[Netflix] The Fall of the House of Usher

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hepcat

[Netflix] The Fall of the House of Usher

Post by hepcat »

I’m a big fan of Mike Flanagan. He’s fantastic at setting up creepy atmospheres and can keep a compelling story going. He doesn’t always stick the landing, but I still love his work. He reminds me of Stephen King in his early years.

The Fall of the House of Usher just debuted and so far, so good. It’s basically a series of vignettes on how the Usher family members have died over the years. And they don’t die well.

This is some fine Halloween fare.
He won. Period.
hitbyambulance

Re: [Netflix] The Fall of the House of Usher

Post by hitbyambulance »

i heard that the story arcs also incorporate other Edgar Allan Poe short stories
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Well, now I'm looking forward to it even more. :D
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

And an absence of Ambrose Bierce references.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The other night I woke up and walked out to the kitchen and got an ice cream bar out of my freezer. It was friggin' huge. I couldn't believe my luck. It took me about an hour and a half to finish it. Then when I looked in the fridge again, there was ANOTHER one!

...then I suddenly realized I was hanging by the neck on a rope off a bridge and I died. :(

Man, I hate it when that happens.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Should have gone for the Fudg'icle.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Watched the first episode last night and it's great so far.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Yeah, as someone who was super disappointed in Season 2, this seems like a fantastic return to form. I also thought it cool seeing Henry Thomas playing a younger son in this role after playing an older dad in Pet Sematary: Bloodlines. I love his range. Also Mark Hamill is a got dang national treasure.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

We watched two episodes last night. It didn't hook me as quickly as The Haunting of Hill House did, but it's still enjoyable. We have a bit more time for TV shows now, so I imagine we'll be able to watch all 8 episodes before Halloween.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The end of episode 3? Yikes.

Also, is there anything Carla Gugino can't do? :wub:
He won. Period.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

My wife and I have gotten through five episodes and WOW does it ramp up quickly. Each episode is
Spoiler:
an homage to one of his most famous short stories, hinted at by the title of the episode. If you are familiar with his works, it's pretty awesome. It's brilliant writing, in my opinion, to tie in completely different stories to a single thread/storyline, and the acting is pretty damn good as well.
We are really enjoying it, and we'll probably finish the series before the end of the week.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Flanagan is a fantastic writer. He builds a story then layers in the characters, giving them a life beyond the story itself, before he gets to the scares. It also makes those scares even better as they don't just come out of nowhere. They're often an organic extension of the story or characters.

If you haven't seen his full length Doctor Sleep adaptation, I highly recommend you do. I never thought I'd enjoy it as much as I did. But I ended up buying the director's cut so I could get more of the story.
He won. Period.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

hepcat wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:07 pm Flanagan is a fantastic writer. He builds a story then layers in the characters, giving them a life beyond the story itself, before he gets to the scares. It also makes those scares even better as they don't just come out of nowhere. They're often an organic extension of the story or characters.

If you haven't seen his full length Doctor Sleep adaptation, I highly recommend you do. I never thought I'd enjoy it as much as I did. But I ended up buying the director's cut so I could get more of the story.
Well, the
Spoiler:
car scare scene when the ghost lunges up from the back seat sure as hell came out of nowhere!
!!
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I haven't gotten to that one yet. But hopefully it just isn't there for the sake of being there and has a good reason for being included.
He won. Period.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

hepcat wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:46 pm I haven't gotten to that one yet. But hopefully it just isn't there for the sake of being there and has a good reason for being included.
I think hyena is referencing a scene at the end of the first episode.
Spoiler:
The Usher patriarch is getting into his car after the funeral and is scared by a ghost that kind of looked like a green jester to me in the split second it was on screen. Roderick falls backward with a nose bleed and the episode ends with him staring at the raven.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

msteelers wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:50 pm
hepcat wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:46 pm I haven't gotten to that one yet. But hopefully it just isn't there for the sake of being there and has a good reason for being included.
Spoiler:
The Usher patriarch is getting into his car after the funeral and is scared by a ghost that kind of looked like a green jester to me in the split second it was on screen. Roderick falls backward with a nose bleed and the episode ends with him staring at the raven.
Actually I was referring to one of the other shows of his, I think it was The Haunting of Hill House or whatever that one was.

Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Spoiler:
Actually I was referring to one of the other shows of his, I think it was The Haunting of Hill House or whatever that one was.

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I realized I hadn't updated my opinions after finishing the series. I thought it was brilliant, perhaps my favorite thing Mike Flanagan has ever done. The way the Poe references were weaved in and modernized was extremely well done, the acting was superb, the writing was superb. I really have no criticisms at all.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Spoiler:
Yeah, it does have some jump scares. But they feel earned, to me. The wraparound scenes with
Spoiler:
the father in which the ghosts of his children sometimes appear suddenly, or just slightly fuzzy and in the background could be considered jump scares too, but they come across as part of the story to me.
He won. Period.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Hyena wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:54 pm
Spoiler:
:lol:
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

hepcat wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:58 pm
Spoiler:
Yeah, it does have some jump scares. But they feel earned, to me. The wraparound scenes with
Spoiler:
the father in which the ghosts of his children sometimes appear suddenly, or just slightly fuzzy and in the background could be considered jump scares too, but they come across as part of the story to me.
I get that. I just thought that the car scene that hyena was (not) referencing stood out as an example where it wasn't really earned at all.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I honestly don't remember that scene. I'll have to go back and see if i can find it.
He won. Period.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

the jester was Hop-Frog, i'm thinking.

the only amusing part of this show was picking out the Poe references scattered around. i wonder how they'll incorporate "The Gold Bug"...
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Oh, I don't know
Spoiler:
the sight of Carla Gugino eventually being revealed as a chimpanzee and the subsequent scene of the bloody corpse of her victim while the chimp sat there and just smiled in that weird, unsettling manner was entertaining....creepily entertaining, of course.
And again, I will point out that Doctor Sleep had NO right to be as entertaining as it was. I give credit to Flanagan's ability to create great characters and put them in interesting situations instead of just going for a kill count or whatever.
He won. Period.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

hitbyambulance wrote:the jester was Hop-Frog, i'm thinking.

the only amusing part of this show was picking out the Poe references scattered around. i wonder how they'll incorporate "The Gold Bug"...
Outside of the raven and the masque of the red death I’m not very educated on Poe’s writings. I still found the first two episodes enjoyable, but they also happened to reference both of those stories.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

hepcat wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:21 pm Oh, I don't know
Spoiler:
the sight of Carla Gugino eventually being revealed as a chimpanzee and the subsequent scene of the bloody corpse of her victim while the chimp sat there and just smiled in that weird, unsettling manner was entertaining....creepily entertaining, of course.
And again, I will point out that Doctor Sleep had NO right to be as entertaining as it was. I give credit to Flanagan's ability to create great characters and put them in interesting situations instead of just going for a kill count or whatever.
Damn. That soubds SUPER familiar for some reason but i cant place it. The only thing i recall is that is was a scene in a movie or show that took place on a fake tv show.
Great. Now I'll be awake trying to remember whete its from.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

We watched episodes 3 and 4 last night.
Spoiler:
I think Camille was my favorite of the children, so it was a bummer that they killed her first. Napoleon was probably my next favorite, and he died the next episode. :lol:
While we're blitzing through the show pretty quickly, I can't say this show has me hooked yet. It's extremely well-acted, which is probably the main thing keeping my interest at this point. I can't tell if I like the writing or not. The dialogue is great, but sometimes the writing is so good it takes me out of the moment because there's no way anyone would actually say that. And the plot for each individual episode is pretty meh, but the central mystery of the show is intriguing enough and the atmosphere is off the charts.

Maybe my expectations were just too high. I really liked The Haunting of Hill House.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

What I found interesting was the actor who played Roderick and Madeline’s boss in the 70s flashbacks. He was fantastic at being completely and utterly vile and horrible….until the end of the vile and horrible bits when he’d turn on the charm and make you think he was actually your friend. The actor just knocked it out of the park for that role.

Also, YK is right. Mark Hamill is a damn national treasure.
He won. Period.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

I always confuse this story with Robert Louis Stevenson's "Kidnapped" in my mind. Definitely want to watch this one.
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

We finished this last night. I enjoyed the last couple of episodes more than the middle ones and was pretty happy with how they tied up the various plot lines.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Got a little too preachy at the end, and the Poe quotes felt a bit forced at times, but I enjoyed it all the same. Loved the ghoulish ending.
He won. Period.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Gotta get back to Texas to watch this.
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

YellowKing wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:54 pm I realized I hadn't updated my opinions after finishing the series. I thought it was brilliant, perhaps my favorite thing Mike Flanagan has ever done. The way the Poe references were weaved in and modernized was extremely well done, the acting was superb, the writing was superb. I really have no criticisms at all.
Ooh, high praise.

Will check out.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Wrapped the season up today, and while this isn't my normal type a show, it was interesting. Mark Hamil was great.

I enjoyed the line when the Raven character was offering the deal to Rodrick and Madeline about having no consequences. Like walking on 5th and Broadway and shooting someone and getting away with it. Awfully familiar...
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"