Remnant 2 (into the Ashes?)

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

coopasonic

Remnant 2 (into the Ashes?)

Post by coopasonic »

Remnant: From the Ashes was a game I loved. My oldest son, loved it way more. The sequel officially releases on Tuesday, but of course there is an Ultimate edition that gives 3 days early access (and is "only" $57 on greenmangaming). I bought copies for both me and the kiddo and we'll be playing likely the second it unlocks.

80 so far on metacritic if you are into that sort of thing. Biggest worry is performance, which the review I watched mentioned as a problem and of course the kids PC is OLD. This may turn out to be a more expensive weekend than I expected.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Re: Remnant 2 (into the Ashes?)

Post by coopasonic »

6 hours played in co-op and having a lot of fun. Very similar to the the original, but with more character build flexibility and more interesting boss fights.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Had some fun with the original and my online friend.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
rf2000

Post by rf2000 »

If you don't mind me asking but coop, how big is your gaming budget?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

rf2000 wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 5:56 pm If you don't mind me asking but coop, how big is your gaming budget?
My gaming budget is whatever I want it to be. I've never done the math, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were a couple thousand a year on games between me and my two kids.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

coopasonic wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 4:37 pm 6 hours played in co-op and having a lot of fun. Very similar to the the original, but with more character build flexibility and more interesting boss fights.
Those are both HUGE positives, imo.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Finished it on release ay, just to feed the perception of my play speed. The Ultimate edition gave us 3 extra days to play and we put them to good use. I'm sure I will put more time into it, but Jagged Alliance 3 needs some love.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

This is on Gamepass and I downloaded it Sunday night. I think I've put in about 8 hours since then. It's a Dark Souls game through and through...but with gunfights. :wub:

I just wish they'd add a way to summon other players to help you, like the DS franchise has.
He won. Period.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

It has full co-op. It's been a while since I played, but if you really need help... I could send my son. :D Though I am not sure if there is steam/microsoft crossplay.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Thanks, I may just take you up on the offer. I did get past two bosses yesterday on my own after upgrading some gear, so there's SOME hope for me.

Also, Harkonis is a HUGE fan of this game and immediately texted me when he saw I was playing online, offering to join me for some co-op. So I'll probably do something with him soon. Unfortunately, my skill as a gamer for this type of game is...well...laughable. So I'm sure anyone who plays with me online will be laughing at my incompetence within minutes. :D
Last edited by hepcat on Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He won. Period.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I suck at these but I'm going to try it on GamePass since I'm moderately better at shooters than I am at traditional melee combat.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I will say that the final boss is actual hell. None of the others even come close, so... uhhh... be ready for that.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

YellowKing wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:32 pm I suck at these but I'm going to try it on GamePass since I'm moderately better at shooters than I am at traditional melee combat.
Xbox or PC?
He won. Period.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

PC, but I started with Remnant 1.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

To me, Remnant 1 and Remnant 2 are as different as night and day. I tried 1 but couldn't get into it because it just felt like a traditional FPS with some MMO parts thrown in. But 2? That's Elden Ring level Dark Souls stuff, man. It's fantastic. The draw for me is getting my ass kicked, and then going off and doing other stuff until I can build myself up enough to go back and dispense justice with my two fists of fury (or, in this case, from a suitable distance like a coward with a sniper rifle).

I'm barely into the first world and I'm already thinking about how I want to kit out my character...and working towards that. If I get that far into a game, you know I'm diggin' it.
He won. Period.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

That's kind of wild to me because there is hardly a functional difference between the two games from a gameplay perspective. Remnant 1 had more equipment you could upgrade and Remnant 2 has more accessory options, but other than that they are really very similar.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It’s more the feel. Remnant 1 felt like a run and gun with MMO tossed into the mix. it felt more like one of the Clancy Division games. 2 feels like a true DS game.
He won. Period.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Okay, I stand corrected. I fired up Remnant 1 on the PC and it found my old save game. I then played a bit. I'm not sure why I took such a disliking (well, more a disinterest) in the first one, but it may have just been timing. The first one IS very similar to the sequel. So now I have two games to finish in the series.

I still kind of prefer the 2nd one, to be honest. But that may just be because I've played it longer.
He won. Period.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Is 2 still enjoyable if you didn't play 1 or will you get list in the story?
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

There's a couple of old guys sitting in the base camp that will regale you with tales that summarize what happened in the first game. Which kind of sucks as I now want to play the first game, but I pretty much know the entire story now...including twists. But I'm sure I'll still enjoy playing the first one.
He won. Period.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

And done. That last goddamn boss almost killed it for me though. It took me literally 30 or so tries before I killed it. :x

I already finished the DLC and spent some time chasing after some new classes I didn’t have. But I’m putting it on the shelf until the next DLC. I shudder to think how many hours I sunk into it. I would put it up there with Elden Ring for a great souls game.
He won. Period.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:51 pm I will say that the final boss is actual hell. None of the others even come close, so... uhhh... be ready for that.
I mean I did say...
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yeah, you weren’t exaggerating. I eventually just walked away and spent a few evenings leveling up engineer so my gun summon would have more ammo and oomph. Plus the armor bonus that that class gives you is fantastic.

I finished with a summoner/engineer combo after spending most of the game with a hunter/handler and Hunter/summoner.

One of my favorite things is adventure mode. I love that after I finished one world, I rerolled it in adventure mode and got an entirely new story to follow. It may have had some reused areas, but it was still fun.

I really enjoyed the hell out of the game. :wub:
He won. Period.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I've been playing this solo on the Xbox. I like this one a lot more than part 1 and I really don't know why, maybe it's just more polished? Anyway I think I'm close to the end. I arrived at the area after you get all three of those relic thingies, and I'm getting close to the giant tree. (Trying not to spoil it for others). So far the bosses haven't given me too much trouble but I am worried about the final boss given Coop and Hepcat's warnings.

One thing I haven't found yet are the materials to get my guns above lvl 15. I think it's called Hardened Iron. None of it has dropped for me, so my main weapon has been stuck at the same level for a long time now.
FTE
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Ok F that last boss. It's literally as if the Devs said "we need a way to make players go back and grind all of the levels they already beat, so lets make the final boss like nothing else in the game, super cheap, and damn near impossible to beat without grinding for hours".

I can literally beat his first phase without taking a single hit at times and then get deep into the 2nd phase before the boss decides it doesn't like me and he just keeps spamming attacks and launching dozens of those dumb orbs. I've had him down to less than 10% health on the 2nd phase at least 4 times and then he goes insane and wipes me. Making it even worse is the fact that this boss fight is like no other boss fight in the game and it goes out of its way to throw shit on the screen so you can't see what the F is going on.

I honestly don't think I have it in me to go back and grind the open levels just to finish the game. I know if I did I would beat him easy when I come back with a stronger build, as I can damn near beat him without grinding, but I feel like that would reward the devs and I don't want to do that.
FTE
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Scraper wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:19 am I've been playing this solo on the Xbox. I like this one a lot more than part 1 and I really don't know why, maybe it's just more polished? Anyway I think I'm close to the end.
I'm in the same boat. Coop called me out my claim that it was different than its predecessor, and I realized it's really not. But for some reason, it just FELT better to me overall than the first one. And I've been trying to get back into the first one now for a few weeks. I just can't though. It's so weird that I can't put in words what the difference is, but to me there is one.
Scraper wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:43 am
I honestly don't think I have it in me to go back and grind the open levels just to finish the game. I know if I did I would beat him easy when I come back with a stronger build, as I can damn near beat him without grinding, but I feel like that would reward the devs and I don't want to do that.
I ended up playing around with weapon builds until I got to where I needed to be to kill him. I used the Engineer with an upgraded turret and the Hunter archetype for the damage output. Even then, it took me WAY too many damn attempts before I finally got lucky and killed him. But I had to spec my character out so that I was able to get that turret back out every few minutes.
He won. Period.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

And new DLC is out. New Invoker class has been added. Supposedly it's only about 2 or 3 hours of new content, but for me the game is more about character building as I try to unlock more stuff. So I'll probably get at least twice that amount of game play out of it.
He won. Period.