Cloud drives - which one?

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Blackhawk

Cloud drives - which one?

Post by Blackhawk »

I don't need them often, but now and then I would like to be able to use a cloud drive as a location for configuration files, etc. saved across multiple PCs without resorting to a direct sync tool. The problem is that every cloud drive I've tried has been pushy, obnoxious, and bloated. That goes double if you don't need them badly enough to justify a premium account.

Are there any that are actually practical if you're not needing an enterprise-level tool?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
disarm

Re: Cloud drives - which one?

Post by disarm »

If you're only looking to back up a relatively small amount of data in select folders rather than a full system backup tool, Google Drive is a pretty easy (and free) place to start. The free storage included with any Google account caps at 15GB though.

How much data are you looking to back up?

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Currently? Kilobytes. I'm not backing up, I'm just wanting a place that I can point applications to in order to have them share certain files (like configuration information.)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

I'd suggest opting for privacy-first cloud storage providers, such as Sync.com or pCloud.com. Sync provides 5GB of free storage, and pCloud provides 10GB of free storage.

The reason I recommend using a privacy-first cloud storage provider is because once you start sharing things with the cloud, the data you share is not yours anymore. Meaning Google, Apple, or Microsoft and the like usually gets to decide how they wish to use your data and what to do with it. Perhaps they apply facial recognition to any images you upload, or scrutinize your data to see how better to advertise to you. Which isn't necessarily sinister, but given a choice? Opting for fully encrypted cloud storage with strong security seems only prudent, though YMMV. Broadly speaking, privacy-first cloud storage providers often have less bloat and pushiness, too.

If you prefer using Dropbox, Google Drive, or Microsoft OneDrive though, then I'd definitely recommend using the free and open source Cryptomator to simply and easily put a lock on your cloud storage. Here's a helpful video from Leo Laporte, explaining the benefits of using Cryptomator and pCloud for cloud storage:

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke