Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hentzau

OctoCon XXVIII - May 10-11, 2024

Post by hentzau »

Back by popular demand!

Details:

What: OctoCon XXVIII

When: Friday, May 10th, Noon to Midnight and Saturday, May 11th, 9 AM to Midnight

Where: United In Faith Church, 6525 W. Irving Park Road, Chicago, IL

Who: OOers, spouses, friends, whoever!

Why?: Let's play some games!

The Facilities:

I have acquired the use of the fellowship hall and lounge of my church for us to use for a gaming day. Cost of using said room is whatever donation you care to make. (Note that this is NOT mandatory, just if you feel like donating, donate!)

The church is a converted printing plant, so the main fellowship hall is inside of the main plant space. It is large and roomy and doesn't look very church like (except for the statue of Jesus that will be staring out at the room the whole time. Hoping this might deter cheating.) We will have access to over a dozen 4X8 tables, and more could be grabbed if needed. It is totally handicap accessable. There is also a kitchen that is part of the hall, we should be able to use the refrigerator there for soda and snacks.

The lounge is right off of the fellowship hall, with couches and places to relax if you are not playing a game at the time. There is a 35" TV in there, so if someone so desired we could have video games running in there during the down times as well.

Food:

There are a number of restaurants in the area. Across the street is a Burger King, a Subway, a Dunkin Donuts, and a chinese fast food restaurant. Down the street is a gyros/hot dog place, a typical Chicago corner greek restaurant, a bar, and another Chinese place (non-fast food). The new official favorite restaurant of OctoCon is now The Jolly Inn, right next door. It's a polish all you can eat buffet, and comes highly recommended by those that have eaten there.

There are two grocery stores right by the church; a large chain store, and a smaller Polish market, for your junk food needs. You can bring your own munchies and soda in with you.

We will do our usual Friday night pizza buy in...probably going up to about $12 a person (bring singles!!!). We'll get a bunch of Chicago style pizzas from Giordanos. Con Favorite (well, my favorite because it was so close) Al's Pizza didn't survive the pandemic.

I will provide a couple dozen donuts and coffee for breakfast in the morning, on a first come first serve basis. Everyone would be responsible for their own lunch, but we have a wide selection. It seems like nobody stops playing for dinner, so we play that by ear too.

We always have a snack table, where everyone brings community munchies, as well as a few coolers of soda.

Alcohol:

No alcohol in the church for insurance reasons. Sorry. Regardless, there are a number of neighborhood-style bars and pubs around the church.

Lodging:

(Note: I have no clue if any of this is still valid...)

The closest motel is the LP Motel, 4605 N Harlem Ave, Harwood Heights. This motel is about 5 minutes from the church. Number for the motel is (708) 457-0600. No guarantees about quality, it looks pretty beat up and run down from the outside.

Another option is the Motel 6 at 9408 Lawrence Ave in Schiller Park. Disadvantage is that it is more like 15-20 minutes from the church. If I were coming here and didn't want to stay in a fancier hotel, that would be my first choice. Phone number is (847) 671-4282.

Otherwise, lots of hotel choices all very close because we are near O'Hare. Just look at Google Maps or your other favorite hotel site.

Questions, let me know.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Re: OctoCon XXVIII - May 10-11, 2024

Post by ImLawBoy »

I'll be able to go to one of these again some day . . . but not this day. Wife will be out of the country so I'll be in charge of the brood that weekend.

And I'm so close to the venue now, too!
That's my purse! I don't know you!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I have a surgery scheduled right after and they get testy about leaving the state before medical stuff, but I plan to return one day so long as I can budget for it. I either need to do it before my car becomes too unreliable or wait until I get a new one, which will put a dent in my feeling like I can budget for anything. I watch for the next one. I was also thinking Origins, which would be considerably more expensive and less personal.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Marked my calendar, which didn't have anything on it for those days. So I think I can go!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:25 pm I'll be able to go to one of these again some day . . . but not this day. Wife will be out of the country so I'll be in charge of the brood that weekend.

And I'm so close to the venue now, too!
It would be nice to see the kids again. I'm just sayin'.
He won. Period.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I’d be glad to see anyone who can make it. It’s in my calendar and only a summons to Tax Court would stop me (still not sure when they’re passing through Cincinnati this year).
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

I'd love to go to one of these but it's just too far for me especially since I'm not allowed to drive uet.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
RMC

Post by RMC »

Going to talk to the wife, and see if a trip to Chicago is in the tea leaves. :)
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Tempting.

I need to get to one of these at some point but I'll be out of the country at that point so this will not be the time.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I’d love to see you if you can make it!
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Seppe

Post by Seppe »

I will be there. Looking forward to it.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

As it turns out my wife is going to be out of the country on those dates in April (i.e., now) not May.

May is still iffy as it's the oldest's birthday and my daughter has two violin recitals (one solo, one with orchestra) on that Saturday. I might be able to swing by briefly in the morning, but we'll have to see.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Seppe wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:42 pm I will be there. Looking forward to it.
One post in 27 years and it's this? Come on, man!
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Well, having my driveway cracked to replace water lines is going to ensure I don't make this one, unfortunately.

Ah, the joys of home ownership.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:30 pm Well, having my driveway cracked to replace water lines is going to ensure I don't make this one, unfortunately.

Ah, the joys of home ownership.
Yeah, I just had to have a tree cut down in my back yard before it falls over in some heavy wind.

But my transportation costs are a bit lower than yours are.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire