[Amazon Video] Fallout - now coming 4/10/24 (new date - early birthday?))

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Re: [Amazon Video] Fallout - now coming 4/10/24 (new date - early birthday?))

Post by Daehawk »

I think she is cute and plucky.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Holman

Post by Holman »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:30 pm I think she is cute and plucky.
And you are correct.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Holman

Post by Holman »

On Moldaver's longevity:
Spoiler:
I floated this a few pages back, but I assume we'll learn that Cooper somehow gave Moldaver his reserved berth in Vault 31.

He is obviously affected by her sincerity in the flashback scenes, and he is appalled at his wife's complicity in Armageddon. I expect that there will be an entering-the-vault scene (as the bombs are falling) where he gives her his Golden Ticket and also entrusts his daughter to her. (Not so sure about the horse, though.)

As for how she awoke early, I dunno.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Holman wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:02 pm
And you are correct.
Who said she wasn’t?
He won. Period.
Holman

Post by Holman »

hepcat wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:43 pm
Holman wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:02 pm
And you are correct.
Who said she wasn’t?
Someone suggested she had Buscemi's sharp elbows.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

And you don’t find Buscemi’s elbows attractive? I think they’re positively radiant.
He won. Period.
Holman

Post by Holman »

hepcat wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:51 pm And you don’t find Buscemi’s elbows attractive? I think they’re positively radiant.
MOVE TO FETISH FORUM PLEASE THANKS
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You’re the one posting about a sleeveless Steve Buscemi, pal.
He won. Period.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Max Peck wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:12 am
Skinypupy wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:48 am Finished this last night and ended up quite enjoying it. I think it really starts to pick up steam after episode 4 and the story gets much more interesting. While Goggins remains superb throughout, both Maximus and Lucy do finally move past their one note stoic and cheery personas (respectively) and show some impressive range by the end. The story was pretty interesting, although it bugged me that they skip right on past one of the show's biggest mysteries without ever saying a word:
Spoiler:
how Moldaver came to be a perfectly preserved 200 year old human

I'm also a little fuzzy about a few things regarding Vault 32 that maybe someone can shed some light on.
Spoiler:
1. So they found out the huge secret that the overseers were all cryogenically preserved managers from Vault 31 and this knowledge made them...go insane and brutally murder each other? That feels like a bit of an extreme leap, no?

2. Norm and the other guy sneak into Vault 32 and find that it's in shambles, chock full of dead and rotting corpses. The following day, Betty announces that half of Vault 33 will be transferring. Somehow everything is mysteriously cleaned up and back in pristine condition overnight. How? Did they thaw out a bunch of Vault 31 managers to do the work then put them back to sleep or something?

3. I'm guessing that eye-patch blond lady is actually a thawed out Vault 31 manager. If so, why was she in Vault 33 and being used as "breeding stock" in the first place?

Speaking of Vaults, kinda felt like they wasted Norm's character. His setup seemed pretty interesting, but it turns out his only purpose was to randomly stumble across major plot points.
I'm interested enough to watch a second season and it got me to re-install Fallout 4. So, mission accomplished I suppose. :)
Spoiler:
My best guess is that Moldaver spent most of the last couple of centuries in cryogenic suspension. If she had somehow been running around for that amount of time (say, as a successful recipient of the process that produces ghouls, but without the decay) I'd expect she'd have had the time and resources to simply recreate her cold fusion project instead of needing to steal Vault-Tec's version.

As for 1) I dunno, maybe we'll learn more in season 2 as the Vault 31/32/33 story progresses.

2) I dunno, robots maybe? Bud's Brain probably isn't the only bot in Vault 31.

3) If she came from Vault 31 as a breeding trade and was still pregnant, she might have been thawed out after Vault 32 failed with the intent that she'd be sent to Vault 32 as the new overseer. This raises the issue of why Vault 31 didn't keep Hank in the loop about events in Vault 32 or warn him about the raider incursion.
Spoiler:
I agree Moldaver was in cryo, it's implied in the credits scene with ads for cryo freeze suites. She's been awake for about 20 years or so, since she was there when Shady Sands was nuked. Since then, she has been doing some sleuthing and discovered that vault 31 holds the leaders of vault-tec, and has been plotting a way to break in and get revenge/re-acquire her cold fusion tech.

1) My theory is that Vault 32 found out about the managers of 31 and rebelled. Roomba brain then pumped their air with psychotic drugs and they went insane, killing themselves and removing the threat before they could get to him. 33 wasn't told because then they might then feel threatened and rebel too. In the 2 years since, Moldaver finally gained access to 32 without roomba brain realizing, since roomba brain thought they were all dead and wasn't monitoring 32 anymore. Moldaver had hoped to snag a vault tech employee from 32, but since they are all dead, she then devises a plan to access 33 with the breeder swap program we see at the start of episode 1. None of this explains how Maud'Dib knows of Moldaver's reputation without recognizing her though.

2) I think they thawed some people form 31 and put them back to sleep.

3) Not sure about blonde eye-patch lady.

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

hepcat wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:00 am I'm still not convinced that the actress playing Lucy isn't Steve Buscemi's daughter.
And I keep seeing Denzel when Maximus is on screen. It took me forever to figure out who he resembled, but that perma-scowl is so Denzel.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

And her dad looks just like an older Paul Atreides
Holman

Post by Holman »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:52 pm And her dad looks just like an older Paul Atreides
Given Fallout's love of genre references, I think we're overdue for Hank to give us an "I *WILL* kill him!"

(Yes, I know it was Feyd. DatsDaJoke.)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

naednek

Post by naednek »

hepcat wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:36 pm
naednek wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:15 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:53 am Just to minimize all confusion
Spoiler:
Are you sure you want to ruin the moment?
Spoiler:
I can't tell who that is. :(
My god, this needs to be addressed posthaste! Forthwith! Ppppronto!
Even with Smoove's 2nd hit, I still had no idea. I at least was able to look him up, and I don't think I've seen him in anything I've watched.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

He literally just randomly appeared in an episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm I was watching today and I almost lost it. I feel like you're intentionally avoiding him at this point. :D
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Fallout tv show cast being chaotic goofs for 12 mins
Spoiler:
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've had the final episode on hold for over a week. I finally had the chance to finish it tonight.

I absolutely love that...
Spoiler:
The long-speculated fan theory that Vault-Tec dropped the bomb (which I mentioned earlier in the thread) is now canon.
I also speculate that...
Spoiler:
The meeting we witnessed between Vault-Tec and the other executives was the foundation of the Enclave. There were some figures in shadow. If they were government representatives, then every ingredient would be in place (although it's really, really late - more likely it's when the Enclave went from a shadow government to a worldwide conspiracy.)
Also, a few Easter eggs that weren't necessarily obvious:
Spoiler:
During the Vault-Tec meeting there were a couple of executives that appeared in the games.

was...
Spoiler:
Mr. House
And the exec from Big MT

was...
Spoiler:
Mr Sinclair

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:48 am
Spoiler:
1. So they found out the huge secret that the overseers were all cryogenically preserved managers from Vault 31 and this knowledge made them...go insane and brutally murder each other? That feels like a bit of an extreme leap, no?

2. Norm and the other guy sneak into Vault 32 and find that it's in shambles, chock full of dead and rotting corpses. The following day, Betty announces that half of Vault 33 will be transferring. Somehow everything is mysteriously cleaned up and back in pristine condition overnight. How? Did they thaw out a bunch of Vault 31 managers to do the work then put them back to sleep or something?

3. I'm guessing that eye-patch blond lady is actually a thawed out Vault 31 manager. If so, why was she in Vault 33 and being used as "breeding stock" in the first place?
Spoiler:
1. Likely planned as a failsafe. At least one vault's 'experiment' was to expose all of the inhabitants to ceaseless noise that drove them made and led them to kill each other, or I could imagine a gas that did it.

2. Good point. Bots?

3. I'd guess that, just like Hank, they thawed them out one by one to manage the vaults according to 'the plan' to make sure that they didn't go in some other direction, which was why every overseer was from Vault 31 (they were all Vault-Tec managers that were part of it.)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The one thing that doesn't make a lot of sense from a canon perspective:
Spoiler:
Shady Sands

Shady Sands 36 years BC (Before Crater)

Shady Sands 116 years BC

How did Shady Sands get built up into the kind of 21st century urban center they showed (not even counting the LA backdrop of a city in the middle of the Mojave?) And the parts that were left over looked just like all of the other pre-war ruins, not more recent construction.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 12:45 am
Spoiler:
How did Shady Sands get built up into the kind of 21st century urban center they showed (not even counting the LA backdrop of a city in the middle of the Mojave?) And the parts that were left over looked just like all of the other pre-war ruins, not more recent construction.
Regarding your question about something that doesn't make sense
Spoiler:
Best guess I've seen? They had access to a type of G.E.C.K. somehow. Maybe Moldaver had a prototype or something with her where she was (presumably) being stored.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 12:45 am The one thing that doesn't make a lot of sense from a canon perspective:
Spoiler:
Shady Sands

Shady Sands 116 years BC

Graphics and resources limitations of the time the OG games were made.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 8:55 am
Blackhawk wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 12:45 am
Spoiler:
Regarding your question about something that doesn't make sense
Spoiler:
Best guess I've seen? They had access to a type of G.E.C.K. somehow. Maybe Moldaver had a prototype or something with her where she was (presumably) being stored.
Spoiler:
That's a possibility. Although that particular item was designed to create adobe-style homes, as seen in the last two screenshots. When it comes down to it, I think, this was just a time they hand-waved the canon in order to create an effect (big crater in the middle of LA vs a big crater in the middle of the Mojave.)
Holman

Post by Holman »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 12:45 am The one thing that doesn't make a lot of sense from a canon perspective:
Spoiler:
Shady Sands

Shady Sands 116 years BC

Lore... Lore never changes.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Spoiler:
Shady Sands

Shady Sands 116 years BC

I think it's more...
Spoiler:
unbelievable that several generations after the bombs fell humanity is still living in scrap metal huts eating radioactive geckos. As an example; The Tower Bridge in London was built in 1886. 200 years before, almost the entire city burned down. Sure, the real world example is only one city, that had the resources of a nation behind it.. but it's not unreasonable that Shady Sands could have built a couple of brick buildings. Of course, Fallout doesn't make a lot of sense in general so I have learned to stop worrying about it, and learn to love the fiction.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Also, how many 1990s CRPGs gave you a "city" that felt as expansive as a real city? The norm was to give you eight accessible buildings and a dozen NPCs to talk to and that was it.
Last edited by Holman on Wed May 01, 2024 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I did mention that I understood why they changed the canon - but they did change the canon.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 7:03 pm I did mention that I understood why they changed the canon - but they did change the canon.
But we're having fun making sure you really understand! :P
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Archinerd wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 6:49 pm I have learned to stop worrying about it, and learn to love the fiction.
I see what you did there.. very on point as well.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I actually thought that they did better with keeping to the source canon than any production except, maybe, the first couple of Harry Potter films (which stuck to it a bit too much.) Fallout (show) is a great example of how you can use an existing setting and choose the elements that are well-suited to film without throwing out most of the existing lore. Some canon doesn't really work well in film (like what I had in spoiler tags up there) and may need to be adjusted, and that's fine. Likewise, if you're making film from a specific existing story you'll need to change how it's told (different medium.) But you don't need to rewrite an entire setting just to change the location or architecture of one town.

It's the difference between Fallout (amazing job), and Wheel of Time (which bears almost no resemblance to the source.)

Hopefully other studios will learn from that.

Probably not.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 7:03 pm I did mention that I understood why they changed the canon - but they did change the canon.
According to at least one article I read today, there actually isn't a canon location for Shady Sands. Apparently Fallout and Fallout 2 put it in different locations. Moving it again for the series is really just honoring the roots of the franchise. :lol:
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Max Peck wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 1:06 am
According to at least one article I read today, there actually isn't a canon location for Shady Sands. Apparently Fallout and Fallout 2 put it in different locations. Moving it again for the series is really just honoring the roots of the franchise. :lol:
More the change to the nature of the settlement - but yeah, I read that, too, although none of the locations were in the middle of LA. Again, not a criticism - there are times to change things, and film has different needs from games. It wouldn't have had the right impact had it been located in the middle of the Mojave.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Holy crap, this never occurred to me that someone would think to do it, but apparently they were 3D printing game assets to use on the set.
"I thought there would be more movie magic, they're going to fake a lot of stuff a lot of it's going to be CG shots," Howard told Kinda Funny Games (H/T PC Gamer), explaining his shock that it was actually the opposite when he went on set.

"You step in and they've built this two-story Vault, and the lights are, they're not fake lights, the buttons work. It's incredible attention to detail, a lot of credit goes to Howard Cummings the production designer on it who just really was meticulous about translating every little thing. We were sharing the files right from the games and they were 3D printing things. Howard would apologize when they had to change the scale of a hallway."
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I was wondering if they were doing that.

At the same time, it changes the narrative that the look and feel were because Todd Howard was there guiding the production the entire time.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 11:46 am Holy crap, this never occurred to me that someone would think to do it, but apparently they were 3D printing game assets to use on the set.
This part I actually see quite a bit. There are a ton of downloadable 3D print files related to games where someone has simply extracted the in-game assets, tweaked them in a modeling program*, and put them up for printing.

*Game assets are generally not printable. They're a wireframe with a pixel-thick skin, not actual objects with solid sides. They also tend to have gaping holes where they aren't going to be visible.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I love this growing trend of practical effects in movies and shows. Although I may be wrong in calling it "growing" as it may have been there all along, but just not something I really noticed. But it does seem that more and more films and shows are going that route.

CGI has a place, and it may someday equal practical effects in its verisimilitude, but right now nothing beats a good old fashioned practical effect.
He won. Period.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 10:48 pm I actually thought that they did better with keeping to the source canon than any production except, maybe, the first couple of Harry Potter films (which stuck to it a bit too much.) Fallout (show) is a great example of how you can use an existing setting and choose the elements that are well-suited to film without throwing out most of the existing lore. Some canon doesn't really work well in film (like what I had in spoiler tags up there) and may need to be adjusted, and that's fine. Likewise, if you're making film from a specific existing story you'll need to change how it's told (different medium.) But you don't need to rewrite an entire setting just to change the location or architecture of one town.

It's the difference between Fallout (amazing job), and Wheel of Time (which bears almost no resemblance to the source.)

Hopefully other studios will learn from that.

Probably not.
A friend of mine who never heard of the Fallout games can't understand why the show has got such good reviews. It might suffer from the same issues as Lynch's Dune -- inside knowledge required for fundamental understanding. Personally, I think Fallout did a better job than Lynch did with the subject matter. Games such as Fallout aren't entirely story-driven, there's still character development that doesn't translate well into other media. I thought they did a credible job creating a storyline consistent with the general gameplay.
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Could be. Although I have read Dune and played Fallout, and the latter is somewhat, um... easier to explain.

I knew enough to recognize that I couldn't separate my personal appreciation of the setting from the other factors - story, production, etc. I was going to like it more than the average regardless. I am relying on others for that.