2024 Total Eclipse Thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Rumpy

2024 Total Eclipse Thread

Post by Rumpy »

So as to not crowd out the other travel thread, here's one specifically dedicated for the Total Eclipse in April.

https://www.greatamericaneclipse.com/april-8-2024
gbasden wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:11 am
Rumpy wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:05 pm Is anyone planning on doing any Eclipse travel? If so, would anyone be interested in a thread about it?
I am - I am meeting up with friends in Oklahoma to see totality. I am still trying to figure out the best methods for photographing it.
Not sure if you've ever been to a total eclipse before, but most experts will tell you to forget about photographing it unless you truly know what you're doing, especially if you're experiencing an eclipse for the first time. Reasoning being, fussing over a camera might lead one to miss it completely in the moments it matters most.

Back in 2017, which was my first, I had set up a camera, although I knew I wasn't going to capture the eclipse itself. Instead, I ended up capturing the experience and energy of the moment. While I didn't capture the eclipse itself, I did capture the darkening of the overall atmosphere which was really cool in itself.

We'd travelled to Oregon, had plans on where to view it that fell through, as the nearby state park was closed to traffic at the time to reduce damage due to the incoming flux of travellers. When we told the motel owner and how we wondered where we'd go next to view it, he did something rather incredible. It's a small hotel in a small town of Spray, Oregon, and he had about 15 guests in total. He invited all of his guests out to his own home property high up on a plateau, and what we had was an amazing intimate experience with 15 people sharing the amazing moment. Had the best possible view too, and I remember peering out at the edge of the plateau and seeing fields of tents down below. The property was a small farm, and I had remembered reading that sometimes animals can react to the change in light. I think about the only thing I remember hearing were a bunch of crows, but other than that, the animals on the farm were rather calm.

This year, the plan is for Ohio. The plan is to view it from a friend's rooftop.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Re: 2024 Total Eclipse Thread

Post by Daehawk »

2017 I viewed it with my wife on the front porch. I ordered special glasses from a telescope place online and was ready. I tried to film some of it ..but its hectic to try and actually see it and get film of it. Mostly just enjoyed something together that wouldn't be a thing again until well after we were gone.

Like Halley's Comet. I remember seeing it from my dad's house a lot in 1986 and knew then I probably wouldn't see it return in 2061. Id be 92 if I was alive then. I was 17 when I first saw it. its special to me, It was easy to see and in the night sky every night for a while back then.
Last edited by Daehawk on Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I spent the 2017 eclipse day in hoppin' Glendo, WY. I had pretty solid luck photographing it:

GIF: click through for the animation:

My favorite totality shot:

For 2024, we're heading to an area near Little Rock, AR. I'm not going to put my focus into photographing this time as my kids will be with me and I just want to experience this one. Can't wait, though.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I don't plan to travel to see this one, but I greatly enjoyed going down to SC to see the 2017 one from a point of complete totality. I have a buddy who's president of the local astronomy club and he brought his telescope out for it. We were set up in a Walmart parking lot with a bunch of other eclipse-goers and the atmosphere was just so cool. It was a tiny little town and they really laid out the welcome mats for us so it was a blast going into the little mom and pop shops. They were so excited to have so many tourists there.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

flying to my brother's house in Austin, TX, then we're traveling an hour west for the path of totality
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

We watched the 2017 eclipse from Guernsey State Park in WY. Took about 3 and a half hours to get there and 9 hours to get back (apparently that's what happens when half the population of Colorado jams onto I-25...) No plans to travel for this one since it's too far for a day drive.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Wow, for once something interesting is coming to me. According to their animation, I'll be near the center.

Enlarge Image
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Prepare to have your mind blown.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:25 pm I tried to film some of it ..but its hectic to try and actually see it and get film of it. Mostly just enjoyed something together that wouldn't be a thing again until well after we were gone.

Yeah, that's pretty much exactly why experts tend to tell people not to try filming it. Fussing over a camera to try to get something can lead to too much emphasis on capturing rather than enjoying, and it's not something recommended for all but the die-hard photographers with experience under their belt. And even so, if you have to try and capture something, it's much easier to do so via photographs, such as Zax took.

Btw, here's another great website for eclipse info: TimeandDate.com https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/solar/2024-april-8

And btw Zax, that really is a wonderful timelapse :)

Last time in 2017 was my first experience, and I can say that once you've seen it, and once you see it with like-minded people, it really feels like a communal experience, one that can be bonded over. It felt so ethereal, seeing that globe in the sky with its outline, the diamond ring effect, the darkening and cooling of the environment.

This summer I attended an amazing talk given by an eclipse chaser. It really made me feel excited for this year's eclipse. And speaking of eclipse chaser, Johnny Carson was well-known to be into astronomy and was a known eclipse chaser. In fact, one hiatus of his where he was replaced by someone on a break coincided with a particular eclipse that year.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Thanks.

Agreed on the communal aspect. Last time, Colorado was not in the path of totality, so my wife and kids ‘saw it’ but didn’t get the full experience. Stoked that they should this time out.