Parkitect - Build and Manage Your Own Theme Park

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

jztemple2

Parkitect - Build and Manage Your Own Theme Park

Post by jztemple2 »

Parkitect was put into Steam Early Access yesterday. The blurb says "Parkitect is a business simulation game that charges you with the construction and management of theme parks!" and it looks kind of fun. Be sure to check out the three videos in the preview window, they are great. Here are some images from the game...

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

It looks like a smaller cousin to Rollercoaster World or Planet Coaster, however it does seem to have some nice features. It's apparently been around awhile, but coming to Steam obviously is going to raise it's visibility. According to the game's website, they are currently at Alpha 1a, which makes me think it's going to be in Early Access for quite a time. The core development team is only three people as well, plus some other folks as you can read about here. Still, it looks like a nice game.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Lordnine

Re: Parkitect - Build and Manage Your Own Theme Park

Post by Lordnine »

There are three Theme Park stlye game in development right now. This and Planet Coaster both look pretty good. Nerd3 did a video comparing them if you have 40 minutes to burn and want help making a decision.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Anyone still interested in this and not have it yet? Because it's on sale for half off which matches the lowest for which it has been offered.

My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

It’s been on my wishlist forever.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I can't see paying $15 for RCT2 clone. It does make me want Planet Coaster, though.

/looks at price and DLC pricing for Planet Coaster and then not so much...
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

LordMortis wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:26 pm I can't see paying $15 for RCT2 clone. It does make me want Planet Coaster, though.

/looks at price and DLC pricing for Planet Coaster and then not so much...
I played the RCT games quite a lot back in the day and enjoyed them. I liked the idea of getting a more updated version of them but I thought Parkitect was rather expensive when it first came out. I put its newsfeed on my Feedly account and have been following it since then and I've noticed that the devs have continued to support it.

I got Planet Coaster not that long after it came out and it just didn't click with me. I think maybe it was too overblown and fiddly. And as you say, the DLC pricing is rather expensive.

I decided to get the bundle with the base game and the two content DLC. I'll post here with some impressions eventually.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Oh, this is cool. I can select a guest and one of their tabs lets me look at all the places they have visited by showing me a path:
Enlarge Image

You can put in your own custom images (look closely). You can also put in your own custom music, on my roller coaster I've got music from Tropico 1 :D
Enlarge Image

My park in the dark. This is the second tutorial park, the first is a pre-built park where you are shown how to put down objects, manage staff, etc. This second park lets you build from an empty lot.
Enlarge Image

This is sort of the opposite kind of gaming I've been doing lately. Instead of Early Access I'm playing a game that's been out in full release since late 2018 and has been updated since. There is also Steam Workshop support with twenty-six thousand mods :shock:, including almost seven thousand scenery objects. So there's a lot to enjoy there.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Love the path feature, that’s awesome. Makes me think this is more ‘business sim’ than ‘make your own roller coasters’, is that accurate?

Creating my own coasters was always my least favorite thing in the RCT games, recognizing that was a big part of the appeal to most probably.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:31 pm Love the path feature, that’s awesome. Makes me think this is more ‘business sim’ than ‘make your own roller coasters’, is that accurate?

Creating my own coasters was always my least favorite thing in the RCT games, recognizing that was a big part of the appeal to most probably.
This is really a business sim which allows you to build your own coasters if you want to. If you don't want to there are a zillion ones in the Steam Workshop.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

That actually looks kind of cool. I'm so-so on the art style (I don't mind cartoonish, but it could have more cartoonish detail), but the gameplay looks interesting. It doesn't look like it's on sale very often (or if it is, not by much.) I'll keep an eye on it, though.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:14 pm Image
Exactly where I get my data. A small indie studio's game released at $30 eight years previously has never been under $15 - thus "not by much."
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

jztemple2 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:19 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:31 pm Love the path feature, that’s awesome. Makes me think this is more ‘business sim’ than ‘make your own roller coasters’, is that accurate?

This is really a business sim which allows you to build your own coasters if you want to. If you don't want to there are a zillion ones in the Steam Workshop.
I just finished my third tutorial park. I did make two coasters of my own, both rather ugly :roll: but otherwise I just used what was in the game. I can confirm how much of a business sim this is, I was tracking (using in-game tools) the revenue versus expenses on each ride, how much my concessions were making and how the customers felt about everything. I also managed my staff by putting them in zones and seeing how effective they were. I had an influx of vandals so I had to hire extra security, but once the vandals were ousted, so were the extra guards :?

The thing I suck at the worst is decorating. I simply have no creative talent and so when I need to boost my park's rating by upping the decoration I tend to throw down trees and plants and whatever willy-nilly. But again there are tools so you can see where you need to add some pretty to make the guests happy while I sell them overpriced t-shirts :wink: