Advice for a 20-year-old American in Japan

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Holman

Advice for a 20-year-old American in Japan

Post by Holman »

I can't believe I haven't thought to post this question earlier!

My 20-year-old son is leaving a week from today to spend the upcoming semester at his university's campus in Tokyo. He's a mature kid and a strong student majoring in Poli Sci and Urban Studies, so I'm sure Tokyo will fascinate him. Classes will be taught in English, but Kid has studied some Japanese and will be staying with a host family. (The hosts do speak English and have lived in America, but Kid wants to strengthen his Japanese anyway.)

I'm just wondering if anyone has any cool tips for a first-time American visiting Japan for four+ months. He'll be living in the Shinagawa neighborhood (near Tokyo Bay), and he has already mapped out travel times and schedules for avoiding the worst of rush-hour travel. He won't have money for travel to other countries, but he should have time to see some other parts of Japan itself. Apparently the dollar is pretty strong vs the Yen right now.

What's cool for someone in his position to do? What shouldn't he miss?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Daehawk

Re: Advice for a 20-year-old American in Japan

Post by Daehawk »

I only know one tip and its uncool. Dont use a phone on public transport..train or bus and such. Its considered impolite.

If it was me...something cool would be to visit a used video game store or video game museum. The used stores aren't at all like here and are pretty amazing with good prices.

Watch a MetalJesus video on his trips to japan if you dont believe me :)
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Holman

Post by Holman »

Thanks for the phone advice. Students in his program have had some cultural education about how to behave, so I feel pretty sure he'll be OK that way.

My expectation is that he'll come back five months from now convinced that Japan is living in the future. He'll probably be correct.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

If anime has taught me anything he will need to go to a shrine festival, a hot spring, a maid cafe, and an arcade with claw machines.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Drop our old GG writer Bill Harris an email, and check out his Japan posts from this year with Eli 22.x

https://dubiousquality.blogspot.com/202 ... n.html?m=1
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Here are so "no no" things. Some I knew, like no touching people on the head, but others I didn't.

https://www.afar.com/magazine/9-things- ... ve-in-asia

They left off point at anything with your feet(at least in Thailand) or using your foot to stop a bill if it drops and starts to blow away. No putting your foot on the face of the Thai King on the bill. I imagine the Emperor is on Japanese bills(?), so probably no stepping on money there either. Feet are considered kind of nasty in Asia, I'm surprised a foot massage doesn't cost more than it does since you're making somebody touch your nasty feet. I'm not fond of feet or toes myself. Much prefer to see women in closed toe shoes. :lol:
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

and an arcade with claw machines.
Aww man and I bet they don't cheat you here. they rigged all those ive seen since about 17 years ago. used to I could get anything I wanted from them. they enforced a rule about the grip of the things. Then since I was never able to grab a single thing hardly once they stopped inspecting them around here.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
mori

Post by mori »

Never been to Japan but after watching hundreds of hours of travel videos in Japan it can feel intimidating. Just the way one hands money to a merchant and receives change is outlandish to our western ways. But I think they cut foreigners, especially those from the west some slack. As long as they are polite and respectful.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Holman wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:42 pm My expectation is that he'll come back five months from now convinced that Japan is living in the future. He'll probably be correct.
Indeed. Japan has an aged population and their numbers are in decline. The US is on the same trajectory; we're aging and our population would be falling already if not for immigration (a saving grace that Japan doesn't have). Demographics drive their emphasis on robotics, and especially on developing personal care/companion robots.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Kraken wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:25 pm
Holman wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:42 pm My expectation is that he'll come back five months from now convinced that Japan is living in the future. He'll probably be correct.
Indeed. Japan has an aged population and their numbers are in decline. The US is on the same trajectory; we're aging and our population would be falling already if not for immigration (a saving grace that Japan doesn't have). Demographics drive their emphasis on robotics, and especially on developing personal care/companion robots.
Just to see a shopping mall and food court in Thailand would make you think we're actually a third world country here in the good ol' USA.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Travel advice. It was over 40 years ago, but I lived in Okinawa as a kid (dad was a Marine) and I remember how beautiful it was. I'm sure it's more developed by now, of course, but there should still be some traditional areas to visit/tour?
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

mori wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:35 pm Just the way one hands money to a merchant and receives change is outlandish to our western ways.
Elaborate?
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Unagi wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:39 pm
mori wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:35 pm Just the way one hands money to a merchant and receives change is outlandish to our western ways.
Elaborate?
Money is rarely passed directly from hand to hand in Japan. So, you should generally try NOT to hand money directly to a merchant. When paying, you typically see a small carton or tray where payments, your change, and your receipt are intended to be placed. There are exceptions, like festival food stalls and such, where they don't have room for a counter, and handling money is acceptable. But otherwise, it's best to keep your eye out for the payment tray or place your payments down upon the counter.

Speaking of money, cash is king in Japan and should be carried with you at ALL times. Because many Japanese establishments will only accept cash. Credit card and smart pay options are sometimes available. But don't count on it. Because outside of major cities, they tend to be few and far between. Strange as it may sound, it's not at all uncommon in Japan to carry the Japanese equivalent of around $400 (USD) or so as part of your everyday carry. Otherwise, you'll almost invariably end up wasting time searching for a suitable foreign-friendly ATM to withdraw required funds.

Also, tourists must carry passports with them at all times in Japan. Because if stopped by a policeman in Japan, you are required by law to show them your passport. But there's also a useful benefit in keeping your passport handy. Because you can take advantage of tax-free shopping by presenting your passport in certain stores. This can provide a decent discount that your son will likely appreciate.

Another useful rule of thumb? When using a taxi in Japan, try to resist the impulse to open and close taxi doors yourself. Because Japanese taxi doors are almost always automatic. It might feel strange not to close the door after getting into a taxi. But if you do so, then the door may not close correctly and the driver may be unsure if it's safe to proceed. So, it's generally best to sit back and enjoy this feature of Japanese travel, so as not to inconvenience your driver. Having said that though, taxi travel within Japan tends to be costly, so I doubt it's something your son would use frequently.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Holman

Post by Holman »

Thanks for all the advice, everyone! I have condensed it into a file for my boy.

We're driving him from Philly up to NYC tomorrow afternoon, and he'll lift out of JFK just after midnight for a non-stop flight to Tokyo.

I'm kind of amazed that this is possible. I would have assumed that a layover in Los Angeles or San Francisco or at least Hawaii would be necessary, but apparently the Boeing 777-300ER can cross more than a hemisphere without refueling. Kid will be in the air for 15 hours.

I only pray that the in-flight movies will be tolerable.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

He's probably flying over Alaska.

It's almost as if people are the problem.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:54 pm He's probably flying over Alaska.

I bet that's a hard concept for most people. Globe versus Mercator Projection. :lol:

As a variation if you hand something to someone in Thailand you do it with both hands, and they receive it with both hands. I've no idea why you have to use both hands though.

Good that he doesn't have to fly into JFK. Not fun going from domestic terminal to international terminal at JFK. Only way we found was a long walk outside in February, There must be some other method, but we didn't find it.
malchior

Post by malchior »

em2nought wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:09 pmGood that he doesn't have to fly into JFK. Not fun going from domestic terminal to international terminal at JFK. Only way we found was a long walk outside in February, There must be some other method, but we didn't find it.
There is a train between all terminals. It is not like LGA where you can't even walk between terminals and have to take a bus that fights through city traffic. Lol.

One thing I would say is that the timing of the end of the trip is around the cherry blossom festivals. I don't know if that is a thing a young person will enjoy but it is a great time to walk around and people often have picnics with friends to commemorate the beginning of spring.

One thing of note is that they've had a bit of a tourism boom and the most popular train passes recently saw relatively large price increases. I think there are still ways for students to get good discounts but even despite the increase that is generally the most affordable way to explore other regions.

If they have time/resources it is always good to visit a onsen. And a stretch goal might be to do an overnight at a ryokan. I'm planning a big trip there and that is a must do on my list.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I have no personal experience to add, I've only ever passed through airports. But I have a FB friend originally from the US who married a Japanese woman there and he teaches at a college there. If you have any specific questions left me know and I can ask him, he's the "happy to help" sort.
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

Thanks for the advice, everyone! I copied it into an email for the Kid. More is always welcome.

We took him to JFK for a 12:30 am departure, and he just now texted (well, WhatsApped) that he is on the ground in Tokyo and it's Tuesday morning. He's living 14 hours in the future.