Enshrouded - More survivalcraft!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

coopasonic

Enshrouded - More survivalcraft!

Post by coopasonic »

Max Peck wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:40 pm One of those games is heading into Early Access on Steam on Jan 24:

I'm tentatively interested in checking it out at some point, but probably won't be jumping straight in at the EA launch.
This entered early access this week and a couple of previews I saw have me interested. I'll give a bit but I predict I will be bored at some point soon and pick it up.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Madmarcus

Re: Enshrouded - More survivalcraft!

Post by Madmarcus »

I skipped Valheim because I was on a weak computer at the time and mostly played older games. Now I have a nice newer setup so I'm tempted. Especially as the Pokemon aspect of Palworld doesn't excite me.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Madmarcus wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:43 pm I skipped Valheim because I was on a weak computer at the time and mostly played older games. Now I have a nice newer setup so I'm tempted. Especially as the Pokemon aspect of Palworld doesn't excite me.
FWIW, I think the following video does a splendid job of clarifying why you definitely ought not skip Valheim:

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

He makes a good case but the trolls and the talk of boss battles rather turns me off especially as when the game was new all I seemed to hear was talk about beating bosses and progressing through the regions because otherwise you would plateau through lack of the next tier of resources. Perhaps it is unfair but the description sounded more like a survival puzzle (how can I use this regions resources to be ready for the next region).
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I have Valheim, and I've heard how great it was, but I've always held of starting it.

When I looked into it, all I saw was that solo players should expect a crazy amount of grinding compared to multiplayer. I'm a fan of these games, and I've played a lot of them, or games that are adjacent, and almost all are balanced around playing with a bunch of other people. Some still have a great solo experience (Conan Exiles, although it is more of an 'adjacent'), while others are so balanced around a bunch of people working together that they become grindfests solo (Ark.)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Anonymous Bosch

Madmarcus wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:52 pm He makes a good case but the trolls and the talk of boss battles rather turns me off especially as when the game was new all I seemed to hear was talk about beating bosses and progressing through the regions because otherwise you would plateau through lack of the next tier of resources. Perhaps it is unfair but the description sounded more like a survival puzzle (how can I use this regions resources to be ready for the next region).
Meh, don't knock it 'til you've tried it. Valheim is all about exploration, both in world and mechanics. So, I'd strongly suggest just playing the base game with no mods, taking your time, and only look things up if/when you're stuck or want to improve something specific. Because the exploration experience it provides is best enjoyed organically, and the way Valheim is designed means you'll typically be able to follow boss progression naturally. Also, there are difficulty options that now facilitate a "lighter, more accommodating adventure ideal for the pacifists and builders."

So just dive in, and try things out. Considering that it's currently available for around the price of a fast food meal, I can almost assure you won't regret trying it:

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I have nothing to add because I don't play survival games. But... I'm really confused. How did this become a discussion about Valheim? Is that related somehow? Same developer? I feel like I missed something.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Anonymous Bosch

TheMix wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:01 am I have nothing to add because I don't play survival games. But... I'm really confused. How did this become a discussion about Valheim? Is that related somehow? Same developer? I feel like I missed something.
Enshrouded is a third-person survival-crafter, making it somewhat similar to Valheim, and it's self-described by the developer as "Valheim meets Zelda". My initial response was just an aside to Madmarcus's remark about having skipped Valheim, so apologies for the confusing derail.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

So the takeaway is that no one is interested in Enshrouded, and everyone should play Valheim instead? :D

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

TheMix wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:16 pm So the takeaway is that no one is interested in Enshrouded, and everyone should play Valheim instead? :D
I've played a LOT of Valheim and watched a bit of Enshrouded. It looks like Enshrouded is a more guided experience so if you didn't like Valheim for being so open and waiting for the crow to tell you what to do next, it might be better. Enshrouded also has NPCs you can bring back to your base and some puzzle-like elements. It's also a more typical aesthetic. Some people are put off by Valheim's visuals. If my kids hadn't gotten me back into Fortnite, I'd probably be playing Enshrouded already. I got to level 30 in Palworld and the higher level base raids have stressed me out a bit so I am kind of hesitant to go back there.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I don't know why, but the pixelated graphics in Velheim (no matter how good) just bounced right off me. I could never get into it.
He won. Period.