COVID-19 treatment and vaccine update thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

stessier

Re: COVID-19 treatment and vaccine update thread

Post by stessier »

Still not sure why they are limiting it to 65+, but at least they are allowing for a booster.
People ages 65 and up should get another dose of a COVID-19 vaccine this spring, given the age group's higher risk of severe disease and death from the pandemic virus, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention announced Wednesday.

Earlier today, an advisory committee for the CDC voted overwhelmingly in favor of recommending the spring booster dose. And late this afternoon, CDC Director Mandy Cohen signed off on the recommendation, allowing boosting to begin.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Some days I feel like I'm over 65. Does that count?
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

CDC makes it official: no more 5-day minimum isolation period. Come for the updated guidance at the start of the article, stay for Smoove's alt tearing into the concept at the end.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Wife, who has been traveling and socializing regularly, woke up feeling ill today and tested positive for covid -- twice. I feel fine and am still negative, for now. We're going to minimize contact and wear masks around the house for the next few days, but the odds are pretty high that I'm going to catch it.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I tested positive this morning for the first time since this all began. Caiden got sick at the same time, but tested negative. I'll re-test both of us tomorrow, then call my doctor if it's still positive.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Get well soon Caiden, Wife of Kraken. Stay as healthy as possible BH, Kraken.

Just getting over a head cold, my first non-COVID cold since COVID. Was comparatively mild. Grateful it wasn't COVID... I tested multiple times as I was about to begin an unrelated treatment the cold was interfering with.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Get well, all. And congrats on the OOer wedding!
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Sudy wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:44 pm
Just getting over a head cold, my first non-COVID cold since COVID. Was comparatively mild.
i had something like this on my return from Europe a few weeks ago. it was weird, because it seemed to dwell entirely in my sinuses the entire time i had it - could have been a sinus infection? but it was also pretty mild.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Zaxxon wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:45 pm Get well, all. And congrats on the OOer wedding!
Thanks. I'm a bit concerned about the age gap, but I'm sure Blackhawk will be a fine father-in-law to me. He smiles when I call him Dad.

Me and Wife are avoiding each other more than we routinely do. Ordinarily she spends her days working in her office and I do the same in mine, as well as all the routine work of running a household (bills, budgeting, trash, grocery shopping, cat tending, etc.). We hang out together for 2-3 hours over dinner and TV, then go our separate ways again. So we just need to cut out what I call the "togetherness shit" for a few days, wash hands frequently, and mask when we move through the kitchen and bathroom. With a little luck that might work. But it's an aggressive virus in a small house and it's still too wintry to open the windows, so I know my odds aren't good.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur wrote:Corsi–Rosenthal Box
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I tested positive today, as expected. So far I only feel a little sick around the edges. Have a video visit with my doc to get Paxlovid in about 15 minutes. Since I caught it early and hope to start the antivirals right away it should be mild. Just in case it isn't, I masked up and made a quick grocery run so I won't have to leave the house again for a week. I'm ready for some downtime if I need it.

Wife seems to be over the hump with her infection. She's still sick, but she thinks she peaked yesterday.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Kraken wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:32 pm I tested positive today, as expected. So far I only feel a little sick around the edges. Have a video visit with my doc to get Paxlovid in about 15 minutes. Since I caught it early and hope to start the antivirals right away it should be mild. Just in case it isn't, I masked up and made a quick grocery run so I won't have to leave the house again for a week. I'm ready for some downtime if I need it.

Wife seems to be over the hump with her infection. She's still sick, but she thinks she peaked yesterday.
Technically speaking, aren't you more infectious than your wife 'today' - or no?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Unagi wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:40 pm
Kraken wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:32 pm I tested positive today, as expected. So far I only feel a little sick around the edges. Have a video visit with my doc to get Paxlovid in about 15 minutes. Since I caught it early and hope to start the antivirals right away it should be mild. Just in case it isn't, I masked up and made a quick grocery run so I won't have to leave the house again for a week. I'm ready for some downtime if I need it.

Technically speaking, aren't you more infectious than your wife 'today' - or no?
IDK, maybe. Neither of us should've ventured out, but we're on our own so I had to prepare. Since I do 100% of the shopping and cooking, I was able to plan meals through next Monday that need minimal groceries, and I got in and out for just $60 in 45 minutes. That's way outside of Wife's skill set. Even if I'd sent her with the list, she doesn't know where things are and she invariably loads up on impulse purchases on her rare forays into the supermarket. She would've taken much longer and been less effective.

I'm glad I made that guerilla run while I was still feeling pretty good, because I went downhill several hours later and am anticipating a few rough days. I planned simple meals but my tolerance for making them is in some doubt.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Sincerely hope you are feeling better, and soon. I'd have likely made the run as well (for simular reasons).
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Unagi wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:57 am Sincerely hope you are feeling better, and soon. I'd have likely made the run as well (for simular reasons).
Same, all of that. Wife is a disaster at the store, or at least that’s what my fucked up brain thinks, much like other things like “no one can load the dishwasher as well as me” etc. :D
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

my fucking god, don't get me started on the dishwasher.
:P

It's legit. If there is a way to do it wrong - my wife will check the box. My favorite was the upright pint glass. wtf.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Has anyone checked on Smoove? Did the CDC recommendation finally push him over the edge?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I figured Smoove would have some opinions or stories on loading the dishwasher. He could be catatonic.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

stessier wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:43 am Has anyone checked on Smoove? Did the CDC recommendation finally push him over the edge?
I've been wondering myself.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Been a long time since I checked a tracker. I am pleasantly surprised to find that in spite of the unseasonably warm weather getting people out and about in February, cases and hospitalizations are trending down. Let's hope that holds as this weekend is the annual first super spreader weekend for the previous four years.
mori

Post by mori »

I first got Covid symptoms a week ago and have since tested positive. No idea where I contracted the virus. The only people I have been in contact with are my small group of coworkers (5) for the previous 10 days and no one else is sick. I guess one of them is a unwitting transmitter. My 1st time sick with Covid. My last vaccine was this past November. Lost my sense of smell and taste and as a result a complete loss of appetite. Took a week before I finally forced myself to eat a normal meal and only could taste salt. Hot sauce is only heat and no flavor.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Wow, I hope you get your senses back soon, mori.

My recent (third) case of covid was another non-event. I knew Wife was bringing the virus home -- she got sick while she was away for a few days -- so I started testing daily, and as soon as I went positive I secured Paxlovid. As it had done both times before, that fixed me right up just as I was starting to feel really bad. I was sluggish and fatigued for 3-4 days but no serious symptoms, and no lingering effects. Except for the metallic Paxlovid taste, which still isn't 100% gone four days after stopping the drug. But that's better than not tasting anything!

On the bright side, I lost three pounds in a week. I do not endorse this as a diet strategy. The pounds are already starting to creep back anyway.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

mori wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:56 pm I first got Covid symptoms a week ago and have since tested positive. No idea where I contracted the virus. The only people I have been in contact with are my small group of coworkers (5) for the previous 10 days and no one else is sick. I guess one of them is a unwitting transmitter. My 1st time sick with Covid. My last vaccine was this past November. Lost my sense of smell and taste and as a result a complete loss of appetite. Took a week before I finally forced myself to eat a normal meal and only could taste salt. Hot sauce is only heat and no flavor.
Luck to you! I got my last poke in August, I think, on day one of its availability and CVS is adamant that I am not covered for another, so here I sit. I might beg my PCP to beg my insurance co under the immunosuppressed card. I find myself masking more in paranoia of this time of year, even as rationally I know my masking is for you and your masking is for me. I remain in the ever shrinking demographic of never had it, even as I somehow got TB last year and am still being treated for it. I had my closest brush two weeks ago when one of my gaming friends called to tell me he tested positive two days after one of our gaming days and was isolating for a week.
Kraken wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:48 pm On the bright side, I lost three pounds in a week. I do not endorse this as a diet strategy. The pounds are already starting to creep back anyway.
Getting sick has always been my best fast weight loss strategy. 10 pounds for any 3+ day sickness was guaranteed. Probably not so much at my current weight which is only about 2/3s of my heaviest. I hope not to find out any time soon, though I have a surgery tentatively scheduled in May and if that takes me out completely, that's as good/bad as a sickness.
mori

Post by mori »

