they do (UI mods are usually some of the first things to become popular for their games for a reason.)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I suspect the problem is more likely that the people QA'ing are too involved in the development. So they already "know" how things works. Which would mean that they are a lot less likely to pick up on things that can cause confusion. But implying that they are intentionally developing software that is not user-friendly is, frankly, absurd. It is far more likely that they believe that their interface is incredibly intuitive.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

TheMix wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 11:19 am I suspect the problem is more likely that the people QA'ing are too involved in the development. So they already "know" how things works. Which would mean that they are a lot less likely to pick up on things that can cause confusion. But implying that they are intentionally developing software that is not user-friendly is, frankly, absurd. It is far more likely that they believe that their interface is incredibly intuitive.
If you took it that way, then I phrased it badly. They're not intentionally designing anything badly. They do, however, seem to have a design philosophy that stops at 'functional.' Bethesda has never had much polish, which is why mods are so popular with their games.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I disagree. You still imply a conscious decision. I think that belittles the 10's, 100's? of people that work on their products, including the Product Managers, Developers, and QA testers. That they shrug their shoulders and say "good enough"? I'll acknowledge that there do have to be tradeoffs. Their games are incredibly complex. Way more so than most other games. At some point, a decision has to be made to release. But to imply that this is their "philosophy"? I strongly disagree. I know you have an axe to grind with Bethesda. You've made it clear over and over and over again. But you aren't going to convince me. And I'm not going to convince you. But I have a lot of friends that are developers. And your comments are insulting. Take that as you will.

Black Lives Matter

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

No, Bethesda's philosophy has, for years, been one of minimal effort to achieve what they want to achieve. It's not a reflection of other developers, or even of individual Bethesda developers. It's a reflection of Todd Howard, and of the Bethesda approach to game design.

And it isn't some weird fringe thing with me. Most people who love and heavily mod Bethesda games would agree that they make great worlds, but unpolished games. The number of shortcuts they take, whether in their writing (if they have eight races, two sexes, and 16 voice actors, 16 different types of guards will all use the exact same voice lines), their controls (they don't program PC controls - they simply map PC inputs to console controls, some of them hard-coded, which can cause huge problems), the way they handle QA (there are bugs in Fallout 76 that are heavily reported bugs from Fallout 4, but unlike Fallout 4 you can't use mods or tricks to fix them, which completely breaks some aspects of FO76 - like spotlights.)

My comments are absolutely insulting to Bethesda management. If anyone else takes them that way, I apologize - it's only intended to reflect on that one group and their approaches.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

They seem to have covered most everything else. All the stuff you build tells you when theres a problem placing it and why...well except for one annoying habit the game has...if you lack something..just one thing like copper...to build and item it still shows the item in your view but tells you "No base to place it on" or some error instead of telling you it lacks copper..thats a weird one. But usually it will specifically tell you the problem with about anything.

As for the display case Im sure they didn't simply create it then not test it. I can bet they know about my problem but just moved on.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My game has been locking up a lot over the last two days. Half the time it's when I'm trying to log in and enter. The other half it's during intense fights at the alien battle events. I'm forc3d to reboot to get out . Got made cause I can't sleep and it lock3d up 9n me twice in a row even after rebooting s9 I shut off my entire pc.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

One of goals of today's patch was to fix a client crash that cropped up after the last update, so with luck you may see some improvement in stability.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

I got this game for free, is it worth playing without subscription?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I played and finished it without a sub and continue to play and do events. Love it.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 9:58 pm I got this game for free, is it worth playing without subscription?
Possible, but decidedly inconvenient.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Something happened to all my fusion cores overnight. I had stopped collecting them I had so many. Between me my stash and the fusion recharger I had like 45 or so. But today all I have left are the 7 on me and the 2 I was recharging in the recharger. Where'd they all go?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Where were they?
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The only time I've had fusion cores "disappear" on me was when I left them in my power armor until they were fully used up, at which point the core seems to be be discarded.

I have had power armor frames disappear from my inventory, but that appears to be a UI glitch and they reappear when I log out and back in.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Items in the stash are off-limits, but items left elsewhere can be freely taken by others if you didn't lock that particular location (like if you place a water purifier, anyone can take the water unless you lock it.) I assume that chargers work the same way.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

How do you 'lock' stuff? Might be handy for the charger and the junk dog.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 4:58 pm How do you 'lock' stuff? Might be handy for the charger and the junk dog.
I don't remember. It's been close to a year since I played. I'm thinking it was a menu that pops up when you interact in build mode, but I'm not sure. Try going into build mode, look at the item, and see if the screen says anything at the bottom.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Found the lock stuff. Its in build then hit TAB and highlight the object and its the bottom left option.

Dammit. I was finishing Beckett's quest line. Where him and the Claw are talking...figured this is who it was....and my game loses connection to server...NOT NOW..after all that slog throught the robots. Shit. I bet I have to totally replay it lol. damn fucking game hehe..I lose that connection at the worst times.

I wasn't ready to ;eave 76 but I ran out of stuff to do. So now Im doing allie quest. Of course Ive fully done Sofia as she's my babe :) Am about to to finish Beckett. I also have the new guy from the tv series recruit and grandma and grandpa and a wanderer and I think another. I run events too. Getting my Fixer fixed up. I need a Cremator
Last edited by Daehawk on Tue May 14, 2024 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The lock option is available in modify mode whenever you're pointing at an applicable object in your C.A.M.P. or controlled workshop. You can use it to set the difficulty level of the lock (0-3) or to remove the lock altogether.

You can't lock the recharger, but since nobody else can access it (it's treated as a stash container) there is no need to do so.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Logged in and YUP it reset the entire last step of the quest...gotta redo the entire level over. *Head down gun up* I slog back in to that garage.

Edit: maybe Ill go by camp and pick up my +50% damage to robots minigun *evil smirk*
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Max Peck wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 7:33 pm The lock option is available in modify mode whenever you're pointing at an applicable object in your C.A.M.P. or controlled workshop. You can use it to set the difficulty level of the lock (0-3) or to remove the lock altogether.

You can't lock the recharger, but since nobody else can access it (it's treated as a stash container) there is no need to do so.
Thanks for the clarification - it's been a long time, so I wasn't sure about the recharger.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I finished up my Atlantic City business with the Russo family. Got myself a Jersey Devil plushie as a reward. He sits at the foot of my bed now :P
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Fun little informative video to learn from. Ive been junking vampire weapons. Guess I need to go find some now.