who was the best Black Sabbath vocalist?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

who was the best Black Sabbath vocalist?

Ozzy Osbourne *
67%
Dave Walker
3%
Ronnie James Dio *
28%
Ian Gillan *
No votes
Ron Keel
No votes
David Donato
3%
Jeff Fenholt
No votes
Glenn Hughes *
No votes
Ray Gillen
No votes
Tony Martin *
No votes

Total votes: 36

hitbyambulance

Re: who was the best Black Sabbath vocalist?

Post by hitbyambulance »

now listening to - _Seventh Star_ (1986) with Glenn Hughes for yet another Deep Black Purple Sabbath experience. it's... it has a few ok tracks. for a mid-80s hard rock album. and Iommi is an excellent guitarist still. but Sabbath, this is just not - and it wasn't intended to be... it was supposed to be a Tommy Iommi solo album, as was _Born Again_, but Warner Bros wasn't havin' it. so this one is actually compromise billed as "Black Sabbath featuring Tommy Iommi". have no real opinion on Hughes, his vocals are just kinda there. _Born Again_ was definitely more interesting overall than this one.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:57 am
Sudy wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:50 am Since this thread I've listened to entire catalogue (or at least what's available to be on Spotify),
I'm pretty sure that's everything except the Tony Martin era due to rights conflicts.

That would be:

Eternal Idol
Headless Cross
Tyr

They were very much a product of their era, more highly produced with a fuller sound. They're not everyone's favorite, although I'd say that Tyr is probably my favorite album (as mentioned above), mostly due to the nostalgia and memories I have associated with it.
good news for Blackhawk - the Tony Martin era albums are actually being re-released:

https://metalinjection.net/news/black-s ... a-material
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

An archeological dig in a corner of my office turned up a tote bag with swag from the last trade show that I went to. I trashed everything -- including the allergy pills that expired in 2005 -- except for a Dr Evil action figure (with detachable Mr Biggles) and an Ozzy Ozbourne bobblehead. Today I tried to open Ozzy's battery door in hopes of hearing him say whatever he says, but alas, my tiniest screwdriver only stripped the tinier screw.

So...um... for sale, one Ozzy bobblehead that was removed from its package with a dead battery. :lol:
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

As I clean my house, I keep dropping expired meds off for destruction as part of my recycling effort. Every time I think "Finally got them all. No more decades of unused meds in my house" I find one or two more in the strangest places.

I still don't have an answer to this Ozzy is still Sabbath but Dio is possibly my favorite singer with the band and Guillen still had some surprising that just worked.... Nothing after grabbed me.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I voted for Dio. I liked Ozzy fine in BS but Im glad he left because we got full ozzy then and almost everything he did after BS was gold.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Kraken wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:32 pm my tiniest screwdriver only stripped the tinier screw
It may not be possible, but try using a rubber band. You place it over the screw and then press the screwdriver into it. The rubber may help the screwdriver get purchase. We've had it work the few times we tried it.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Kraken wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:32 pm So...um... for sale, one Ozzy bobblehead that was removed from its package with a dead battery. :lol:

if you can't get it working, i'll take it
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

This guy:

Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

hitbyambulance wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:41 pm
Kraken wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:32 pm So...um... for sale, one Ozzy bobblehead that was removed from its package with a dead battery. :lol:

if you can't get it working, i'll take it
Ebay has nonfunctional ones for $20, or working ones for $30 -- too valuable to throw away and not valuable enough to bother with packing and shipping. I checked. :oops:. Wife wants to either hold onto it for her next Yankee swap or send it to her brother as a gag gift.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hitbyambulance wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:16 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:57 am
Sudy wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:50 am Since this thread I've listened to entire catalogue (or at least what's available to be on Spotify),
I'm pretty sure that's everything except the Tony Martin era due to rights conflicts.

That would be:

Eternal Idol
Headless Cross
Tyr

They were very much a product of their era, more highly produced with a fuller sound. They're not everyone's favorite, although I'd say that Tyr is probably my favorite album (as mentioned above), mostly due to the nostalgia and memories I have associated with it.
good news for Blackhawk - the Tony Martin era albums are actually being re-released:

https://metalinjection.net/news/black-s ... a-material
Thanks for the heads-up. I doubt that I'd put most of them back into my regular rotation (although a few songs from Tyr may end up in my painting playlist...), but it'll be nice to hear them again.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)