RIP The Daily Show

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Odin

Re: RIP The Daily Show

Post by Odin »

I'm in the camp that never liked the Nightly Show, even though I like Larry Wilmore. It just didn't grab me, and with Colbert's new show being an hour, I didn't want to spend the extra time on something that didn't pull me in. I stuck with the Daily Show for quite a while, however since I started my new job, and with the Renn Faire all day Saturday and Sunday, I've collected quite a backlog of Daily Shows on my TiVo and I kind of don't care whether I watch them or not, which is a strong indicator that I probably shouldn't bother. I still think Jessica Williams could have hit either show out of the park if the network, and Williams, had had the confidence to do it.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

I also never took to the Nightly Show. Rarely watched it, as Wilmore just didn't hold my attention. I have watched Noah on the Daily Show more during the election season. But even that isn't consistent viewing. Haven't checked out Samantha Bee's show, as she used to annoy me during her Daily Show days. Of all the DS alumni, I probably tune into Colbert the most.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I only ever see these shows when someone posts clips. These days that only happens with John Oliver and Samantha Bee. I didn't like Bee's Daily Show spots but she's knocking it out of the park on her own. I've seen Trevor Noah just enough to think he's meh, and I don't even know who Larry Widmore is.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

El Guapo wrote:
What's frustrating me is that there's no good way (as far as I know) to get Full Frontal with Samantha Bee without a cable subscription. All the clips I have seen of her show have been tremendous.
You can buy the seasons on Amazon, which is what I've been doing. The show has really been worth it for me.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Little Bo Peep comes into the Lion's Den with Trevor Noah and gets ripped into shreds by his thoughtful questions on the Daily Show. He also has some advice on adapting to Donald Trump's lies (which explains his method for dealing with Tomi Lahren).

Enlarge Image
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Zarathud wrote:Little Bo Peep comes into the Lion's Den with Trevor Noah and gets ripped into shreds by his thoughtful questions on the Daily Show. He also has some advice on adapting to Donald Trump's lies (which explains his method for dealing with Tomi Lahren).
Wow, that young lady is really irritating. I want to go back to not knowing who she is. "I'm a millennial so I don't like labels." Priceless.

The second clip is quite good.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Kraken wrote:I only ever see these shows when someone posts clips. These days that only happens with John Oliver and Samantha Bee. I didn't like Bee's Daily Show spots but she's knocking it out of the park on her own. I've seen Trevor Noah just enough to think he's meh, and I don't even know who Larry Widmore is.
I do it with clips, too, although this usually means binge-watching everything available on YouTube from Oliver and Bee.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Holman wrote:
Kraken wrote:I only ever see these shows when someone posts clips. These days that only happens with John Oliver and Samantha Bee. I didn't like Bee's Daily Show spots but she's knocking it out of the park on her own. I've seen Trevor Noah just enough to think he's meh, and I don't even know who Larry Widmore is.
I do it with clips, too, although this usually means binge-watching everything available on YouTube from Oliver and Bee.
Ditto.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
malchior

Post by malchior »

That interview with Tomi showing how quick he his reminded me of that Stewart interview on Crossfire years ago. You really can see what Stewart et al. saw to give him this opportunity.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Kraken wrote:
Zarathud wrote:Little Bo Peep comes into the Lion's Den with Trevor Noah and gets ripped into shreds by his thoughtful questions on the Daily Show. He also has some advice on adapting to Donald Trump's lies (which explains his method for dealing with Tomi Lahren).
Wow, that young lady is really irritating. I want to go back to not knowing who she is. "I'm a millennial so I don't like labels." Priceless.

Is "millennial" a label or just a category for people born between certain years? A label seems like a thing you call yourself by choice (e.g., conservative) and not a designation like GenX.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I didn't know who she was a week ago and for whatever reason, she's everywhere now, and I've had my fill. Is there a particular reason why she's getting her fifteen minutes?
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

LordMortis wrote:I didn't know who she was a week ago and for whatever reason, she's everywhere now, and I've had my fill. Is there a particular reason why she's getting her fifteen minutes?
She's white.
She's blonde.
She's conservative/Republican.
She's a jerk.

That's kind of in vogue right now.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Not all trolls are ugly in their appearance.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Zarathud wrote:Not all trolls are ugly in their appearance.
Something something Shallow Hal.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Enlarge Image
Interesting description. I read a couple articles that said the interview was "meh" with them mostly talking past each other and neither engaging the other (although they all mentioned her "don't like labels" quote).
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Moliere wrote:
Kraken wrote:

Is "millennial" a label or just a category for people born between certain years? A label seems like a thing you call yourself by choice (e.g., conservative) and not a designation like GenX.
The way she said it implied an unspoken "...and millennials don't like labels, so..."
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I liked it precisely because he didn't 'eviscerate' her. He just kept handing out the rope.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It's alive!

Well, maybe a little:
Jon Stewart will return to "The Daily Show" as its executive producer and host on Monday evenings beginning Feb. 12 through the 2024 election cycle, Paramount announced Wednesday.

Details: The show will continue to air Monday through Thursday at 11pm ET. It will continue to rely on a rotating team of correspondents for hosting the other three days of the week, Paramount said. Stewart will be the executive producer of every episode this year and next, but will only host on Mondays through the election, Paramount said. Mondays are the most-watched day during the week and will serve as a platform for Stewart to catch audiences up on news that broke between Thursday and Sunday.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

John Oliver has long since surpassed The Daily Show, but still it's good to see it's not dead.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Octavious wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:25 pm John Oliver has long since surpassed The Daily Show, but still it's good to see it's not dead.
Agreed but I'll tune in once a week to watch Jon Stewart.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Back in the before times Jon Stewart did his stint at a corporate convention I attended. He was pretty restrained.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Exodor wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:26 pm
Octavious wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:25 pm John Oliver has long since surpassed The Daily Show, but still it's good to see it's not dead.
Agreed but I'll tune in once a week to watch Jon Stewart.
They both can be ruthless, but Oliver's accent makes it SOUND kinder. :D
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It's like he never left

Maybe next year, maybe no go
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

America missed him.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Nailed it!
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I'm so happy he's sorta back. I hope it helps America - somehow. a little.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

final monologue (in the last few minutes) is pertinent
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

That was fantastic...missed him so much.

I'm really surprised to see how he seems to have not missed a beat after all these years "away".

I will definitely be recording every Monday night.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I don't know, I don't feel we need another angry dude yelling the obvious that the system is broken and we are fucked. Stewart needs to get real. We don't have Conan. We have to do the best we can with what we have.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Stewart should run for president.
He should start hosting the Daily Show again first, just to get his name/brand back out there, maybe just on Mondays.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Unagi wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:25 pm Stewart should run for president.
He should start hosting the Daily Show again first, just to get his name/brand back out there, maybe just on Mondays.
He’d get my vote.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