Crew member fatally shot on set of Alec Baldwin movie

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

dbt1949

Re: Crew member fatally shot on set of Alec Baldwin movie

Post by dbt1949 »

The being a Colt Peacemaker would mean that you would have to remove the cartridges to see if they were blanks. Just opening the gun from the back would show cartridges in there but you wouldn't know if they were blanks or not.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Max Peck wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:07 pm
Rumpy wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:22 pm No doubt this is going to change the rules in the industry.
My bet is that it doesn't change the rules per se, because the rules weren't followed by the armorer who allowed live ammunition to find its way onto the set and into the weapon, or by the intermediary person (assistant director?) who physically handed the gun to Baldwin and told him it was safe. The existing rules work if people follow them, which is why this sort of incident is so rare in the film industry.
They would have to make it so that the rules are to be more strictly followed, is what I mean. Otherwise, if someone is not following the rules, they could find themselves out of a job and blacklisted and they'd have to answer to the Union.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

dbt1949 wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:18 pm The being a Colt Peacemaker would mean that you would have to remove the cartridges to see if they were blanks. Just opening the gun from the back would show cartridges in there but you wouldn't know if they were blanks or not.
Which is why you mark your blanks - paint the primers, whatever.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Actually...

Given that there have also been 'object stuck in barrel propelled by blanks' shootings (see Brandon Lee), I'd think that a gram scale could solve lots of problems. Any projectile has significant weight. The armorer has a cart. That cart includes a PC and a scale. The gun is identified, set on the scale, and handed to the actor. If it isn't precisely what it should weigh for a full load of blanks, alerts go off. This would protect against even a single real round, and it would protect against anything lodged in the barrel.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Rumpy wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:23 pm
Octavious wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 4:40 pm Honestly the person in charge of the weapons is the one that should be getting ripped apart.
They should not be allowed near a gun anymore.
LOL!
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Well, I'm glad you find it so funny.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

ROFL!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:30 am
dbt1949 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 4:46 pm Personally when I'm handed a gun I check to see if it's loaded even if somebody says it's not. But, that's just me.
Personally, I don't think I've ever been handed a gun (not a real one, anyway).
It's a fundamental rule: treat every gun as if it's loaded. No matter what. Someone told you it's not loaded? Doesnt matter. Until you check yourslf, it's loaded. It's on anyone handling a gun to know thst.

However, it's on anyone handing someone a gun to be sure that they know that, along with the other fundamental rules. If they don't know that, don't hand them a gun. Even an actor.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

ROFLMAO
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:13 pm
dbt1949 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 4:46 pm Personally when I'm handed a gun I check to see if it's loaded even if somebody says it's not. But, that's just me.
It's a fundamental rule: treat every gun as if it's loaded. No matter what. Someone told you it's not loaded? Doesnt matter. Until you check yourslf, it's loaded. It's on anyone handling a gun to know thst.

However, it's on anyone handing someone a gun to be sure that they know that, along with the other fundamental rules. If they don't know that, don't hand them a gun. Even an actor.
Was the Rust gun supposed to be unloaded?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Alefroth wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 2:27 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:13 pm

Was the Rust gun supposed to be unloaded?
I've no idea. They were just rehearsing. They may or may not have been using blanks for the rehearsal. In any case, "check to see if it's loaded" would include making sure it's loaded with blanks if it's supposed to be (I've fired lots of 'blanks' in parades and demos over the years, although that was a black powder weapon, which works a little differently.) It gets more complicated in a film, which we've argued about in the past (is every extra in every war film supposed to completely unload and then reload every magazine, or is a professional armorer whose job it is to confirm that for them enough?)
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

It would cost time but the best bet would be not to load anything until it was called for on the set.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

It seems like once an actor starts fiddling with a gun and removing and replacing rounds to see what kind they are, the gun would lose any clearance it may have had as a safe weapon.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Night before 'Rust' shooting armorer smoked 'to get high,' texts show
New Mexico prosecutors on Friday showed jurors in the trial of "Rust" weapons handler Hannah Gutierrez texts in which she said she smoked to "get high" the night before the movie's cinematographer was fatally shot on set in October 2021.

In court filings, prosecutors have alleged Gutierrez's use of marijuana, cocaine and alcohol on evenings after filming may have led to her impairment at work on Oct. 21, 2021 when she mistakenly loaded a live round into a gun actor Alec Baldwin was rehearsing with. The texts shown Friday, the second day of testimony in the trial, did not specify a drug.

An expert witness brought by the prosecution who had analyzed texts from Gutierrez's phone testified Friday and showed texts in which she says at 7:48 pm on Oct. 20, 2021, "heading down to get high out back." Around half an hour later she texts "I'm still smoking."
It's almost as if people are the problem.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Is it "orange man bad", or man who makes fun of orange man "bad". :lol:
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO