Data migration software old SSD to New SSD

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

I need to migrate software from an old SSD on to a new much larger SSD. The new SSD is installed but the transfer never happened [person who was doing it is not available anymore].

How do I do this? I was recommended the software Ease US Disk copy [https://www.ashampoo.com/en-us/easeus-disk-copy]. Is this reliable? Is there something better out there? The new SSD will need to include the new operating system as well. Is there an easier way to do this? If the transfer screws up, can I revert back to my old SSD?

My expertise at this level is poor. I am hoping to find something that's pretty simple to use and well idiot proof. I need this as seamless as possible.
Much obliged.
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
LordMortis

Re: Data migration software old SSD to New SSD

Post by LordMortis »

Newcastle wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:27 am If the transfer screws up, can I revert back to my old SSD?
It should

We used to use Acronis, but I haven't done anything but clean installs for over a decade, physical server and workstation. Little things just seem to annoy me and the fear of problems lingered.

Apparently, it's been so long since I've used Aronis, it's become SaaS.

https://www.acronis.com/en-us/products/true-image/

https://www.acronis.com/en-us/products/ ... e/cloning/
Newcastle

Re: Data migration software old SSD to New SSD

Post by Newcastle »

Thank you Lord Mortis. I will probably go that route. Will look into it with more granular detail. I am not pressed for time on this, but would like to get it done.
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I usually install the new SSD while leaving the old SSD, format the new SSD then copy the files over as administrator. Then I’ll switch the cables and drive letters so the new SSD loads in place of the old. I won’t format the old SSD until I know everything is working fine. All through Windows/Samsung Magician (free).
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon