Books Read 2023

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

El Guapo

Re: Books Read 2023

Post by El Guapo »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:01 am
Blackhawk wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:28 am I really liked it, but it's been a while, so I don't remember the beats or if it changes pace, but I can't imagine having to work that hard to enjoy a book for that long without deciding it's time to give it up for one of the millions of others.
I’m committed, dammit!

And TBH it’s been so glorified on here (I think), that I’ve been more patient with it than I would have normally been.

Even had it not been popular here, I *probably* would still be reading it, just to see what happens. It’s just right on the line for me, hoping that the story continues to engage.
FWIW I really liked it. As a note I listened to it on audiobook - not sure if that impacts things one way or the other, but my experience was slightly different as a result I would imagine. I do vaguely recall putting it aside for a bit and then returning to it, so maybe I got bored at one point too, but overall really enjoyed it and glad that I finished it up.

That said, I don't know that I have much to say other than that I enjoyed it so I would suggest you finish it, but...you know it's your life I guess. :)

Now the second book in the series is pretty long and meandering and doesn't do enough to move the plot forward (though overall enjoyable), and the third book is TBD George RR Martin style, so if you don't love the first book I wouldn't feel pressure to move onto the second. Though the In the Slow Regard of Silent Things novella is quite good and worthwhile as a follow up to the first book.
Black Lives Matter.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:12 am Someone convince me to keep reading "The Name of the Wind" by Rothfuss.
that person will not be me - i wasn't able to discern why this was so hyped up, spent a long time slogging through and putting it down for extended periods of time and i didn't continue with the second book
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Bill Watterson and John Kascht - The Mysteries : definitely worth a library check out (and lingering over the illustrations - the text portion itself consists all of maybe a paragraph). this video is fascinating about how this collaboration actually worked (and the process behind 'constructing' the art) :
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I asked for that for Christmas.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Ancillary Sword by Ann Leckie

This is the second book in the Imperial Radch Trilogy. It picks up where the first one left off. This book is less sci-fi and more mystery. It kind of reminded me of an episode of Star Trek where Kirk and Spock beam down to a planet and become involved in it's inner politics, even though they weren't supposed to do that.

I also thought this book was an easier read than the first one as the authors use, or maybe I should say the authors lack of use of pronouns is easier to follow. Radch language and culture only uses feminine pronouns, with everyone being she. In the first book that confused me, but in this one you get used to it much easier. It is interesting though that I think it would be almost impossible to know what gender any character is, even the lead character Breq.

I don't think this book had the edge to it like the first, but as a middle book in a trilogy it is easy to read, you learn more about Breq and the world around her and it sets things up for the final book.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Going Infinite: The Rise and Fall of a New Tycoon by Michael Lewis

Last book of 2023! Michael Lewis's latest book, about Sam Bankman-Fried and FTX. What's somewhat interesting is that Lewis became interested in SBF before everything imploded, and started following him around and interviewing him and those in his close circle, so he wound up with something of a firsthand view of FTX as things started to fall apart. Seems to have gotten somewhat close to SBF, so this is probably the most sympathetic view of him that you're likely to read (and seems like he's taken some heat for this). Lewis remains a tremendous writer (I love his work), so I really enjoyed the book. Whether he got too close...I don't know enough about the FTX mess to really know, but worth a read for the writing and the information.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Andrea Vernon and the Corporation for UltraHuman Protection
It's almost as if people are the problem.