NFL 2023 Regular Season Plus SUPERBOWL!

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Scuzz

Re: NFL 2023 Regular Season

Post by Scuzz »

stessier wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:49 am
msteelers wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:53 am
stessier wrote:Vrabel firing surprised me.
Same. I expect he’s going to the pats, but if Tomlin does walk away after the season I wouldn’t mind seeing him in Pittsburgh.
I'm not convinced BB is leaving the Pats.

From Vrabel's perspective, at least he was fired early in the cycle - should be able to find a good landing place.
Likely New England.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Re: NFL 2023 Regular Season

Post by El Guapo »

Scuzz wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:38 pm
stessier wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:49 am
msteelers wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:53 am
stessier wrote:Vrabel firing surprised me.
Same. I expect he’s going to the pats, but if Tomlin does walk away after the season I wouldn’t mind seeing him in Pittsburgh.
I'm not convinced BB is leaving the Pats.

From Vrabel's perspective, at least he was fired early in the cycle - should be able to find a good landing place.
Likely New England.
One caveat is that Jerod Mayo has also been talked about in recent years as a likely BB successor. So he'll probably get at least some consideration. And maybe Josh McDaniels...though I hope not.
Black Lives Matter.
Scuzz

Re: NFL 2023 Regular Season Plus Playoffs

Post by Scuzz »

Hrothgar wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:33 pm Did not see Carroll retirement coming. Makes me wonder if there's something behind the Tomlin rumors. Probably not.

On Vrabel, I don't see how he doesn't get a head coaching job. It seems like he'd be the top coach on the market given Belichick's age and Jim Harbarugh's past conflicts and controversies.
He didn’t retire so much as he was forced into an office job. He wanted to keep coaching.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Well that was fast Jerod Mayo to be new Patriots coach.

There had been talk about him for a couple years at least as the likely successor, but with all the candidates out there now I thought there would be a little more of a process. But he seems highly regarded.
Black Lives Matter.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:23 am Well that was fast Jerod Mayo to be new Patriots coach.

<snip>
… But he seems highly regarded.
Behold the Mayo!
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

I read (and it might be in the linked articles too... didn't read more, sorry), that it was written in Mayo's last contract that he would be BB's successor. Hence the quick hiring process, and not having to do lengthy interviews.

Coaching carousel is crazy this year. I'm hoping the Raven coordinators are really bad in job interviews.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Baroquen wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:03 pm I read (and it might be in the linked articles too... didn't read more, sorry), that it was written in Mayo's last contract that he would be BB's successor. Hence the quick hiring process, and not having to do lengthy interviews.

Coaching carousel is crazy this year. I'm hoping the Raven coordinators are really bad in job interviews.
Yeah, there's some language in there that allowed the process to be faster. I can't imagine that it's anything like requiring the Patriots to hire him (seems unlikely that they'd bind themselves like that in advance) but apparently it's something that made things quicker.
Black Lives Matter.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

The Commanders just hired SF's Adam Peters to be their new GM.
Hodor.
naednek

Post by naednek »

pr0ner wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:02 pm The Commanders just hired SF's Adam Peters to be their new GM.

Tired of people poaching our staff. GO AWAY
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The wages of success.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

naednek wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:01 pm
pr0ner wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:02 pm The Commanders just hired SF's Adam Peters to be their new GM.

Tired of people poaching our staff. GO AWAY
Hey, DeMeco was ours before he was yours. Actually, so was Shanahan.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Steelers and Bills moved to 4:30 Monday. Booooo…
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

At least that game’s being televised to the public. I cannot get over the NFL’s greedy money-grab selling the exclusive rights to Dolphins-Chiefs to Peacock. My buddy is a die-hard Dolphins fan, and he’s apoplectic. It’s just unreasonable to expect fans to purchase a streaming subscription to Peacock for one game. Such complete and utter bullshit.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Well, they did pay $110m to do it this one time.

But yeah, even tho I have a free sub from Comcast, I won't watch.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Kurth wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:36 pm At least that game’s being televised to the public. I cannot get over the NFL’s greedy money-grab selling the exclusive rights to Dolphins-Chiefs to Peacock. My buddy is a die-hard Dolphins fan, and he’s apoplectic. It’s just unreasonable to expect fans to purchase a streaming subscription to Peacock for one game. Such complete and utter bullshit.
I remember watching a game (on ESPN I think) where it went to the next game and the Peacock logo came on the screen, but the game kept playing. No such luck this time. I will wait until the game is over and watch the highlights on YouTube without knowing the result. In some ways that is better.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Jaymann wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:17 pm
Kurth wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:36 pm At least that game’s being televised to the public. I cannot get over the NFL’s greedy money-grab selling the exclusive rights to Dolphins-Chiefs to Peacock. My buddy is a die-hard Dolphins fan, and he’s apoplectic. It’s just unreasonable to expect fans to purchase a streaming subscription to Peacock for one game. Such complete and utter bullshit.
I remember watching a game (on ESPN I think) where it went to the next game and the Peacock logo came on the screen, but the game kept playing. No such luck this time. I will wait until the game is over and watch the highlights on YouTube without knowing the result. In some ways that is better.
Locals still see it on broadcast TV, don't they? This the case during the season. Even ESPN games were on local TV during the season. Unlike this season with the NCAA and Peacock for the Big 10 this year, where there was no local broadcast.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Kurth wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:36 pm It’s just unreasonable to expect fans to purchase a streaming subscription to Peacock for one game. Such complete and utter bullshit.
Do people not go to sports bars anymore? Not being snarky, I am genuinely asking. I mean, I'd probably rather pay $6 to sit in my own living room and watch it, but I totally get seeing the game with others at a bar....even though it would probably be 10-15X the cost.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

The other thing is that I really don't think the dolphins have a chance because of all the injuries and it being in KC.

But, snow game? Those are always fun.
Last edited by Pyperkub on Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Crap, I'm late.

But... fwiw

Browns vs Texans
Dolphins vs Chiefs
Steelers vs Bills
Packers vs Cowboys
Raiders vs Lions
Eagles vs Buccaneers
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

$30 for a year of Peacock, if you want to go that route.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

(it was 7-3, Browns with ~2:00 remaining in the 1st quarter when I posted above)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

So far, so good.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I'm a very casual NFL fan. I usually watch if there's a game on because I like football, but have no real rooting interest. I would have certainly watched this game tonight, but there's no way in hell I'm paying them extra to do so.

I hope that it's the least viewed game of the entire year so they don't pull this shit again.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Skinypupy wrote:I'm a very casual NFL fan. I usually watch if there's a game on because I like football, but have no real rooting interest. I would have certainly watched this game tonight, but there's no way in hell I'm paying them extra to do so.

I hope that it's the least viewed game of the entire year so they don't pull this shit again.
I have bad news for you. It could be the least viewed game of the year and it won’t change a thing. This was inevitable, and it’s here to stay.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Saw the highlights, didn't miss a thing.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Skinypupy wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:44 pmI'm a very casual NFL fan. I usually watch if there's a game on because I like football, but have no real rooting interest. I would have certainly watched this game tonight, but there's no way in hell I'm paying them extra to do so.
You wouldn't be paying "them" (assuming "them" = NFL). You'd be paying Peacock (possibly, as they have free trial offers all the time). The NFL did it because Peacock forked over a pile of cash. As long as Peacock forks over piles of cash, the NFL will keep doing it.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

msteelers wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:20 pm
Skinypupy wrote:I would have certainly watched this game tonight, but there's no way in hell I'm paying them extra to do so.

I have bad news for you. It could be the least viewed game of the year and it won’t change a thing. This was inevitable, and it’s here to stay.
Msteelers is correct. I read an article a year or so ago that said this is where we're heading. Eventually ALL games will be streamed because that's where the money is. I don't like it. My wife says she'll just quit watching. But that won't change anything.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I rather like watching just the highlights for teams I'm not emotionally invested in. Just the relevant action, no commercials or endless replay time outs. When the game is on TV I generally have it on but am gaming the whole time.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

RunningMn9 wrote:
Skinypupy wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:44 pmI'm a very casual NFL fan. I usually watch if there's a game on because I like football, but have no real rooting interest. I would have certainly watched this game tonight, but there's no way in hell I'm paying them extra to do so.
You wouldn't be paying "them" (assuming "them" = NFL). You'd be paying Peacock (possibly, as they have free trial offers all the time). The NFL did it because Peacock forked over a pile of cash. As long as Peacock forks over piles of cash, the NFL will keep doing it.
I disagree to a point.

Yes, the NFL loves the piles of cash, but there is a very real danger of this short term cash killing the golden goose.

Boxing used to be the biggest sport in the world, but the move to PPV (combined with other factors) destroyed that market.

The NFL needs to be very careful about this, and I think they will be. They are experimenting with this, but I suspect it won't last until streaming can deliver a competitive number of viewers (I think regular session NFL broadcasts averaged over 20m viewers this year, which is growing - yup, see link - 96% of the most watched shows were football)

https://www.sportico.com/business/media ... 234761753/

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Side note, does any one have any video/photos of what it would have looked like on Buffalo of they had played the game as scheduled today?

I was really looking forward to a massive snow game...) from home in CA, of course ;)

I do have pretty good memories of going to a Nebraska-Colorado game in the sleet once tho. It was both miserable and fun.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Eh, that guy seemed fine being there, which kind of disproves his statement.

Thanks.

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Woof Dallas lol.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Another GOFCAW*

Aaron Rodgers leaves and the Packers advance in the playoffs. Coincidence?

*Good Old Fashioned Country Ass Whooping
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Belichick to the cowboys?

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Lassr wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:42 pm Belichick to the cowboys?

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
I'm just surprised that Jones didn't hire Belichick at halftime.
Black Lives Matter.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I don't watch football much lately, but that Lions game was amazing. I wish they called regular season games like the do the playoffs. Let the small stuff slide and let them play. That one false start call was total bs, but since the Lions won it doesn't matter.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Good win Detroit. Good win.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Must be especially gratifying for Goff to beat the gut who replaced him.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Matthew Stafford still held to the same number of Super Bowl wins as Aaron Rodgers.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra