Permanent Holiday Lights for any holiday

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Permanent Holiday Lights for any holiday

Post by Daehawk »

Well new to me and I love this idea.

Edit: Heres some other lights by other companies.

I intentionally forwarded this one this this point. Skips all the nonsense and screaming kids.

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
em2nought

Re: Permanent Holiday Lights for any holiday

Post by em2nought »

Having an idea of the condition of your ladder, I'd rather just decorate the Christmas Ficus. :csmile:

Enlarge Image
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO
Formix

Post by Formix »

I installed the Govee lights right before Thanksgiving. So far, so good. I even got a compliment on them from a neighbor, which is a first. I wish there were more options for Christmas, but I'm about to dive into creating my own, so we'll see how easy that is.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Green and red ...its a no brainer.

:ninja: Sometime late at night have them flashing blue/red or blue/white and turn on a siren.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Our subdivision levies fines if lights are left up too long.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Jeff V wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 7:43 am Our subdivision levies fines if lights are left up too long.
One of 'those' places huh..tell ya how and what to do with your own home. Must be fun...not :) Ive always seen them as the stereotypical mini dictators taking out their real life shortcomings with their power mad attitude and ability to write stuff down on paper :)

Apologies to any home owner committee members here :) Never been nor will ever be by my own choice (big lotto win not withstanding) a member of one of those.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Jeff V wrote:Our subdivision levies fines if lights are left up too long.
These are essentially invisible when they're off as they're flat and stick under the eaves. I think our HOA would let us get away with it.

I seriously considered them this year, but it was too much out of pocket costs along with the rest of an already expensive Christmas. We're going to budget for them next year. I always put up lights at both Halloween and Christmas, so this would be a big timesaver.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I can’t wait to see how permanent these actually are. I assume they’re just more rugged like commercial lights?

I’ve been using ‘permanent’ ones on my two big hollies that I keep in Christmas tree shape.

Meaning I don’t remove the lights after Christmas. I don’t turn them on, but this will be the third year that they’ve stayed on the tree…I’m guessing they will die this season, as we get both very high humidity and heat, for a very long summer season, but also well below freezing and ice/snow (sometimes). Wreaks havoc on outdoor anything, really.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

I usually spray some latex paint on anything plastic that stays outside. Haven't ever thought about clear plastic though, I wonder if a coating of polyurethane or shellac would protect clear plastic from becoming brittle in a like fashion?

I guess home depot has a product to protect your gnomes :lol: https://www.homedepot.com/p/HOMESTYLES- ... /307781429

Enlarge Image
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Takes something away from it all though, doesn't it?
I mean, it's great for what it is selling, and, I'm not blaming/shameing anyone for doing it...

But, when the neighbor's yard suddenly is all decked out in lights, part of the magic is knowing what went into it. If, instead, year-after-year he flicks a switch and -poof- the same old lights go on... well, just a little less magic.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Unagi wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:05 pm Takes something away from it all though, doesn't it?
I mean, it's great for what it is selling, and, I'm not blaming/shameing anyone for doing it...

But, when the neighbor's yard suddenly is all decked out in lights, part of the magic is knowing what went into it. If, instead, year-after-year he flicks a switch and -poof- the same old lights go on... well, just a little less magic.
Soon.....one of us....one of us.........
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Unagi wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:05 pm Takes something away from it all though, doesn't it?

I, too, appreciate the hard work of the neighbors and would be quite out if they find an easier way to do things.
And I don't say that sarcastically. Seeing everyone out putting up decorations is heartening.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

By the way, we did our neighborhood tree lighting last night. It still amazes me (in a good way) that we get several hundred people out to flip a switch on a tree.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:56 am

I, too, appreciate the hard work of the neighbors and would be quite out if they find an easier way to do things.
And I don't say that sarcastically. Seeing everyone out putting up decorations is heartening.
I can’t tell.
I mean you say it’s not sarcastic. Internet rule is that I have to accept that.

But I’m not really ‘quite out’ because they find an easier way: I’m just much less ‘oh wow, look at that’
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

As one of the few people in the neighborhood that actually busts their tail to put out lights every year, I'm all for finding an easier way. I don't really give a crap what level of effort the neighbors think I did or did not do. I'm the one doing the work. :lol:
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Look, everyone has their own duty in this war on Christmas.
I’m just happy it’s being fought.
:twisted:
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

YellowKing wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:30 am As one of the few people in the neighborhood that actually busts their tail to put out lights every year, I'm all for finding an easier way. I don't really give a crap what level of effort the neighbors think I did or did not do. I'm the one doing the work. :lol:
Right. Because no one lights up their house to impress the neighbors.
That’s just totally not a thing.
raydude

Post by raydude »

Townhome owner in an HOA community. We have nice big windows facing the street, so our contribution is a nice well lit Christmas tree in the window and lights on the stair railings leading up to the front door that we put up after Thanksgiving and take down after New Years. It's enough to get us compliments and that's fine with me. Happy Holidays!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Unagi wrote:Right. Because no one lights up their house to impress the neighbors.
I'm not saying that decorating for others is not a thing, just that the level of effort other people think I put into it is not a factor in my decorating. I don't care if they think I spent 10 hours or 1 hour. I'm just putting lights out for the kids to enjoy.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

YellowKing wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:30 am As one of the few people in the neighborhood that actually busts their tail to put out lights every year, I'm all for finding an easier way. I don't really give a crap what level of effort the neighbors think I did or did not do. I'm the one doing the work. :lol:
Ditto. 1,000x this.

If I could just flip a switch and boom- Christmas wonderland/Halloween Spookytown every year? Yes. Please.

I usually go through the hassle every (most) year because:
70% for my wife and kids who like it
20% bc I like it (AFTER it’s done)
10% so visitors/friends/neighbors can enjoy it
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Underground boxes to contain the inflatables...
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Think of it as a safety issue. You get up on a ladder to do it once instead of getting up on a ladder every year doing the same thing for 10 years or more.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

I personally am OK with the same lights every year. I just like the lights.
I just basially hang them up the same way every time anyways. And I do it bcuase I freaking love chritmas lights.

THEY'RE SO TWINKLY I'M GONNA DIE!!

some permannt lights would be nice. I can't reach the eaves, and a taller ladder would scare the baby jesus right out of me.
If I could get some in LED with a color change option so I can light up for different holidays, that would be perfect.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Every era seems to have it's own Christmas colors, be it for lights or regular decorations. Right now the trendy color seems to be aqua and lime green. It makes me want to claw my eyes out.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Dad always loved putting up the outdoor Christmas lights. Even in old age he would get out there and do it. It wasn't Christmas until dad put up the lights. The year he died that Christmas just wasn't the same without him and his lights.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:02 pm Dad always loved putting up the outdoor Christmas lights. Even in old age he would get out there and do it. It wasn't Christmas until dad put up the lights. The year he died that Christmas just wasn't the same without him and his lights.
My brother was our "BIG" Christmas guy, :csmile: Christmas for my family mostly died with him.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

My wife inquired with a local company that does lights for you. The quote was $650. A neighbor did that a few years ago, and was fined by the HOA because they did not come to remove them until March. Still, other neighbors are using such companies.

Still never finished putting up outside lights. Might get a few more strings up before Xmas.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

If I was going to do and had the money to do it with..Id want it the way I want it not someone else's idea of lights.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:41 pm If I was going to do and had the money to do it with..Id want it the way I want it not someone else's idea of lights.
I live on a street that people travel to see the lights. I just can't afford/lack the energy and will to compete. If we hadn't spent so much money on vacations this year, outsourcing would have been an attractive option.
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

One of my favorite Holiday lights are the Twinkly programmable LEDs (they were my Christmas upgrade purchase last yer):

I went with the 400 light option (we don't have room for a tree much more than 6ft and that turned out just about right for a 6ft-ish tree). One thing I noticed this second year, is that because the 400 light string is actually 2 strings from the core plug, I'll need to coil each string separately to make for easier untangling next year.

It's really cool tho. I even created a UCLA-themed light pattern I can switch to when it's Bowl or basketball day! I also have a cool "snow-falling" light animation which slowly starts white lights at the top of the tree and slowly falls down the tree before starting over again.

Image of UCLA lights (lights change from bottom left to top right in the program)

Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

The last time we decorated our house was about 30 years ago. My MIL was living with us temporarily because her husband had just died and her kids didn't know what to do with her, but she couldn't be left alone. Because she was insane, she was a hot potato that nobody wanted. Wife decreed that she was coming to our house and if I didn't like it I could go pound sand. Which I almost did, because fuck that. Anyway, MIL so thoroughly poisoned xmas that Wife never wanted another tree after that unhappy year. That was fine with me. Buried somewhere deep under our mountain of forgotten boxes in the cellar are the xmas decorations that haven't seen daylight since then, because now they only bring up unhappy memories.

My MIL was really, really good at setting her children against one another and sewing misery in anyone who got too close to her. It was really her only talent.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Makes me glad my MiL and I don't speak the same language, so we never had a fight. I kind of sorta communicate with her, but not conversationally.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

The funny thing about my MIL is that people who only knew her casually thought she was just a daffy but sweet old lady. She behaved herself amongst strangers. Her bile was directed exclusively at those who were supposed to love her.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Kraken wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:55 pm The funny thing about my MIL is that people who only knew her casually thought she was just a daffy but sweet old lady. She behaved herself amongst strangers. Her bile was directed exclusively at those who were supposed to love her.
Fuck mils. Reboot your Christmas fun and lights. get new stuff and make it your own little thing. Hell with everybody else lol.

Me, I put up our lighted bear tree as usual but I stuck a galaxy light in the window with it so theres moving green and red light twinkling all about that window space.. It nice and no effort. And didn't have to fool with window candles. I miss them but haven't messed with them in 20 years. Im not sure fake colored Christmas candles in windows are still a thing now even.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 12:37 am
Kraken wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:55 pm The funny thing about my MIL is that people who only knew her casually thought she was just a daffy but sweet old lady. She behaved herself amongst strangers. Her bile was directed exclusively at those who were supposed to love her.
Fuck mils. Reboot your Christmas fun and lights. get new stuff and make it your own little thing. Hell with everybody else lol.

Me, I put up our lighted bear tree as usual but I stuck a galaxy light in the window with it so theres moving green and red light twinkling all about that window space.. It nice and no effort. And didn't have to fool with window candles. I miss them but haven't messed with them in 20 years. Im not sure fake colored Christmas candles in windows are still a thing now even.
Working in malls for a lot of years gave me a special hatred of xmas that lingers to this day. Retail workers see the absolute worst of the holiday spirit. I only ever went along with it grudgingly so I was happy when Wife deep-sixed decorating. We don't have kids, our families and friends are all long-distance, and we aren't Christians, so xmas has a weak hold over us.

In recent years I've worked to rein in my personal war on xmas. I discovered the pleasure of giving the people close to me gifts that they genuinely like. When my nephews and niece were little kids I used to send lobsters to their parents, so that became a big event. It ended when my sister divorced and the kids got old enough to strike out in their own directions. But now they all live near one another again so I've started sending lobsters again. My sister isn't there to enjoy it but her kids are now introducing a new generation to xmas lobsters. This was year 2 of the rebooted lobster dinner tradition. Their pics and videos of xmas dinner that I put on the table make me really happy.

I had to get old before I understood that "it's better to give than to receive." But that only applies to a small number of people. I still hate giving obligatory gifts to near-strangers or people that I dislike, so I don't do that.