Whatcha Watchin'?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Max Peck

Re: Whatcha Watchin'?

Post by Max Peck »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:11 am
Hyena wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:05 pm Watching Damsel with Milly Bobby Brown. Gorgeous scenery and effects.
Saw that last night. Nothing earth shattering, but definitely watchable.
I liked it. It isn't likely to win any awards, but it's an enjoyable fantasy adventure that has fun inverting some staple genre archetypes.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:11 am
Hyena wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:05 pm Watching Damsel with Milly Bobby Brown. Gorgeous scenery and effects.
Saw that last night. Nothing earth shattering, but definitely watchable.
Yeah, my wife and daughter loved it. I liked it, as well. Thought the dragon design was interesting and unique, looked almost like a wolf with wings. Robin Wright did well, as did MBB. Surprisingly I thought Angela Bassett was the weakest link, which is so weird because I love her in just about everything else.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Just finished season 4 of True Detective. What an unsatisfying ending. Don't feel like it was well-wrapped up at all. I think season 3 is my favourite one.

Can anyone touch on the references to previous seasons? I hear all the talk about it trying to tie it all together into the previous ones, but it's been a long time since I've seen the other seasons. All I can remember is the spiral from the first season, but the others? I liked Jodie Foster's performance in this. She was probably the best thing about it. But I was also surprised to see Christopher Eccleston in it and didn't even realize it was him until a few episodes in. He had the uncanny ability to sound completely American, which threw me into not noticing him.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

You may want to check out the Vox article I shared for a good teardown, but it's pretty merciless (but fair).

I adored the setup, the setting, and the acting (up until the final episode), but it seems most of the connections and callbacks were sloppy and superficial insertions.

I'm glad the season exists and that the [new] writer/director will be coming back, but in retrospect it reads as a cynical attempt to shoehorn an unrelated story into the franchise. IMO there's no reason why it couldn't take place as the show's fourth season without that level of manipulation. But it obviously wasn't designed for it, either. And then there's the problem of the ending just being bad.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The writer/director of season 4 is a personal favorite of mine, but that's based solely on her fantastic film Tigers Are Not Afraid. Season 4 of TD continues her preferred theme of the "unseen" in a society being victimized and then turning the tables when they realize that the society they live in doesn't really care about them.

But as much as I love her work on that movie, I also walked away from season 4 of TD disappointed. Instead of being about the indigenous people and their lives in this community, it became a show about Jody Foster....and supporting cast. I'm sure that was the intent going in. But it ended up not being what I wanted after all.

BUT, I will still watch ANY show set in a remote arctic town or research station. I'm goofy like that.
He won. Period.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Sudy wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:16 pm You may want to check out the Vox article I shared for a good teardown, but it's pretty merciless (but fair).

I adored the setup, the setting, and the acting (up until the final episode), but it seems most of the connections and callbacks were sloppy and superficial insertions.

I'm glad the season exists and that the [new] writer/director will be coming back, but in retrospect it reads as a cynical attempt to shoehorn an unrelated story into the franchise. IMO there's no reason why it couldn't take place as the show's fourth season without that level of manipulation. But it obviously wasn't designed for it, either. And then there's the problem of the ending just being bad.
Yeah, I saw your link after I had already posted. I missed it the first time around, and was trying to figure out where it had been discussed. And I agree, the ending was bad. It was worse due to the fact that none of those people had factored into the story earlier. That was just sloppy writing.

Hep, I loved the setting. I think as a setting, it served up a lot of potential for a good mystery, and I feel that maybe that's why there was such a letdown. That the mystery devolved into something incomprehensible.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Seriously, get a trial subscription for 7 days or whatever to Shudder and watch Tigers Are Not Afraid. It will rip your heart out and make you realize that Issa López is way better than season 4 of TD would lead you to believe.
Spoiler:
He won. Period.
telcta

Post by telcta »

I second hepcat’s suggestion to see Tigers Are Not Afraid on Shudder. I took his recommendation and was not disappointed. After watching the movie and reading up on Issa and how she worked with Guillermo Del Toro, I was excited to see True Detective but did not enjoy the season. I found it very disjointed and was hoping it would come together towards the end. My wife bailed on it after 4 episodes.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

That, I have no doubt, Hep. It's a fact of life that people are not going to be at the top of their game 100% of the time. If she's great as you say she is, then I would chalk it up to S4 not being her A-game. Just didn't fully come together.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I almost have to wonder if a big budget is to blame for people like Issa López and Guillermo del Toro turning out stuff that doesn't meet the quality level of their lower budget stuff. It seems like the more money you throw at them, the less invested they are in the details that made their earlier, indie stuff so much better. Guillermo still fires off a good one every now and again, but I still prefer his earlier works like Cronos and Pan's Labyrinth to most of his later major studio works. Don't get me started on how much of a misfire Crimson Peak was. :wink:

Side note: I JUST now realized that Tenoch Huerta, who played Prince Namor in Wakanda Forever and was a main character in the Narcos: Mexico series on Netflix, was El Chino in Tigers Are Not Afraid. :oops:
He won. Period.
telcta

Post by telcta »

[makes a note to find Cronos]

I really liked The Shape of Water but haven’t seen Pinocchio and I haven’t heard too much about it if it was a dud or not. I guess I could just watch it, but I’m finding myself relying on people I talk to and trust. Speaking of trust, our local library has a staff recommendation section for their Blu-Ray movies and whoever is in charge does a fantastic job. I recently grabbed Empire of Light and when I returned it, I had to compliment the staffer who’s showcasing the movies.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

hepcat wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:00 pm I almost have to wonder if a big budget is to blame for people like Issa López and Guillermo del Toro turning out stuff that doesn't meet the quality level of their lower budget stuff. It seems like the more money you throw at them, the less invested they are in the details that made their earlier, indie stuff so much better. Guillermo still fires off a good one every now and again, but I still prefer his earlier works like Cronos and Pan's Labyrinth to most of his later major studio works. Don't get me started on how much of a misfire Crimson Peak was. :wink:

Side note: I JUST now realized that Tenoch Huerta, who played Prince Namor in Wakanda Forever and was a main character in the Narcos: Mexico series on Netflix, was El Chino in Tigers Are Not Afraid. :oops:
Yeah, it's certainly possible. Being constrained to a lower budget has been known to make directors get more creative with what they can do. It seems like a higher budget leads to less pressure.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

telcta wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:32 pm [makes a note to find Cronos]

I really liked The Shape of Water but haven’t seen Pinocchio and I haven’t heard too much about it if it was a dud or not. I guess I could just watch it, but I’m finding myself relying on people I talk to and trust. Speaking of trust, our local library has a staff recommendation section for their Blu-Ray movies and whoever is in charge does a fantastic job. I recently grabbed Empire of Light and when I returned it, I had to compliment the staffer who’s showcasing the movies.
He still makes some great movies, but I guess I'm just a sucker for his earlier days making films in Mexico. He just seemed more focused on the story than the look back then. Or at least he had a good sense of balance between the two. That balance seems off after he started making movies for the big studios. But I still love his work overall. His loving and respectful take on Hellboy alone is worth my adoration.

Cronos was the one that put him on the map. It's a unique take on the vampire film. And surprise, surprise, it features Ron Perlman. Definitely worth a watch. HBO Max has it, I believe.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

On Max currently
It's almost as if people are the problem.
telcta

Post by telcta »

Thanks. Sitting at Chili’s bar and scrolling through Max… added.

Max is the only streaming service I pay extra for no commercials. It’s still a great value for me, I think their original shows are quality and access to TCM helps flesh out my gaps in movie history.
telcta

Post by telcta »

Speaking of Max original programming… anybody watching Tokyo Vice? I thoroughly enjoyed Baby Driver and seeing Ansel Elgort is in it, I decided to start the first episode. Then I saw Ken Watanabe in the credits and wondered how I missed this show when there already is a second season.

The first episode has me hooked and Ansel is impressing me with his Japanese. I think this is something my wife would enjoy so I hope it stays strong.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I really liked The Shape of Water but haven’t seen Pinocchio and I haven’t heard too much about it if it was a dud or not.
FWIW, I loved his version of Pinocchio. It was a darker take, but from what I understand, it was also closer to the source material. The Disney remake came out at the same time and that one was heavily criticized for being bland, while this take was praised for being fresh and inventive.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

telcta wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:16 pm Speaking of Max original programming… anybody watching Tokyo Vice? I thoroughly enjoyed Baby Driver and seeing Ansel Elgort is in it, I decided to start the first episode. Then I saw Ken Watanabe in the credits and wondered how I missed this show when there already is a second season.

The first episode has me hooked and Ansel is impressing me with his Japanese. I think this is something my wife would enjoy so I hope it stays strong.
Never watched Baby Driver but I knew they were casting for Baby Driver 2 when I needed to renew my license some years ago. The DMV makes you wait in a line to interact with someone who tells you what other line you should be waiting in. I plopped my then-toddler son on the counter, said he's auditioning for Baby Driver 2 and needs a license, and that made their day. They asked for the ticket they originally gave me back, and gave another one. The next number called was me. :D
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Jeff V wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:46 pm Never watched Baby Driver
You should correct that, sir!
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Finally watched Lighthouse. :wub: Dafoe.

The entire movie was whackadoodle, but I liked it.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I started a Netflix series called "The End of the F***ing World" because it looked weird and the episodes are only 20 minutes long. After a break four episodes in, IDK if I'll go back to it. The teenage psychopath protagonists are weird, alright, but not in a way that drew me in.
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

Mass Effect: Paragon Lost: I supplemented my playthrough of Mass Effect 3 by watching this on Amazon. It's a full-length animated movie that takes place after the opening cutscene of ME2 (though you shouldn't watch it until you're playing ME3). It gives the backstory of James Vega, who is part of a marine squad that is headed to the Fehl Prime colony to protect it from attackers.

It's a surprisingly good watch. The story left me feeling emotional. The voice acting is solid all around, including Freddie Prinze Jr. as Vega. I think most Mass Effect fans, if they don't mind the anime-style art, would enjoy this movie.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Dream Scenario with Nick Cage is out on MAX. Loving it so far.

Word of warning: It gets dark. Like H.P. Lovecraft level.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Kraken wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:17 pm I started a Netflix series called "The End of the F***ing World" because it looked weird and the episodes are only 20 minutes long. After a break four episodes in, IDK if I'll go back to it. The teenage psychopath protagonists are weird, alright, but not in a way that drew me in.
Here’s some guy with taste and good looks who really loved it. Like a lot. :D
hepcat wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:47 pm The End of the F** World is pretty damn great. Eight 20 odd minute episodes follow James, a self avowed teen psychopath and Alyssa, a disenchanted girl as they try to find her father...although James is just tagging along so he can kill her after they do.

It’s a dark comedy that feels like a Wes Anderson film. The leads should be big stars soon. They’re fantastic.
He won. Period.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

hepcat wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:53 pm
Kraken wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:17 pm I started a Netflix series called "The End of the F***ing World" because it looked weird and the episodes are only 20 minutes long. After a break four episodes in, IDK if I'll go back to it. The teenage psychopath protagonists are weird, alright, but not in a way that drew me in.
Here’s some guy with taste and good looks who really loved it. Like a lot. :D
hepcat wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:47 pm The End of the F** World is pretty damn great. Eight 20 odd minute episodes follow James, a self avowed teen psychopath and Alyssa, a disenchanted girl as they try to find her father...although James is just tagging along so he can kill her after they do.

It’s a dark comedy that feels like a Wes Anderson film. The leads should be big stars soon. They’re fantastic.
Figures it would be you. :wink:

You have convinced me to see it through, since the time commitment is small.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Well, to be fair, it does have a near perfect score on numerous review sites. :wink:

Although the second season was a bit weaker, in my opinion.
He won. Period.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

hepcat wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:29 pm Well, to be fair, it does have a near perfect score on numerous review sites. :wink:

Although the second season was a bit weaker, in my opinion.
I only vaguely remember this and had no idea there was a 2nd season. Sure enough, Netflix says i finished season 1and never started s2.
Something else to add to my list.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

There were some of us who discussed the second season when it was announced. Many of us thought it ended perfectly in season 1 and a 2nd season would dilute that. I still kind of feel that way, but season 2 did add some interesting twists all the same.
He won. Period.
telcta

Post by telcta »

Jaymann wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:02 pm Dream Scenario with Nick Cage is out on MAX. Loving it so far.

Word of warning: It gets dark. Like H.P. Lovecraft level.
Just watched this and I enjoyed it way more than I thought I would. I think I’m going to rewatch it on Blu-ray with the director’s commentary.

Another winner from whomever at my library puts these movies in their recommended shelf. I need to meet him or her someday.
GnomeGlimmer

Post by GnomeGlimmer »

I just started watching Game of Thrones. Am I too late? Lol
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

OUTSIDER!

Where’s my pitchfork?

…and my pants.
He won. Period.
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

GnomeGlimmer wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:30 pm I just started watching Game of Thrones. Am I too late? Lol
My wife and I have been watching Peter Gunn lately, so you don't seem too late to me.
Conform or be cast out!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Just finished all 6 seasons of The Expanse (I'd watched the first 3 originally) and I'm starting The Warrior now.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You ever watch Banshee? As a fellow lover of bat shit insane shows, you should if you haven’t.
He won. Period.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I remember Banshee. What I saw of it liked.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I want to thank whoever mentioned Loudermilk (Netflix) some months ago. We just finished it and are sorry to see it end. I guess they were producing a fourth season that got canned by a change in ownership.

Now I have an opening for another half-hour comedy to take its place.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Kraken wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:29 pm I want to thank whoever mentioned Loudermilk (Netflix) some months ago. We just finished it and are sorry to see it end. I guess they were producing a fourth season that got canned by a change in ownership.

Now I have an opening for another half-hour comedy to take its place.
You're welcome. It was an unexpected find.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

hepcat wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:44 pm You ever watch Banshee? As a fellow lover of bat shit insane shows, you should if you haven’t.
I cross one show off my list, two get added. It never ends!

But seriously, I'll check it out.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Two words: Amish….Kingpin
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

In adding it to my watch list, I saw it was an Alan Ball creation. I'm a fan of Six Feet Under and True Blood so I'm guessing this will also be a winner for me.