Defining the 21st Century Republican Party?

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

The Meal

Re: Defining the 21st Century Republican Party?

Post by The Meal »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:27 am KY made the news yesterday when someone from the state GOP proposed new legislation making it legal to marry your first cousin
Another reality TV politician…
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

This would allow property owners to use deadly force against unhoused people on their property without facing criminal consequences.
Sheesh. What could go wrong? /smh

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yup. Round them up and put them into special camps or shoot them. America!
Maybe next year, maybe no go
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:15 pm Yup. Round them up and put them into special camps or shoot them. America!
I haven't read the bill but there is an implication that cities *may* designate areas for the homeless but isn't *required* to do so. Which is a nice way to make being homeless de facto illegal even in public places. Strikes me as unconstitutional but also a monstrous second order consequence that may or may not be intended.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Reading the rest of the article, it seems intended given the incarceration rates.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I think it's a great idea. It will force homeless people to get somewhere to live so they don't have to dip into their savings or IRA to pay the $5K fine!
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

ImLawBoy wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:48 pm I think it's a great idea. It will force homeless people to get somewhere to live so they don't have to dip into their savings or IRA to pay the $5K fine!
Eh, I see it more as the state providing housing (need to boost those jail occupancy rates!)

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:27 am KY made the news yesterday when someone from the state GOP proposed new legislation making it legal to marry your first cousin
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cousin_ma ... ted_States
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

It's legal in NJ? Hot damn! :lol:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Hmm. Be an insurrectionist Oath Breaker or leave the GOP?
MTG wrote:"Not only do we support President Trump, we support his policies. And any Republican that isn't willing to adapt these policies, we are completely eradicating from the party,"

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Ok…seriously, Oklahoma. What. The. Fuck?

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:14 pm Ok…seriously, Oklahoma. What. The. Fuck?
For those who don't know, Ryan Walters is an open Christian Nationalist who is Oklahoma's highest education official.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Quality grammar error from the Education Superintendent. Lol. My autocorrect won't even let me type it. 'Her apostrophe s' is incorrect. It is a rough sentence even if it was spelled correctly.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

malchior wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:24 pm Quality grammar error from the Education Superintendent. Lol. My autocorrect won't even let me type it. 'Her apostrophe s' is incorrect. It is a rough sentence even if it was spelled correctly.
There is not an eye-roll emoji big enough for an Education Superintendent who does that. None. These people are stupid.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Kurth wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:35 pm
malchior wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:24 pm Quality grammar error from the Education Superintendent. Lol. My autocorrect won't even let me type it. 'Her apostrophe s' is incorrect. It is a rough sentence even if it was spelled correctly.
There is not an eye-roll emoji big enough for an Education Superintendent who does that. None. These people are stupid.
Kind of an obscure shout out from Walters but hey, well deserved props to an underappreciated and tragic band.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Trump would stress both her first AND last name in a speech if she were an enemy. Those aren't white people names in his book, I'm sure.
He won. Period.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

The craziest part is any pushback against Chaya (who is truly one of the most odious shitbags in the MAGA-verse) is immediately met with a torrent of “OBVIOUSLY THAT MEANS YOU ARE A PEDOPHILE”

These “righteous crusaders” are simply batshit insane. No amount of logic or truth will ever matter to them. Ever.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Well, it's not like the "Libs of TikTok" account had bomb threats for schools in Oklahoma. Because if they did, boy would that be embarrassing.

Oh, you know they did, who am I kidding.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Love this type of interview:

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Cultivating their ISIS side...
Justin Mohn, who was arrested just before 10 p.m. on Tuesday in the area of Fort Indiantown Gap, a sprawling Pennsylvania National Guard Training Center and heliport, made his video manifesto as a “call to arms for American patriots.”

Mohn, of Middletown Township’s Levittown section, held up the head of his father, identified as Michael Mohn, who was in his 60s, and said he was a federal employee of more than 20 years.

“He is now in hell for eternity as a traitor to his country,” the younger Mohn stated.

Brian

Post by Brian »

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Pyperkub wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:44 pm Cultivating their ISIS side...
Justin Mohn, who was arrested just before 10 p.m. on Tuesday in the area of Fort Indiantown Gap, a sprawling Pennsylvania National Guard Training Center and heliport, made his video manifesto as a “call to arms for American patriots.”

Mohn, of Middletown Township’s Levittown section, held up the head of his father, identified as Michael Mohn, who was in his 60s, and said he was a federal employee of more than 20 years.

