Avowed (Obsidian)

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Max Peck

Avowed (Obsidian)

Post by Max Peck »

Avowed is the upcoming first-person RPG from Obsidian Entertainment, set in Eora, the same world as Pillars of Eternity. It is due sometime in 2024.

Exclusive: Obsidian breaks 3-year silence to spill the secrets of Avowed, its next big RPG
For just a moment, Avowed looks like any other fantasy RPG—swords and shields, shiny armor and helmets with those funny little nose guards. Then the dual-wielded flintlock pistols show up. And the fungus-infected bear. And the Willy Wonka-ass mushrooms. Obsidian was once the RPG studio that played in other developers' sandboxes, but with Avowed it's getting to paint the world it created for Pillars of Eternity on a far bigger canvas—one in which you're, well, kind of the asshole.

Okay okay, that's not quite fair—you don't have to be an asshole. But you do have to be an outsider, Avowed director Carrie Patel told me in an exclusive interview ahead of Avowed's reveal on Sunday.

As the game begins, your character arrives in a remote corner of the world of Eora called the Living Lands as an envoy of the Aedyr Empire, where you've been sent to investigate a mysterious plague. "Not everybody in the Living Lands is super thrilled to have an imperial presence in this far-flung land," she said. "So adventure ensues."
Patel wouldn't spill much about Avowed's story, but did give me some of the basics on what form of RPG to expect from Avowed:
  • You have an established role as the imperial envoy, but your "personality, appearance, and philosophy and vibe you bring to that role is up to you as a player to decide"
  • You can play as a human or an elf, but not other races
  • It's purely singleplayer—no co-op
  • The world is lightly systemic: think water and lightning interactions, but not the ol' bucket-on-the-head trick
  • You'll have two companions with you at a time, with their own combat specialties and, of course, personalities
  • There are several ability trees to progress through, and you won't be locked to a particular class or playstyle
  • You will level up, but the focus is on unlocking abilities rather than putting points into stats to grow stronger
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
GreenGoo

Re: Avowed (Obsidian)

Post by GreenGoo »

I would love to be interested in first person fantasy rpg's, but they're just not my thing. I realize I'm missing out on all the elder scrolls games, and dragon whateverwhatever, but I just can't do it.

If these existed when I was a teenager, I'd never stop playing. I understand I'm missing out on a good thing, but...no.

I hope this one turns out great.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

GreenGoo wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 4:47 pm I would love to be interested in first person fantasy rpg's, but they're just not my thing. I realize I'm missing out on all the elder scrolls games, and dragon whateverwhatever, but I just can't do it.
What is “dragon whateverwhatever”? Dragon Age? Because those aren’t first person games.

On topic, Obsidian is hit and miss for me, but this seems to have potential. Definitely on my 2024 radar.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I'd heard that Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire didn't sell so well, but that Obsidian still wanted to do something in the world they created, and that if they did it would have to be drastically different, and this seems like it might be it.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

I wasn't impressed, I thought it looked awful.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Skinypupy wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:46 am
GreenGoo wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 4:47 pm I would love to be interested in first person fantasy rpg's, but they're just not my thing. I realize I'm missing out on all the elder scrolls games, and dragon whateverwhatever, but I just can't do it.
What is “dragon whateverwhatever”? Dragon Age? Because those aren’t first person games.
Nope, all of those were either third person or a combination of third person an top-down. There actually are very few first person fantasy RPGs outside of the dungeon crawler genre (Bard's Tale, Wizardry, Grimrock, etc.) There's Elder Scrolls, and... well, you can play some MMOs in first person. Kingdom Come wasn't fantasy, and the Thief/Dishonored/Vermintide games aren't RPGs.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Interested. Obsidian is fine by me. Its looks a bit strange..almost claymation or something from the old days. But mixed with Elder Scrolls or something. Its fine. I like it.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm just overjoyed that someone remembered that fantasy has colors other than gray and brown.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:53 am Its looks a bit strange..almost claymation or something from the old days. But mixed with Elder Scrolls or something.
The games that it brought to mind for me were Dark Messiah of Might & Magic, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, and... Outer Worlds.

It's got a lot of potential. I really do love first person fantasy games, and I really like dynamic combat. Both are hard to pull off, though. I also really like the aesthetics. We'll see how it turns out.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

As I understand it, they're using UE4 (which they also used for The Outer Worlds) so it isn't surprising to see similarities in the visuals for The Outer Worlds and Avowed. Obsidian's core strengths have always been in the narrative elements of their games -- story, setting, characters -- rather than engine technology. If they deliver on that with good gameplay mechanics, then I'm not going to mind if the game isn't as pretty as something like Cyberpunk 2077.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Max Peck wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:34 pm As I understand it, they're using UE4 (which they also used for The Outer Worlds) so it isn't surprising to see similarities in the visuals for The Outer Worlds and Avowed.
No doubt, but it was mainly their character model design and the 'feel' of the world that reminded me of OW.