I got my sense of smell and taste back thankfully. I feel good and the only symptom I still have is a cough that comes on when I start moving around during the day. I want to get back to work but I am still contagious. Hope I test negative soon as I am starting to go stir crazy.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

did not expect this:
The flu is more likely to lead to a neurological disorder than COVID-19, according to a new study that surprised its authors.
https://www.upi.com/Health_News/2024/03 ... 711026204/
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It is rather surprising, yes. Note that it was a study focusing on (1) adults that were (2) hospitalized. I'm pointing that out mainly to reinforce that we still don't have definitive studies on what it's doing to adults and children with acute (i.e. non-hospitalized) infections - especially repeat infections. Also note:
They point out, however, that their study did not assess the effects of long COVID.
But it is good news for those that have been hospitalized. Must focus on good news.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I feel seen:
In her view, many experts have given into "peer pressure" to start moving on from COVID-19, glossing over continued risks like Long COVID; societal inequities that leave some people without reliable access to tests, vaccines, and treatments; and the reality that not everyone is "25 and healthy."

While there are policy measures that could help make society safer for everyone, such as ventilation standards for public buildings and sick leave policies that allow everyone to stay home when they’re unwell, Jirmanus says independent scientists still have an important role to play. If all experts communicated clearly about the continued risks of the virus, Jirmanus thinks people might be more open to precautions like masking, staying home when sick, and getting vaccinated.
Also:
It’s frustrating, Greer says, that many experts, including those she looked up to earlier in the pandemic, don’t seem to feel that way anymore. When even the experts have moved on, she says, it becomes harder for everyone to figure out how to stay safe—and causes people who remain COVID-cautious, like her, to wonder if they're “crazy” for still caring.

“People in our community are pegged as wanting lockdowns again, and that’s not the case at all,” she says. “All I ever want is for people to have the right information.”
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

This is the first year COVID began in 2020 that cases didn't go through the roof after St Pat's day weekend! It's finally relatively safe at least by current reporting standards. I not longer see an easy way to see hospitalizations, which I consider the real metric, though, as I don't think anyone is really reporting unless they have or fear serious illness.

While trying to dig deeper for hospitalization tracking, it looks like reporting is so low because we've moved on here

https://www.michigan.gov/coronavirus/stats

This page will no longer be updated after 03/12/2024.
Convenient timing.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yes. Anecdotally I've been told testing in hospitals is next-to negligible. I'm not sure if it's a payment issue (not being reimbursed for testing) or a logistical issue (no need to know if they're not dying, get them in and out) but we are absolutely existing in an America where we've effectively ignored a disease out of existence.

"Excess deaths" are going to be a way to try and figure out what happened, but that's only going to be useful after a year or two of looking backwards. Looking forward? Disabled and unable to work might be a potential metric to consider, but it won't be specific enough. Same with whatever is happening with kids right now as they're soaking in it and however we want to try and guess the impacts (graduation rates? grades?) over time.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Smoove_B wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:13 am but we are absolutely existing in an America where we've effectively ignored a disease out of existence.
I always knew ostriches had the right idea!
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Video Games as Long Covid brain fog treatment? (seems right up our alley!)
Scientists in Devon hope to reduce the impact of brain fog in people with long Covid using computer games.

The University of Exeter's Beacon Project used the brain's problem-solving abilities to help memory and cognition, staff said.

They added such games had been used in studies into the mental decline of older people and it was hoped similar work could help post-viral conditions.

The first findings could be available by the end of 2024, they said.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Smoove_B wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:13 am Yes. Anecdotally I've been told testing in hospitals is next-to negligible. I'm not sure if it's a payment issue (not being reimbursed for testing) or a logistical issue (no need to know if they're not dying, get them in and out) but we are absolutely existing in an America where we've effectively ignored a disease out of existence.
It's not a reimbursement issue. Medicare covers it as does Medicaid and most commercial insurance. Logitcially, if symptoms are present, testing should be happening. But for everyone else it's not usually done.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Pyperkub wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:04 pm Video Games as Long Covid brain fog treatment? (seems right up our alley!)
Scientists in Devon hope to reduce the impact of brain fog in people with long Covid using computer games.

The University of Exeter's Beacon Project used the brain's problem-solving abilities to help memory and cognition, staff said.

They added such games had been used in studies into the mental decline of older people and it was hoped similar work could help post-viral conditions.

The first findings could be available by the end of 2024, they said.
While there are cognitive benefits to most games, from complex strategy games to high-speed reflex games, what they're talking about there isn't so much games as it is custom designed therapeutic applications that just happen to overlap with games. They're technically still games, but they're not what most people are thinking of when they say 'video games.'
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm sure this settles it:
There is no evidence that mRNA Covid vaccines cause fatal cardiac arrest or other deadly heart problems in teens and young adults, a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention report published Thursday shows.

Ever since the vaccines from Pfizer and Moderna were authorized in late 2020, anti-vaccination groups in the U.S. have blamed the shots for fatal heart problems in young athletes.

Even with the lengthy time frame, Cooper added, the analysis shows that the risk of sudden death in young adults after being vaccinated is significantly lower than the risk of sudden cardiac death from all causes — about 1 in 500,000 per year, compared to 1 in 100,000 per year, according to his estimates.

The data shows “no signal for any elevation in cardiac deaths associated with the Covid mRNA vaccines,” he said. “Their conclusions are quite reasonable.”

No vaccine has ever been conclusively linked to sudden cardiac death, said Dr. Ofer Levy, the director of the Precision Vaccines Program at Boston Children’s Hospital.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Interesting news about Paxlovid:
But a new study published in the New England Journal of Medicine last week found that Paxlovid (a combination of the drugs nirmatrelvir and ritonavir) may not be as effective at fending off COVID symptoms in some people as scientists and physicians previously hoped. In the study, researchers at the biomedical company Pfizer, which developed Paxlovid, assessed participants enrolled in a phase 2-3 trial. They found that both vaccinated people with a high underlying risk for severe infection and unvaccinated people with a low risk for severe infection experienced COVID symptoms for roughly the same duration regardless of whether they took Paxlovid.
And:
The medication is still beneficial to some people—especially older or immunocompromised people who are at a high risk of hospitalization from COVID. But the findings suggest that the medication does not relieve symptoms for those whose risk of severe infection is low or moderate.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

The medication is still beneficial to some people—especially older or immunocompromised people who are at a high risk of hospitalization from COVID.

That's me and you can bet your sweet ass if I ever come down with COVID, I'll be drug seeking toot sweet. I'm almost off antibiotics so I can go in for my next surgery... Once I heal up from that... I will go out, dammit. I will see a show or go to a bar or something. It's only been, what, four years and one month... Of course, I find myself regularly getting out of bed at 03:00 so actually going out might be a bit of a challenge even when I'm finally up for it. And knowing me, I'll catch COVID and get a bad case on my very time out. I mean who else could catch TB while nearly in isolation for three and half years?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Paxlovid fixed me right up all three times I took it. The first and third times, I knew I was going to get sick because Wife brought the virus home, so I was able to start the drug at the first sign of symptoms/positive test. On those two occasions I just started to feel like crap, and then quickly pulled out of it. The middle time, I didn't get Pax until I'd been sick for 3-4 days. I started feeling better as soon as I started taking it, but by then I might have already come through the worst of it. I believe the key is to start Paxlovid as early in an infection as you possibly can, before the virus can get comfortable.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm much less concerned with symptoms than I am with long COVID. I can be uncomfortable for a couple of weeks if I know I will be better when it's done.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

So my wife went to Belfast, N. Ireland, last week (left Wednesday, returned Sunday) to present at a conference. It was her first flight since the pandemic started, and she masked the whole time she was gone except when outdoors or in her hotel room (which is pretty much what I do when I travel). She told me she didn't see a single person in Belfast wearing a mask. By contrast, while mask usage is relatively rare here in Chicago, I still see a handful of people masking when I'm out and about.

After the conference, a group of presenters went to a pub for some traditional Irish music. Some big drunk Irish dude (occasionally an apt description for me!) at one point tried to pull her mask off of her face, but he backed off after he was rebuffed. When my wife was getting t-shirts for the kids, the shopkeeper asked her why she was wearing a mask and whether all Americans did that. She explained our situation and the woman thought it was great that my wife was doing it for the family, but she then admitted that she never masked - not even at the start of the pandemic.

To be fair, we would be a lot less vigilant if it weren't for my son. He's just now getting over a cold that kept him out of school for 3 weeks and led to pneumonia (we were able to treat at home and avoid a hospital admission this time, at least). I truly fear the outcome if he gets COVID. My wife and I are both far enough away from cancer treatment that I think we fall into the "standard" territory for risk. I think I'd still mask up in dense indoor areas (like on the train - I can't imagine raw dogging el train air again), but I suspect I'd have eased up in the grocery store, for example.

I'm heading to Dallas for business on Wednesday - it'll be fun to compare mask wearing in Dallas to Belfast!
That's my purse! I don't know you!