[Streaming] Max (né HBO Max)

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Punisher

Re: [Streaming] Max (né HBO Max)

Post by Punisher »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 6:18 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 5:53 pm Or just taking the most successful, run-into-the-ground-and-stomped-on franchises and smashing them together: The Walking Dead + The Bachelor = ???
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_Set

But as far as I can tell it is not available to watch or purchase anywhere. :(
Looks like youd need to vpn to another country to see it if you are in the us. Sounds interesting.
I think there are a couple of shows or movies that take place on a reality show or a movie/tv set during a zombie uprising.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 6:40 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 5:53 pm Hope you like yet another spinoff of The Walking Dead! :P
I'd be willing to be that we get fewer speculative shows with things like makeup and effects, and start seeing the return of the 'unscripted' category of shows which are among the cheapest to make, just like we did 20 years ago. I hope you like yet more variants of Pawn Stars, Kardashians, Survivor, Top Chef, American Idol...
God i hope not. We used to love survivor, big brothercand amazing race. I'm pretty much burnt out on them...even AFTER losing my memory of them. I think my watching habits also changed because i know ive watched some shows that i wouldnt have had any interest in the before times.
My wife still sort of watches them in and off.
Idbe ok with more walking dead though.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Oh, I like Pawn Stars and Amazing Race, but not for the fake/staged/contrived drama. I like the prior for the history, and the latter for the locations and cultures (they tend to focus on everyday locations rather than the tourist spots.)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Punisher wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 6:50 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 5:53 pm Hope you like yet another spinoff of The Walking Dead! :P
I'd be willing to be that we get fewer speculative shows with things like makeup and effects, and start seeing the return of the 'unscripted' category of shows which are among the cheapest to make, just like we did 20 years ago. I hope you like yet more variants of Pawn Stars, Kardashians, Survivor, Top Chef, American Idol...
Really?
8 is (Not) Enough?!
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Here's the transcript of the show I heard BTW, if anyone is interested. Also has audio link. Terrible title! :D

"Why platforms like HBO Max are removing streaming TV shows"
https://www.npr.org/transcripts/1161382179
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 7:18 pm
Punisher wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 6:50 pm
Really?
8 is (Not) Enough?!
Yeah. I enjoy the universe and there are plenty of stories left.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

That's fair. It wouldn't be terrible if they told a different type of story for a change, though.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hepcat

Re: [Streaming] HBO Max

Post by hepcat »

hepcat wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:51 pm
hepcat wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:29 pm November 29th is the premiere date for 30 Coins.
30 COINS

New serie
s. The director Álex de la Iglesia immerses you in a world where nothing is what it seems and no one can be trusted. The protagonist, Father Vergara, is an exorcist, boxer and ex-convict exiled by the Vatican in a parish in a remote town in Spain. Little by little, he will find himself immersed in a global conspiracy: the battle for control of the thirty coins for which the apostle Judas Iscariot betrayed Jesus of Nazareth.
Spoiler:
Why am I excited for this? Because Álex de la Iglesia is one of my all time favorite directors. He caught my eye with The Last Circus (which is just utterly amazing...in a beautifully grotesque way) and sealed the deal with such fare as My Big Night (his critically acclaimed comedy about the goings on behind a live TV special...now available on netflix), The Bar (also available on Netflix...it's about what we become when faced with what may be the end of the world), and Witching and Bitching (an over the top horror comedy).

I can't wait to see this. :wub:
Season 2 started recently and I’m still digging this show. I was surprised to see they added Paul Giamatti to the cast in a reoccurring role.

They go all out on their depiction of hell, too. It’s very hellraiser with some hellblazer.
Halfway into season 2 and the whole thing is becoming a damn mess. Sigh. :(
He won. Period.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Jaymon wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 1:24 pm I am watching Scavangers Reign, animated series. Clearly an adult show, group of space travellers who have crash landed on a wierd planet. It gets heavy into horror after a couple episodes. Sort of a - being killed is NOT the worst thing that can happen to you - vibe.
Thanks for the recommendation. I binged all 12 episodes this week. Every episode is a constant reminder about how much the universe and nature doesn't care about you, except maybe as its next meal.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Don't know how I missed this one, currently on MAX. With Clancy Brown and Paul Giamatti!
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

hepcat wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:52 pm
hepcat wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:29 pm November 29th is the premiere date for 30 Coins.
30 COINS

New serie
s. The director Álex de la Iglesia immerses you in a world where nothing is what it seems and no one can be trusted. The protagonist, Father Vergara, is an exorcist, boxer and ex-convict exiled by the Vatican in a parish in a remote town in Spain. Little by little, he will find himself immersed in a global conspiracy: the battle for control of the thirty coins for which the apostle Judas Iscariot betrayed Jesus of Nazareth.
Spoiler:
Why am I excited for this? Because Álex de la Iglesia is one of my all time favorite directors. He caught my eye with The Last Circus (which is just utterly amazing...in a beautifully grotesque way) and sealed the deal with such fare as My Big Night (his critically acclaimed comedy about the goings on behind a live TV special...now available on netflix), The Bar (also available on Netflix...it's about what we become when faced with what may be the end of the world), and Witching and Bitching (an over the top horror comedy).

Season 2 started recently and I’m still digging this show. I was surprised to see they added Paul Giamatti to the cast in a reoccurring role.

They go all out on their depiction of hell, too. It’s very hellraiser with some hellblazer.
I was wondering if I should go for season 2. I liked the first season OK, but didn't care for the soap opera elements of it.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It just feels like they're making up the story week to week. I don't see any grand design anymore to it. :(
He won. Period.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Wife is agitating for me to lift the 3-month suspension early. It only has three more weeks to go but she's escalating so I'm going to relent in the next day or two.

There are two kinds of people in this world: those who choose what they watch from what's available on the services that they get, and those who want to watch whatever they want to watch and don't care where it comes from or what it costs, since their husbands pay the streaming bills.

She's also pushing hard to watch "Oppenheimer" which is now streaming on Google TV, whatever the hell that is. Something that would cost me money, I'm sure.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Kraken wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:51 pm Wife is agitating for me to lift the 3-month suspension early. It only has three more weeks to go but she's escalating so I'm going to relent in the next day or two.

There are two kinds of people in this world: those who choose what they watch from what's available on the services that they get, and those who want to watch whatever they want to watch and don't care where it comes from or what it costs, since their husbands pay the streaming bills.
100% agree. My family has NO CLUE how much all the services cost, and all the deals I find to make shit happen at a modestly affordable price. They spoiled babies, whining when I inevitably cycle off a service in favor of others, or just bc I couldn't get a deal, etc. This juggling shit is hard!

That's not totally accurate. They raise hell when Netflix is treated like every other paid streaming service. They (the fam) believe it to be Untouchable. The other stuff they can take or leave, mostly. I very much consider Netflix to be "choppable".
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Kraken wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:51 pm There are two kinds of people in this world: those who choose what they watch from what's available on the services that they get, and those who want to watch whatever they want to watch and don't care where it comes from or what it costs, since their husbands pay the streaming bills.
Family keeps trying to buy or rent from Amazon before I have a chance to check if it is available on one of our subscribed services. Or wait a day and pick it up from the library. Like the before time.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:06 am https://www.justwatch.com/
I tried that using their app on my phone, and the first time it was wrong, I just thought it was a fluke. The second time, I was like...f this shit! :D It's hard enough trying to suss out what is playing where these days, with all the leasing of titles, etc...I don't need to introduce another complexity element to my game. :D

I've also used Rotten Tomatoes (it shows "where to watch" for each title if you scroll down far enough), and also might have been wrong a couple times IIRC.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:54 pm
hepcat wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:52 pm
30 COINS

New serie
Spoiler:

I was wondering if I should go for season 2. I liked the first season OK, but didn't care for the soap opera elements of it.
Season 2 ended with, I shit you not, a stone UFO, a character dressed as Moses walking through a desert and a multiverse story. This season was bat shit insane, but not Raised by Wolves entertaining bat shit insane. It was just insane.

I have a feeling there will be no season 3. And that’s probably for the best.
He won. Period.
disarm

Post by disarm »

Carpet_pissr wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:06 am https://www.justwatch.com/
I tried that using their app on my phone, and the first time it was wrong, I just thought it was a fluke. The second time, I was like...f this shit! :D It's hard enough trying to suss out what is playing where these days, with all the leasing of titles, etc...I don't need to introduce another complexity element to my game. :D

I've also used Rotten Tomatoes (it shows "where to watch" for each title if you scroll down far enough), and also might have been wrong a couple times IIRC.
I've been using JustWatch for a number of years and have found it to be very reliable and incredibly useful.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:20 pm Just saw that season 3 of Warrior starts on Thursday. Time to dim the lights (the show is very low lit) and watch some brutal violence!
And cancelled. :(
He won. Period.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

hepcat wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:12 am I can't NOT watch something set in remote ice stations. I blame John Carpenter's The Thing and Ice Station Zebra for that. In addition, submarine movies are must watch tv for me. I think it's just the whole claustrophobic aspect that makes it all very real and tense for me.
And the latest season of True Detective is set in a remote Arctic research center. So obviously I’m in. Of course, the opening credits are played over a Billie Eilish song, so that’s one strike.
He won. Period.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Posting here since it is currently streaming on Max. A good movie for anyone who grew up poor, broken home, and trying to find your place in the world.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Season 2 Episode 1 starts tomorrow.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Moliere

Post by Moliere »

hepcat wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:59 pm And the latest season of True Detective is set in a remote Arctic research center. So obviously I’m in. Of course, the opening credits are played over a Billie Eilish song, so that’s one strike.
Final episode of the season dropped tonight.
Spoiler:
I liked the Arctic setting, perpetual night, and constant cold.
A mining company that is polluting the environment for profit and doesn't care about dead babies? Say it ain't so!
Polluting the ground water and town seems unnecessary and generalized if you want to loosen the permafrost in a specific location.
I kept expecting that a microbe they dug up caused the scientists to go crazy.
Great acting all around.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Moliere wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:51 pm

Season 2 Episode 1 starts tomorrow.
I am hooked on this show. I had no clue it existed, so thanks!
He won. Period.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

hepcat wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 4:29 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:20 pm Just saw that season 3 of Warrior starts on Thursday. Time to dim the lights (the show is very low lit) and watch some brutal violence!
And cancelled. :(
Now that it's on Netflix you better rewatch it so they make season 4.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It didn’t work for Raised by Wolves on HBO. :(
He won. Period.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Conan O'Brien travels the world, streaming April 18.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I think I like The Regime. I'm two episodes in and it's rather funny. But I can't decide if it's THAT funny. I will say the actor playing Herbert is very good in this show.
He won. Period.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

By the way, is Max down for anyone else this fine evening? It’s been down for me since this afternoon it seems.
He won. Period.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

hepcat wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:39 pm By the way, is Max down for anyone else this fine evening? It’s been down for me since this afternoon it seems.
Loads fine in my browser. I just added The Regime to my list.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Moliere wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:31 pm

Conan O'Brien travels the world, streaming April 18.
And that’s all it takes for me to re-sub to Max.

I’m a religious listener to his podcast, so this was mentioned, but didn’t realize it was a Max exclusive.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Kraken wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:41 pm
hepcat wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:39 pm By the way, is Max down for anyone else this fine evening? It’s been down for me since this afternoon it seems.
Loads fine in my browser. I just added The Regime to my list.
I think there was an update or something that was causing issues as the "is it down" sites were reporting increases of connectivity issues last night for a significant number of users. It may have just been android tv users though. I uninstalled the app on my Shield TV and reinstalled it and it started working again. First time I've ever had any issues with the Max app though.
He won. Period.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

The Penguin | Official Teaser
Max Original Series coming this fall to Max.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

FWIW there is a promo currently running for Max if anyone is interested.

I just re-signed up for the annual, ad-free plan for around $60. To get that rate, you have to have a credit card with a promo (Chase or AMEX) that gives you $25 cashback off $100 with Max), and use a cashback site like Rakuten.

Otherwise, it's $105 for annual ad-free, and $70 annual with ads.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Metalocalypse: Army of the Doomstar | Official Trailer

They also have all 4 seasons of the show. :music-rockout:
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yeah, I was waiting on this one. I saw it up a few weeks ago and put it in my watchlist, but still haven’t gotten around to it yet. They also have the new Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie, Plantasm. Which I also recommend.
He won. Period.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Moliere wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:39 pm

Metalocalypse: Army of the Doomstar | Official Trailer

They also have all 4 seasons of the show. :music-rockout:
This never interested me in the past because I'm not a fan of heavy metal but decided to watch the 1st episode and give it a shot.
It's just ok. Still not excited about it but it's now on my to watch list...for now..I'll give it a few more episodes before final judgment just don't know when. Definitely have to finish Agents of SHIELD 1st.