3D Printing

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Blackhawk

Re: 3D Printing

Post by Blackhawk »

Memory card came in. I'll fiddle with that tomorrow.

Today I've been trying to print a few things, and... wow, must just be an off day. The prints that didn't fail early either had gaps, or, oddly, many printed perfectly up until the last 5%. Then it was like the extruder got bored, said "screw it", and just dumped the rest of the filament in a poop emoji right on top. This was happening with most of my attempts today. I saw some things that suggested that it meant that the temp was too high. I keep cranking the filament temperature down in Cura, but I'm at 185 now - the filament only goes to 180.

The latter one is this, by the way.

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Is this a completely new file or something that already printed ok?
If its a new file it could just be the file.
I also wonder...if it's humid could that be causing moisture in the filament?
I've never used one, even for filament left out for months, but some filament in some areas needs a dry box.
For temps, you can try seeing if the lower end of the spectrum gor your filament melts properly by flowing through the nozzle. Then start from the lowest temp that does and work up from there.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Punisher wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:57 pm Is this a completely new file or something that already printed ok?
If its a new file it could just be the file.
I also wonder...if it's humid could that be causing moisture in the filament?
I've never used one, even for filament left out for months, but some filament in some areas needs a dry box.
For temps, you can try seeing if the lower end of the spectrum gor your filament melts properly by flowing through the nozzle. Then start from the lowest temp that does and work up from there.
It's on multiple files, including some that I know print correctly.

I'm just about at the lowest temp (185 in a 180-210 filament.) This is a humid area, but the humidity hasn't hit yet this year (we're currently at 51% outside, 36% inside.)

I've seen some suggestions on similar problems that suggest that the issue might be the print head itself. As the nozzle ners the end and there's less material, it's staying next to the filament and heating it, preventing it from solidifying before the next layer. I've seen suggestions to have a 'tower' next to the print that serves only to cause the print head to move between layers. It makes sense, but I have no idea how to go about that, short of spending a couple of months learning Blender.

I may try copying the item and making two at a time, although that obviously won't be viable for every print.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm starting to understand the rants I've seen.

A couple of weeks of perfect prints, then for the past few days I can't get anything to adhere, no matter how many times I level, wash, alcohol, glue stick, or hair spray my build plate.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:01 pm I'm starting to understand the rants I've seen.

A couple of weeks of perfect prints, then for the past few days I can't get anything to adhere, no matter how many times I level, wash, alcohol, glue stick, or hair spray my build plate.
Yeah it's crazy how nothing really changes but all of the sudden it just doesn't work anymore.
Were you able to figure out how to attach that separate build plate?
Hove you tried lightly sanding it?
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Oh.
Also try using a brim or raft in your prints.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Punisher wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:26 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:01 pm I'm starting to understand the rants I've seen.

Yeah it's crazy how nothing really changes but all of the sudden it just doesn't work anymore.
Were you able to figure out how to attach that separate build plate?
Hove you tried lightly sanding it?
I used it for a while, but I was having a lot of problems with it. It had about an eighth of an inch of buildup to begin with, and was nearly impossible to get clean, plus it covered up all of the leveling screws when attached, requiring that I move it, adjust a screw, move it back, check it, move it, etc. I also couldn't get anything to adhere to it reliably. I picked up a glass plate, and it's been working perfectly - until this week.

I have been using a brim all along. The brim won't even adhere, and by the time it's moved on to the regular print, the brim is a just a mess of strings being dragged around by the nozzle.

Three hours of temperature adjustments, bed cleaning, bed re-leveling, and tweaks with ~15 prints that failed in the first minute, and I need a break.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Ok.
The build up should only be dried glue stick so you might be able to sand it off.
Since it's been a while i cant say for sure but dont remember having those issues with the plate. Is there a nane on it i can look up to try jogging my memory?

Also, taking a break is good because this hobby can get very frustrating at times.
Have there been temperature changes between now and then?
If it's colder that might explain it.
Oh..also don't even try ABS or anything exotic on that stick to PLA only. Don't think it's rated for anything else.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Also, is it a new roll of filament? I've had brand new rolls of filament that came out of the box crap. eSUn, I'm looking at you.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hentzau wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:27 pm Also, is it a new roll of filament? I've had brand new rolls of filament that came out of the box crap. eSUn, I'm looking at you.
It's Hatchbox, and the first third of the spool was all (mostly) good prints.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:40 pm
hentzau wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:27 pm Also, is it a new roll of filament? I've had brand new rolls of filament that came out of the box crap. eSUn, I'm looking at you.
It's Hatchbox, and the first third of the spool was all (mostly) good prints.
Is ot humid where you are? If so i wonder if it's absorbing moisture...
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It's cooler, but not humid yet.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Blackhawk wrote:It's cooler, but not humid yet.
Hate to say but it just sounds like one of those things. When I would hit those problems I would usually compress the springs to their max and then start all over.

Also, I don’t know what your printing surface is. If it’s PEI, I’ve had luck with an acetone cleaning.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Glass
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:46 pmGlass
And here is where my practical advice ends. I've always used either flexible build plates or spring steel coated PEI.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Any suggestions on a PEI plate?
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:31 pm Any suggestions on a PEI plate?
This might fit the bill.

You have a couple of options with it...stick the magnetic sheet onto the build plate, or just use clips to hold the PEI sheet onto the build plate. Note that I have not actually purchased this product, just that it's pretty cheap and it is the right size for your build plate (120x120mm,right?)

Edit: Double checked that an it's a textured PEI sheet. I prefer smooth. Let me see if I can find similar but in smooth.

Edit 2: Maybe? It looks like smooth pei is no longer a thing? PEO/PEI sheet
Last edited by hentzau on Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

160x130, although the printable area is 120x120.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:52 pm 160x130, although the printable area is 120x120.
Oh. Weird. I just looked at a picture of it...the build plate sits on a platform. Hadn't see that before. Anyway, if you want to throw about $20 at it, try one of those two options I put up there. Once I went with PEI, I never looked back at the other build plates I had tried.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hentzau wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:01 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:52 pm 160x130, although the printable area is 120x120.
Oh. Weird. I just looked at a picture of it...the build plate sits on a platform. Hadn't see that before. Anyway, if you want to throw about $20 at it, try one of those two options I put up there. Once I went with PEI, I never looked back at the other build plates I had tried.
Thanks. Any reason not to get this one? It's the only one I'm seeing that's the right size. The printer uses the edge of the plate, so I couldn't really use a 120x120.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:31 pm Any suggestions on a PEI plate?
I'm mot 100% sure but if you can get it working I "think" the other plate is PEI.
I know I definitely used it regularly before putting it away.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Blackhawk wrote:
hentzau wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:01 pm
Thanks. Any reason not to get this one? It's the only one I'm seeing that's the right size. The printer uses the edge of the plate, so I couldn't really use a 120x120.
Sorry, I wasn’t understanding. The actual print plate is 160x130? Again, weird. But if that is the actual bed size, I would try the plate you posted.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Yep, s physical 160x130 print bed with a functional 120x120 (x120) print area.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Lots of little tweaks and I've now solved both my adhesion problems (upped the temps a bit, slowed down the first layer) and the holes I have been getting in outer walls/tops (upped the extrusion to 105%.)

Next up: Figuring out how to get rid of the horrendous warping I get on anything more than a few centimeters across.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Can post pics of the warping?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Enlarge Image

I'm trying a raft (vs a brim) right now, based off of advice from here.

I will say that I'm finding that's one of the big challenges of 3d printing. The manual for the printer contained nothing but instructions for how to set up a seven-year-old version of Cura. Beyond that, you're just thrown into the deep end to figure it out for yourself.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:33 amBeyond that, you're just thrown into the deep end to figure it out for yourself.
Yeah. While it's getting better and getting more expensive printers helps, this is still a big part of the hobby.

Safe to assume your using PLA?
A brim shpuld work, but i recently had to ramp up to a raft but I'm printing in ABS which is much more difficult to work with and not something you cpuld use on that one.

Are you using glue sticks?
Have you tried light sanding, cleaning, then glue stick?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Right now I have the one on the left printing again. Four hours into a seven hour print, and no warping yet (the one up there was about an hour in.) The changes:

1. I installed the PEI plate. It's considerably thinner than the other two options I had, and conducts the heat from the plate better.
2. I used a raft rather than the brim.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've solved most of my problems. The PEI plate helped, as did switching from brim to raft for larger pieces. I'm getting good quality prints now, and I'm happy with my results. I really am running into issues with the small size, though, so I'll probably be trying to save up for a better printer at some point in the future, something that can print full-sized pieces, and something that is capable of good detail.

I know that FDM isn't good for miniatures, but what about terrain pieces that have open areas with internal detail? Are there FDM printers that can print things like that without using so many supports that it ends up an unusable mess? For example:

Is it even possible to print things like this without a resin printer?
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Yeah, i think that is too much to bridge even with a really well tuned printer.

If you send me the file, I could throw it into Prusa and see what it says. The latest version will warn about unsupported areas, and give you the option of putting in supports. I could give it a bash and see how it prints out.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

For terrain it REALLY depends on the file.
If you do save up for a new one, I'd suggest looking into one that supports printing with more then one spool. This way you can print supports with special support PLA. These have a few different varieties. Some just allow much easier breakage and some go as far as melting in water. I have some melty one but won't be trying it until i switch to my dual head and also move it to its permanent resting place. I'm really looking for ward to ot.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Anybody have any suggestions for FDM printers that can manage large pieces (I don't need to print a new house, but I would like to be able to print some larger items), that provides good enough detail for more elaborate pieces (buttons on miniature-scale computers, etc.), and is (above all else) reliable? I'm mostly printing terrain and household/utility items, although I've got a few files for props that look really, really cool, so something capable of making a neat, relatively smooth, and detailed prints is desirable, as is the ability to print with other materials (clear filament, stronger filament.)

That multi-spool printing and dissolving supports feature sounds handy, too. ;)

This wouldn't be a today buy, but would give me something to save toward. Money for me is always an issue, but I have also learned that it's better to spend a little more upfront than to spend less and end up spending a ton on repairs/parts/upgrades/replacements. In the end, getting something a little better usually ends up being cheaper.

Resin printers - I would dearly love one (I already have a bunch of minis I'd love to print), but I still haven't worked out a way to manage the placement, storage, and ventilation short of getting rid of a piece of furniture and actually building a cabinet from scratch.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Take a good look at the Bambu A1. They had to do a recall on them because of a problem with the electrical cord, but when they release them for sale again I’m going to buy one. From all reports it sounds like the perfect FDM bedslinger. And you can buy a multi filament upgrade for it.

https://us.store.bambulab.com/collectio ... roducts/a1
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

hentzau wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:39 pm Take a good look at the Bambu A1. They had to do a recall on them because of a problem with the electrical cord, but when they release them for sale again I’m going to buy one. From all reports it sounds like the perfect FDM bedslinger. And you can buy a multi filament upgrade for it.

https://us.store.bambulab.com/collectio ... roducts/a1
Yeah, I thought I mentioned this in my last post but looks like I forgot.
Once my printing room is done I'm gonna see if this fits. If so, it's most likely my next one once I save up.
However see what kind of bed size you realistically need forst as there are definitely larger ones. Cant remember where but I've seen one that could print a small life-sized child.
Might even be useful if you need a child tax break!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Look! Me again!

Two quick (hopefully) questions (Seriously, I do try to research these things myself before I ask, but a lot of 3d printing search results are skewed):

1. Any tips on removing filament when switching rolls? I've been heating up the nozzle and simply pulling it out, but that's surprisingly difficult, requires pliers, and I'm afraid I'm going to break something.

2. Other than cleaning the print bed, occasionally oiling the rails, and occasionally using some cleaning filament, is there any regular maintenance I should be doing on my printer (again, it's a Monoprice Select Mini V2.)
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Blackhawk wrote:Look! Me again!

Two quick (hopefully) questions (Seriously, I do try to research these things myself before I ask, but a lot of 3d printing search results are skewed):

1. Any tips on removing filament when switching rolls? I've been heating up the nozzle and simply pulling it out, but that's surprisingly difficult, requires pliers, and I'm afraid I'm going to break something.

2. Other than cleaning the print bed and occasionally using some cleaning filament, is there any regular maintenance I should be doing on my printer (again, it's a Monoprice Select Mini V2.)
Just a quick check…you’re releasing tension on your extruder, right? Just saw a quick video clip where they heated the hot end, manually pushed some filament forward (while releasing tension on the extruder) and then pulled out quickly.

It seemed odd to me that you didn’t have a remove filament function but then again I seem to recall that my first Ender didn’t have that option either.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hentzau wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:56 pm

2. Other than cleaning the print bed and occasionally using some cleaning filament, is there any regular maintenance I should be doing on my printer (again, it's a Monoprice Select Mini V2.)
Just a quick check…you’re releasing tension on your extruder, right? Just saw a quick video clip where they heated the hot end, manually pushed some filament forward (while releasing tension on the extruder) and then pulled out quickly.

It seemed odd to me that you didn’t have a remove filament function but then again I seem to recall that my first Ender didn’t have that option either.
Releasing tension on the extruder? Do you mean (knowing you don't know this printer) the clip/feeder up at the top? There is next to zero documentation on this thing. The manual is just a guide to setting up Cura version Very.Old. If there is a way to release tension down at the print head, I haven't found it.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Oh, and this was inspired by learning that I'm going to have to start removing my filament any time I'm not using it. Spring is here, and summer is around the corner. In Indiana, that means humidity. We're already at 71% today, and it'll be higher later after it rains. I wouldn't be surprised to see the humidity in the mid-80s. It's too early for that to be the norm, and in a month or two when the temps are going past 80 we'll have the AC on, which will dry things out indoors.

Luckily, the order I just placed arrived today, just in time:

Airtight boxes that fit one standard spool perfectly

Organza bags

and

1 quart of loose silica gel beads.

That's enough to keep all of my filament dry, with a couple of extra empties, and tons of extra bags/beads. And if I need more (I eventually will), I'll just need more boxes - which comes out to around $4 per spool if I need to expand.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:01 am
hentzau wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:56 pm

Releasing tension on the extruder? Do you mean (knowing you don't know this printer) the clip/feeder up at the top? There is next to zero documentation on this thing. The manual is just a guide to setting up Cura version Very.Old. If there is a way to release tension down at the print head, I haven't found it.
Yeah. I just took a look at where your extruder is and it's up on the very top of the main body. Right by the hole where you feed in new filament there is a clip with a spring that keeps the filament pressed up against the extruder wheels. If you compress that clip, that should allow your filament to pull out freely, once your hot end is heated up and you push some filament through first. If you still have a struggle, even after the hot end if heated up and the filament has reached it's glass flowing state, then you may have a blockage around the heat brake. Sometimes liquid filament will creep up the heatbreak and cause some binding. This can cause problems with proper extrusion in the future (most often underextrusion and issues with retraction when the print head is moving (stringing results.))
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Ah. The manual identifies the lower part (around the nozzle) as the extruder, and the part with the clip as the feed mechanism. Yeah, I've been releasing the clip with it heated. What I did not do was push it in further first. I'll try that next time.

I hope it's not a clog in/around the heatbreak, as I have no idea what that is (and again, my manual doesn't have a good diagram - it really should.) This is all I have to work with: