RIP Brother Wayne Kramer

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Z-Corn

RIP Brother Wayne Kramer

Post by Z-Corn »

MC5 founding member Wayne Kramer died of pancreatic cancer on February 2, 2024.

He was a man with quite a life. Revolutionary political activist to drug addict to prisoner to reformed inspiration in many peoples' lives.

My wife and I inadvertently met Wayne in Detroit. We were going to see The Dirtbombs at The Magic Stick and it was the first time we'd been to the place.

Magic Stick is part of the sprawling Majestic Theater complex which takes up almost a city block and has several venues in it, a bowling alley and a pizza joint. We didn't know which door to use to get upstairs to The Magic Stick.

There was a hip looking older couple walking down the street and I asked the guy if he knew what door to use. He said, "Stick with me kid, I'll get you in trouble!"

We followed them into the club and I noticed that everybody was happy to see this guy and everybody seemed to know him. As we're going up the stairs to the ticket taker I notice a poster on the wall for an upcoming show. Wayne Kramer was playing! Wow, I hadn't heard anything about that guy in ages!

Then I look closer...Wayne Kramer was the guy who showed us in! It was a brush with greatness!

Super nice guy. Every time we saw each other the rest of the night he gave me a fist bump. Just hanging out with the regular folks was Detroit rock royalty.

RIP Brother Wayne. Keep fighting the good fight.
Z-Corn

Re: RIP Brother Wayne Kramer

Post by Z-Corn »

RM2

Post by RM2 »

RIP, legendary music
A nonny mouse

Post by A nonny mouse »

That is such a great story, Z-corn. those proto-punk founders always seemed way more humble than todays 'artists'

This one, for me hits hard. I was the only one of my friends really into the Stooges and the Motor City 5.

Supreme loss of talent not only from a music standpoint, but from a standing up for rights standpoint.

Just like a lot of these losses, they can never be replaced.

:cry:
I find television very educational. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. - Groucho Marx