Electric Vehicles [BEVs] [FinallyADedicatedThread]

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Re: Electric Vehicles [BEVs] [FinallyADedicatedThread]

Post by Zaxxon »

Preconditioning before your drive will also warm the battery, though it won't always do it at max capability if you're not plugged in, dependent on state of charge and some other factors.

Re: Meal's protip - absolutely, though it should be noted that you'll likely be incurring an intentional energy deficit if you do this. (In other words, you're spending more energy to get regen back than you will likely gain by having regen back, in most cases.). Do it only if you specifically are bothered by not having regen at that moment.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

For the once a year this is likely to happen I'll just deal with it and consider the setting that uses the brakes to simulate regen but never change it because I likely won't need it again until next year.

There is something about my office parking garage that prevents me doing anything to the car from the app which can be pretty annoying when it's 20 degrees out.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

I really dislike not 'owning' my car - having zero control (or even visibility) over what data is sent back to Car manufacturers is HUGE to me 1) because of the surveillance economy and 2) this:
Synacktiv Team (@Synacktiv) took home $100,000 after successfully chaining three zero-day bugs to get root permissions on a Tesla Modem.
and, of course, there are other known zero-days in Tesla (and other cars, but the EV transition is especially abhorrent as ALL of them are now things you don't own):
They'll also demo zero-day exploits targeting Tesla Model 3/Y (Ryzen-based) or Tesla Model S/X (Ryzen-based) systems, including the infotainment system, modem, tuner, wireless, and autopilot.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

And in light of this report by Mozilla, I'm rightfully concerned (not sure if it was posted previously):
the Mozilla Foundation published its analysis of how well automakers handle the privacy of data collected by their connected cars, and the results will be unlikely to surprise any regular reader of Ars Technica. The researchers were horrified by their findings, stating that "cars are the worst product category we have ever reviewed for privacy."

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

#soon

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Rust comes for all things, but cybertrucks more rapidly...
It's only been a couple months since Tesla started delivering its long-awaited Cybertruck to customers.

And as expected, its unusual stainless steel exoskeleton, which can ward off bullets but not stains, is already turning out to be a headache for owners.

One Cybertruck Owners Club forum member says they started noticing small orange flecks appearing on his truck after driving it in the rain for just two days.

"Just picked up my Cybertruck today," they wrote. "The advisor specifically mentioned the cybertrucks develop orange rust marks in the rain and that required the vehicle to be buffed out."

The Cybertruck owner posted followup photos after washing the vehicle down with soap, and they didn't inspire much confidence, showing body panels already pockmarked with small orange spots...

..."The Cybertruck’s exterior is susceptible to corrosion, as acknowledged in the manual," one Cybertruck Owners Club forum member, who posted screenshots of the documentation, wrote. "Once the oxide barrier is compromised, corrosion initiates."

Cybertruck owners are instructed to remove spots and grease stains "with water and a mild, non-detergent soap."

The use of stainless steel, which technically can stain and rust, is a baffling design decision. The Cybertruck is meant to be a workhorse that can go anywhere at any time, per the EV maker's own marketing materials — not an expensive collector's item that you only take out under ideal conditions.

Regardless, it's not clear that all is lost. Another poster wrote that their Cybertruck had showed similar marks, but that cleaning with Bar Keepers Friend and Windex had restored it to its previous shininess.

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

stessier

Post by stessier »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:27 am Details from Ford.
Thanks for pointing it out - just reserved mine. I question why we didn't get a notice through the Ford app, though. And $230 for a regular price seems high.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

stessier wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:43 am
Thanks for pointing it out - just reserved mine. I question why we didn't get a notice through the Ford app, though. And $230 for a regular price seems high.
My guess is a notice will go out once they iron out any kinks discovered by the true believers who find it on their own and start ordering/using. FWIW, the reverse adapter (that lets Teslas use CCS stations) is $250, so I don't think $230 is out of line. These adapters are pushing a ton of current, so they are not at all analogous to the L1/2 adapters. Or, rather, I guess they are but with much beefier internals.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

A bit more detail from the Tesla side:

stessier

Post by stessier »

From the podcast - adapter is Tesla designed and manufactured. Most Level 3 and all Level 4 superchargers should work with it. Will be plug and pay. I wonder how long until Plugshare and the like will be updated to include the integration as I don't navigate using the Ford interface (well, I do, but only for another year when I'll lose it unless I pay for the privilege)?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

One thing I haven't seen detailed is the specific pricing. Tesla is telling people to use the Tesla app, and Ford is touting plug-and-charge with their own interface. So both will work. But do you get the non-member pricing if you don't use the Tesla app + membership, or did Ford work out an agreement to get the member pricing with plug-and-charge? My guess is the former, but I haven't seen anything definitive.

I'm also curious to see how quickly these adapters start shipping, and in what volume. As well as when the next OEM gets in. It makes sense that Ford is first since they committed first (and I also think they're more on-the-ball with BEVs than most other OEMS). Will they come in order of commitment, or in order of capability?
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Thank you guys, for pointing all this out. There is a time limit on getting a free adapter.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Kyle on it as always...