“He is now in hell for eternity as a traitor to his country,” the younger Mohn stated.
Apparently he self-published seveal tracts/books on Amazon . Lots of Qanon/MAGA shit.

https://www.newsweek.com/justin-mohn-wr ... lt-1865604
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

And he went with the standard "I'm the messiah" stance, I'm reading. Sheesh, how did no one catch on that this guy was a walking time bomb?
He won. Period.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Say what you will about my kids, but at least neither of them has beheaded me due to my service in the federal government.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

...also, you've hidden all the knives since they were 5.
He won. Period.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

hepcat wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:58 pm ...also, you've hidden all the knives since they were 5.
I mean, I think this 100% validates that practice.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Writes the guy wearing a neck codpiece...

But seriously, I have spent quite a bit of effort trying to avoid ANY videos or photos of real life beheadings. I remember years ago when terrorist videos of such things were making the rounds. I was terrified I would come across one accidentally. Now I'm back to being careful again. :(
He won. Period.
waitingtoconnect

Post by waitingtoconnect »

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol ... 405419007/

Get your party a great deal on immigration that will certainly hurt democrats politically if passed and get censured because the orange tancurian candidate who thinks he’s still president wouldn’t even approve the money for bullets if Biden wanted to start shooting immigrants at the border.

Madness.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

You have to constantly make examples of people to keep the fear going. Sometimes you have to reach.

MYT
waitingtoconnect

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/ ... p-00138817

The Taylor swift conspiracy theories are completely insane as well.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

She's like an Adrienne Barbeau-bot
He won. Period.
waitingtoconnect

And all she did was tell people to get out and vote… no endorsements.

Form the article link above which says it better than me:
The image of Travis Kelce and Taylor Swift kissing on the field after his victory in the AFC Championship game is arguably the most iconic American photo since the Trump mugshot. For anyone whose worldview hasn’t become twisted by politics, it’s a picture of normality. It’s the cheerleader dating the high school quarterback. It’s traditional femininity meets traditional masculinity. It’s the pinnacle of success.

Once upon a time, conservatives would have celebrated it as pure Americana, and poured scorn on anyone who found a reason to say otherwise.
[\quote]
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Funny thing is that she has a lot of songs about not being a cheerleader.

Holman

Post by Holman »

waitingtoconnect wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:54 pm And all she did was tell people to get out and vote… no endorsements.
She did some tweets attacking Trump in the run up to 2020. They know she's anti-MAGA.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

She also endorsed Tennessee governor Phil Bredesen (while speaking against Marsha Blackburn) and Democratic House candidate Jim Cooper. The former endorsement was a big scene in her documentary as she was arguing with her dad and PR people about wanting to speak out and take a side.

MAGA going after her is the absolute worst strategic move they could make. Not only are they pissing off Swifties, they're generating tons of content upon social media about their misogyny. Pissing off an already pissed off female electorate is the absolute last thing they need to do to win this election.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

YellowKing wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:50 pm She also endorsed Tennessee governor Phil Bredesen (while speaking against Marsha Blackburn) and Democratic House candidate Jim Cooper. The former endorsement was a big scene in her documentary as she was arguing with her dad and PR people about wanting to speak out and take a side.

MAGA going after her is the absolute worst strategic move they could make. Not only are they pissing off Swifties, they're generating tons of content upon social media about their misogyny. Pissing off an already pissed off female electorate is the absolute last thing they need to do to win this election.
SSHHHhhhhhhhhhh!!!
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

It would be perfect if Taylor Swift and MAGA's obsession with her are what save us from a Biden defeat.

Come to think of it, I wonder if Taylor has given any thought to throwing her hat in the ring? :)
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hepcat wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:40 pm Writes the guy wearing a neck codpiece...
That Adam's Apple has to breathe.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:54 pm
YellowKing wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:50 pm She also endorsed Tennessee governor Phil Bredesen (while speaking against Marsha Blackburn) and Democratic House candidate Jim Cooper. The former endorsement was a big scene in her documentary as she was arguing with her dad and PR people about wanting to speak out and take a side.

SSHHHhhhhhhhhhh!!!
Don't worry. There's no way they can't attack her. It's pretty much hard-wired at this point.
waitingtoconnect

This is an intimidation tactic for her and other celebrities. Fall in line behind Trump like SnoopDogg or stay quiet or we will come after you legislatively like DeSantis came after Disney.

And it also plays well to the smooth brains that think that the NFL is rigged but the WWE is not.

Also 18% of the population are more likely to vote for the candidate she endorses based on recent polling.