Rail Route - Design, Construct, Upgrade, Automate and Run Your Railway Network

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

jztemple2

Rail Route - Design, Construct, Upgrade, Automate and Run Your Railway Network

Post by jztemple2 »

So we were talking about this game over on the Randomness thread (see this post and the subsequent ones). Just to make sure it gets mentioned, there is a free trial version of the game which is just the tutorial, you can check out if you like the game before purchasing. Your progress does get carried over to the full game.

The full game is on sale till March 4th.

I put in 101 minutes on the tutorial on the trial version and I then bought the full game and have continued the tutorial map. This is one of those games which is pretty simple in concept but can be as easy or complex as you want. Here's a look at my map earlier on. There are four stations (Dejvice, Bubny, Docks and Holesovice). Trains run on these tracks according to schedules, but there is a limit to how many can be handled due to platform and track limits.

Enlarge Image

This is what it looks like now. I've added additional platforms, tracks and switches to handle more traffic. There are three trains on the map right now.

Enlarge Image

Here's a closer look at two trains passing each other in opposite directions

Enlarge Image

Here's a look at my current contracts, the trains I need to handle. The secret is to accept as many contracts as you can handle, but not so many that you cause trains to arrive late. Arriving on times gives you rewards.

Enlarge Image

Here is a look at some of the green system upgrades. Upgrades provide more automation, lessening the work you need to do per train which allows you to handle more trains. However, you need to unlock those upgrades by receiving rewards for trains arriving on time.

Enlarge Image

Finally, here are the red system upgrades. The points needed to unlock these upgrades are not simply to have trains arrive on time, but to have a certain number of trains operating per cycle. On my current map, a cycle is one hour. Basically, green points accumulate from successful train arrivals, red points by having a set number of successful arrivals per cycle.

Enlarge Image

I'm enjoying the game and am glad I waited till full release. Please post any questions or comments.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Re: Rail Route - Design, Construct, Upgrade, Automate and Run Your Railway Network

Post by jztemple2 »

I played enough of the Tutorial Prague map to get a handle on what I'm doing (maybe :roll:) and I decided to switch to a very simple map so I can just use what I've learned. I'm playing the Manchester map that comes with the game.

Enlarge Image

By the way, when you start a new map, you have three options to make it easier if you wish:

Enlarge Image

Infinite Money is rather obvious :wink:. Unlock All Upgrades allows access to the items that allow more automation as well as allowing the purchasing of more stations, etc. Unlock All Tiers allows even more fancy stuff and more train types like regional trains and freights. These options are good if you just want to play with trains :wink: but I suggest at least a couple of playthroughs without using those options so it is easier to understand how they work.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Hrdina

Re: Rail Route - Design, Construct, Upgrade, Automate and Run Your Railway Network

Post by Hrdina »

I randomly noticed this game Saturday on the GOG store page. Looks neat, but I didn't have time to do much more than wish list it for now. No one on GOG had rated it yet. It seems to be the same price on GOG as on Steam.

From your posting in the other thread, I guess I'll have a look at Rail Route: The Story of Jozic. AFAICT, that's on Steam but not GOG.
Conform or be cast out!
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Hrdina wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:53 am From your posting in the other thread, I guess I'll have a look at Rail Route: The Story of Jozic. AFAICT, that's on Steam but not GOG.
Yup, Jozic is free and it is a pretty thorough look at the game. It's a pretty decent tutorial as well and your saved games get carried over to the full game if you get it.
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

jztemple2 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:06 am
Hrdina wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:53 am From your posting in the other thread, I guess I'll have a look at Rail Route: The Story of Jozic. AFAICT, that's on Steam but not GOG.
Yup, Jozic is free and it is a pretty thorough look at the game. It's a pretty decent tutorial as well and your saved games get carried over to the full game if you get it.
Played through a lot of the tutorial.

Bought the game.

:horse:
Conform or be cast out!
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I've got 17 hours in the game and I'm getting frustrated. I played a lot of the Prague tutorial map, then switched over to the Manchester map and ran there for quite a while, building up a lot of points and money. And I even managed to automate a small part of my trains. But I wanted to explore the automation aspects more so I switched to the Berlin map and used the option to give me unlimited money and all green and red upgrades are unlocked. I have only two routes running and I thought I'd be able to automate that, right?

No. As soon as I did and then added a new track my automation started screwing up. I added sensors to fix one problem and it cause another. I went to the Discord channel and got help to address the new problem and that was fixed, but now something else doesn't work. Obviously it's me and not the game since a lot of people are doing full up automation, but it is so frustrating when I can't seem to get what is almost the simplest setup running smoothly :(
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

I've only played 4.1 hours so far, all on the Prague map except for that little bit that Jozic has you do on another map.

I have only barely touched automation, beyond the Auto Signals, and I don't think I'm using those very effectively yet. I'm still enjoying playing around with the tracks and (mostly) performing the switching manually, but I think I'm just at the limit of how many trains and stations I can control that way. I think Jozic is getting mad at me for not taking enough contracts. :D

Also, I've apparently earned three trading cards: Glasgow, Glasgow, and Glasgow. Three-of-a-kind is a decent hand, right?

Enlarge Image
Conform or be cast out!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I'd like a new Railroad Tycoon-type of game, but this one looks too abstract for me.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Kraken wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:38 pm I'd like a new Railroad Tycoon-type of game, but this one looks too abstract for me.
I would so love something that gives me old-school RRT vibes. I still play RRT2 multiplayer with friends.
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

jztemple2 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:11 am No. As soon as I did and then added a new track my automation started screwing up. I added sensors to fix one problem and it cause another. I went to the Discord channel and got help to address the new problem and that was fixed, but now something else doesn't work. Obviously it's me and not the game since a lot of people are doing full up automation, but it is so frustrating when I can't seem to get what is almost the simplest setup running smoothly :(
I've got a little over 10 hours in the game now, and have started to try to get my head around some of the automation things.

Yeah, whenever I read about the game, or watch someone's let's play, it all seems so simple and obvious. Hopefully it will all eventually seem that way when I'm actually playing! :D

I did find this Tutorial playlist to be a bit helpful, particularly the sections about Construction and Contracts.
Conform or be cast out!