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Seems like an indicator that if you plan to use these a lot, getting the Tesla membership will be worthwhile (ie no special Ford deal).
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

As a Mach E driver, my sister is wondering how you how you get the free adapter. Any knowledge of such things?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:43 pm As a Mach E driver, my sister is wondering how you how you get the free adapter. Any knowledge of such things?
Through the Ford link I posted above.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:00 am I'm also curious to see how quickly these adapters start shipping, and in what volume. As well as when the next OEM gets in. It makes sense that Ford is first since they committed first (and I also think they're more on-the-ball with BEVs than most other OEMS). Will they come in order of commitment, or in order of capability?
From the podcast, the Ford rep said they should start shipping by the end of March, but everything is live as of today (2/29) - which seems kind of odd to me, but ok. The website says we can get it free if ordered by June and to be patient as demand is expected to be large. I'll report back when it arrives.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:58 pm
LordMortis wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:43 pm As a Mach E driver, my sister is wondering how you how you get the free adapter. Any knowledge of such things?
Through the Ford link I posted above.
Thanks for the link. My lightning owning VP of Product was very happy to hear the news and I get all the credit. :D
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

stessier wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:05 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:00 am I'm also curious to see how quickly these adapters start shipping, and in what volume. As well as when the next OEM gets in. It makes sense that Ford is first since they committed first (and I also think they're more on-the-ball with BEVs than most other OEMS). Will they come in order of commitment, or in order of capability?
From the podcast, the Ford rep said they should start shipping by the end of March, but everything is live as of today (2/29) - which seems kind of odd to me, but ok. The website says we can get it free if ordered by June and to be patient as demand is expected to be large. I'll report back when it arrives.
:pop:

I wonder if there was some behind-the-scenes deadline from one or the other company to get it done by the end of Feb. Alternately, I wonder whether this is a kind of intentional ramp-up period where they are giving out adapters to small groups of folks (eg Kyle Conner) to get outside testing going for a few weeks before the floodgates open and the masses start receiving their shipments.

In any event, I love that finally #itshappening. I'm sure we'll see some articles about how these non-Teslas are messing up sites by taking up two spots, but I think (hope?) it'll be less of a big deal than some have made it out to be. V3+ stations can power-share across sets of stalls unlike the old V2s (which are not being opened up), so it doesn't matter where people park in terms of maxing per-stall output (caveat: it can matter, but only in certain scenarios that aren't nearly as relevant as it was with V2). So my guess is we'll see non-Teslas that can't use the stall to their left like Teslas do simply parking in bunches on one side of a station. An F150 Lightning next to a Tesla results in a wasted spot (since it's using the stall to the other side), but 2 cars (or 4 cars, or more) with their ports on the 'wrong' side charging next to each other still only waste that one stall.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Rivian next.

stessier

Post by stessier »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:13 pm I'm sure we'll see some articles about how these non-Teslas are messing up sites by taking up two spots, but I think (hope?) it'll be less of a big deal than some have made it out to be. V3+ stations can power-share across sets of stalls unlike the old V2s (which are not being opened up), so it doesn't matter where people park in terms of maxing per-stall output (caveat: it can matter, but only in certain scenarios that aren't nearly as relevant as it was with V2). So my guess is we'll see non-Teslas that can't use the stall to their left like Teslas do simply parking in bunches on one side of a station. An F150 Lightning next to a Tesla results in a wasted spot (since it's using the stall to the other side), but 2 cars (or 4 cars, or more) with their ports on the 'wrong' side charging next to each other still only waste that one stall.
Kyle talked about that in the podcast - if everyone pays attention, it should end up that all the CCS cars park on one side of the site and all the Teslas on the other side so there is only one wasted space where the two sections meet. It'll be interesting to see if we can all play nicely together. :D
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I honestly only expect issues at the smallest (for v3, that's generally 8 stalls) sites. The 16+ hopefully can work it out pretty easily.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:13 pmI wonder whether this is a kind of intentional ramp-up period where they are giving out adapters to small groups of folks (eg Kyle Conner) to get outside testing going for a few weeks before the floodgates open and the masses start receiving their shipments.
Survey says it's this. A quick Xitter search for 'Ford Tesla' turned up at least a dozen other folks who already have the adapters and are posting experiencing charging Mach-e and Lightning vehicles today.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Rivian is now in.

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I forgot to mention, I drove by the RIVIAN R&D facility last week for the first time since October. They had a ton of small SUVs there. The Internet tells me they were the R1S but they didn't look like that at all. They looked closer to the R3 but I bit larger and more stylish.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

No supercharging space issues on this week’s road trip. I did, however, catch a Rivian and a Mustang supercharging. Cool to see #itshappening.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/copper ... KKAJBUUAY/

8 out of 13 charging stations hit for $10 worth of copper each. :doh:

Enlarge Image
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO
stessier

Post by stessier »

I checked on my order and it's scheduled to ship in May. Doesn't say when in May - just May.

I have to go to ATL on 6/15, so will get a chance to try it out (assuming it arrives by then).
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I saw that some people are getting shipping notifications starting today (or maybe yesterday). So they're at least going out.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Now delayed until June. :(
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

All those Rivian owners who started getting shipment notices this week...
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Um the New Tesla truck has to be put into car wash mode before washing it or it might not restart. Is there a "rain" mode too? :doh:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/te ... r-AA1nIgfq
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO