Capes

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Max Peck

Capes

Post by Max Peck »

Capes Is A New Tactical RPG Superhero Game Set In A World Ruled By Supervillains
Spitfire Interactive has unveiled its debut game Capes, a superhero tactical RPG set in a bleak world ruled by supervillains. With superheroes essentially wiped out, the world has been forced to endure the iron-fisted tyranny of the supervillain ruling class for the last two decades, but now a new generation of heroes is stepping up to save the day.
As an added twist, you'll be able to grow your heroes and unlock new abilities that can be combined to form powerful new attacks. There'll also be secret histories of villains and heroes to uncover, multiple locations to visit, and a wide range of diversity present in the heroes that can be recruited. If the idea of the game sounds familiar, that's because Freedom Force writer Morgan Jaffit is involved in the game and is Spitfire Interactive's director.

"I started my career writing on Freedom Force alongside [BioShock writer-director] Ken Levine, so this feels like a return to where my journey began," Jaft said in a press release. "My team and I want to explore the 'darker side of every coin' and we have the best people possible to do it."

Capes will launch on PC via Steam in early 2023.

"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
TheMix

Re: Capes

Post by TheMix »

I am intrigued.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Interesting.

I'd have really loved for them to have used the story from Savage Worlds' Necessary Evil setting (which was the first thing that popped into my mind when I started reading the description.) The supervillains won, and the last hero was dead. That's when the alien invasion (and subsequent occupation) began, and it was up to the villains to save the world. It makes a great twist on the genre.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

No capes!
-Edna Mode

(Sorry just a stream of consciousness thing)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

If it's even remotely like Freedom Force, I'm in. That still ranks as one of my top 10 video games of all time.
He won. Period.
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Very interested. Also loved Freedom Force. Really hoping for a solid storyline, in addition to what looks like character/squad customization. Kind of hope that there base-building and managemetn won't play a very large part of the game but it's likely inevitable that it will. I liked way base building was done in PoE much more than in Pathfinder, for personal-it's-just-me example.
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Unagi wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:52 pm No capes!
-Edna Mode

(Sorry just a stream of consciousness thing)
Right there with you. Every time I see a hero or villain with a cape... :D

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

In the trailer, none of the heroes wear capes.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but between the turn-based game play, upgrading your toons with experience and abilities, and tactical gameplay, I'm getting a major XCOM vibe.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Looks great except its turn based. Have to pass ...again.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

I still prefer turn-based so that's a plus for me. Also - I generally enjoyed the Hand of Fate games, so I'll likely give the devs another shot.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Turn based is a major positive for me.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I used to love turn based. Was no real time then. But over the years I got to where I cant play a turn based and have fun. Hell one of my ALL TIME favorite games is Fallout and I couldn't replay it last time I tried about a year ago...and Ive replayed and finished it many many times over the years.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

The Meal wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:16 am Turn based is a major positive for me.
Same!
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Turn based is a lot more about thinking and planning an optimizing than just doing. If that's your jam, well fortunately there are *lots* more action games than TB games for you. Enjoy your options and I'll enjoy mine.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It's a big plus for me. But to be fair, the best real-time games are about planning and adapting rather than just doing.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

The demo is on Steam if you want to check it out
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Demo! Thanx!

Edit the opening cutscene in the demo is odd to my sensibilities. They use comic word bubbles on 3D graphics moving. It's like watching a bunch of Electric Company Spidermen interacting.

Not sure I like the grid based movement and that abilities only work orthogonality.

Still a demo was nice.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:48 am Demo! Thanx!

Edit the opening cutscene in the demo is odd to my sensibilities. They use comic word bubbles on 3D graphics moving. It's like watching a bunch of Electric Company Spidermen interacting.

Not sure I like the grid based movement and that abilities only work orthogonality.

Still a demo was nice.
Agreed on the ability restrictions. I mean, shouldn't a disarming whirlwind knock the weapon out of any of the surrounding 8 squares? I mean, there are other skills that work that way... Also, I wish there was the ability to make your own heroes instead of the preset team.

Still, reminded me of a great mix of City of Heroes and XCom.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch