Curb Your Enthusiasm

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Moliere

Curb Your Enthusiasm

Post by Moliere »

Curb Your Enthusiasm Date Announce (HBO)

"He Left. He Did Nothing. He Returned. Curb Your Enthusiasm is back for Season 9 on October 1 on HBO."
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Kraken

Re: Curb Your Enthusiasm

Post by Kraken »

I saw that a few times and couldn't get into it. It seemed like a meaner rough draft of Seinfeld (which was never one of my favorites, either, although I've seen a lot of those in reruns). Since it's on HBO I won't see it anyway.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Larry David's comedy is centered solely around the selfish, petty and unreasonable aspects of people (himself first and foremost). This isn't feel good comedy. It's a mirror held up to ourselves at our worst. That's hard for some to take. But for those of us who love darker comedy, David is one of the kings. Can't wait for this to return.
He won. Period.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Love the show. So glad to hear that it's returning. It's funny, because there never was much of a confirmation that it would ever continue over the years, but they always somehow manage to pump out another season, even if it's several years after the last.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Jag

Post by Jag »

hepcat wrote:Larry David's comedy is centered solely around the selfish, petty and unreasonable aspects of people (himself first and foremost). This isn't feel good comedy. It's a mirror held up to ourselves at our worst. That's hard for some to take. But for those of us who love darker comedy, David is one of the kings. Can't wait for this to return.
Pretty much this. He says what many of us think. I think his humor is really honest. Just a great show.
Carpet_pissr

Curb Your Enthusiasm

Post by Carpet_pissr »

If you haven't ever seen the "Palestinian Chicken" episode, go find it, and watch it post haste. Laughed so hard I cried first time I saw it.

Here's a taste:
https://youtu.be/K8XNrAjh7eo

I challenge any CYE fan to submit a more funny episode. Image
Rip

Post by Rip »

I just realized I have it with Amazon Prime.

Good, I needed some more stuff to watch.

LOL, amiright?

:lol:
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I remember an early season episode where Cheryl and Larry go out to dinner. You can tell he's ready to go home and, since she's out on a romantic date, suggests they go somewhere else and have dessert, even though the place they're eating at offers dessert.

We've all been there, Larry.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I need to finish it one of these days. I think I left off somewhere in season 7. A lot of it is like a train wreck, uncomfortable to watch but can't stop looking anyway.
Black Lives Matter
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

One of my Top Three Favorite Shows Of All Time, I will be hosting a watching party for the season premier even if I don't like anybody else enough to invite them.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Rip wrote:LOL, amiright?
:lol:
LOL, Right man - we all totally laugh it up with you man. Totally !!!
amiright?
:ninja:
Rip

Post by Rip »

Don't ever touch my yamaka.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

McNutt wrote:I remember an early season episode where Cheryl and Larry go out to dinner. You can tell he's ready to go home and, since she's out on a romantic date, suggests they go somewhere else and have dessert, even though the place they're eating at offers dessert.

Amen.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

One of my favourite episodes is the one where he's dealing with the bubble packaging. And we've all been there at one point or another.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HubZInAs0-A
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Rip

Post by Rip »

The penis wants to get to the homeland.
Jag

Post by Jag »

McNutt wrote:I remember an early season episode where Cheryl and Larry go out to dinner. You can tell he's ready to go home and, since she's out on a romantic date, suggests they go somewhere else and have dessert, even though the place they're eating at offers dessert.

He's a modern day prophet.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Starbucks
Milk mixed with coffee? Who would have thought?!

I've been binging on these clips since I started this thread. Might have to go back and watch the series before the new season starts.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

HA! I'm so psyched for this.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Season 9 Trailer #2

His reaction to the perfume lady is the best. :lol:
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Larry David Hates Animals and People on Jimmy Kimmel Live.

I used his dishes strategy in college when I got tired of the roommates' dirty dishes piling up.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Final season coming 2/4/24!

"A person who hates people yet had to be amongst them."
I feel this in my bones
Maybe next year, maybe no go
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Can't wait for this. I love this show so much.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

As much as I love Larry David, for some reason I just stopped watching around season 5 or so. I think it was because I stopped subscribing to HBO at the time. But I've had HBO Max for a while now and I still haven't revisited it. I think you should all shame me until I rectify this.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

hepcat wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:25 pm As much as I love Larry David, for some reason I just stopped watching around season 5 or so. I think it was because I stopped subscribing to HBO at the time. But I've had HBO Max for a while now and I still haven't revisited it. I think you should all shame me until I rectify this.
If you stopped watching in S5 then you missed the introduction of Leon; your life is diminished.

I blasted through the entire series over the last ~4 months or so. It's absolutely top-shelf material.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

hepcat wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:25 pm As much as I love Larry David, for some reason I just stopped watching around season 5 or so. I think it was because I stopped subscribing to HBO at the time. But I've had HBO Max for a while now and I still haven't revisited it. I think you should all shame me until I rectify this.
This happened to me as well for some reason. I wonder how one of my favorite comedic episodes of all time/ and all shows has aged now..."Palestinian Chicken" First time I saw that I thought one of my internal organs was going to fail I laughed so hard.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I didn't even realize we'd get a new season. The on-again-off-again nature of the show and the fact that he always says it might be their last season has always made it a surprise when we get a new one. It's been quite a few years since the last one.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:34 pm
If you stopped watching in S5 then you missed the introduction of Leon; your life is diminished.

I blasted through the entire series over the last ~4 months or so. It's absolutely top-shelf material.
Come on now, this isn’t shaming! This isn’t even a light verbal dressing down! Come at me, brah!
He won. Period.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Moliere

Post by Moliere »

First episode is out. Unfortunately, I was not impressed. By the 12th season Larry's angry/annoyed guy gimmick has become boring and predictable. The political humor is heavy handed and equally predictable. I get it, you hate Trump and Republicans. At least try to be funny.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I let my HBO subscription lapse years ago when Curb Your Enthusiasm was around season 6 and I was still getting my tv through cable. When I cut the cord, and HBO offered a streaming service, I started resubbing periodically to catch up on things. But I never remembered to go back to Curb.

This month I started to do so after reading about the final season. I started back up with the last half of season 6. And it's just not making me laugh all that much. As Moliere says, it feels predictable. It also feels scripted. The first few seasons Larry's outbursts seemed organic to the conversations and interactions he was having with those around him. Now it just feels contrived and forced. The people who set Larry off usually did so innocently and Larry was the ass. But now it seems like Larry is actually justified in some of his rants...which makes them less funny to me. With the notable exception of some of the guest stars. J.B. Smoove, for example, cracks me up every time he opens his mouth.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

He's a critical element of the first episode of the new season so I don't at all understand the dissatisfaction. My only gripe with the season opener is that Susie didn't get to say "Get the fuck out of my house!" despite being in the episode.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Well, I'm glad he sticks around. I'm only up to the last half of season 6 in my scramble to get caught up.

My disappointment in the show after returning to it after such a long hiatus on my part may just be me. Or it could be the few episodes I've watched since returning to it. Hopefully it picks back up for me.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

If S8 Ep3 doesn't make you laugh, then maybe it's really not the show for you. Don't look up anything in advance - just let it happen. :)

And yes, Leon felt like a throwaway character when he was first introduced but he's been a nonstop source of entertainment every time he's on.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Like I said earlier, it just feels more forced. The situations that set Larry off were normal, every day situations that most human beings would shrug off or just simply endure, which is what made his diatribes funny. And that's how I felt the first 5 seasons or so were mostly. But in my return visit to Curb (so far), the situations that set him off would set anyone off, I would think. They seem designed to purposely be maddening.

But again, it may just be the episodes I've watched or even just me re acclimating to his world.
He won. Period.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

:25 masks on! 3:25 1 mask way in the back.

Reminds me of this:
Spoiler:
Series finale online. I sped through the last 5 episodes to get caught up before the finale. I guess you can call it a double wrap with the Seinfeld tie in. After completing the last 6 episodes I will repeat my thoughts that "Unfortunately, I was not impressed. By the 12th season Larry's angry/annoyed guy gimmick has become boring and predictable. The political humor is heavy handed and equally predictable." Oh well, back to Shogun and Tokyo Vice.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Moliere wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:35 am By the 12th season Larry's angry/annoyed guy gimmick has become boring and predictable.
This is me, but it was by the 8th season. I need to go back and give it a shot again, but I'm having trouble forcing myself to enjoy it. As I wrote before, it just stopped feeling organic and started feeling forced at some point. And they started making the people around him even more unreasonable than Larry at some point, which kind of defeats the purpose of a show about an unreasonable guy with unreasonable expectations of others.
He won. Period.