replace all hardware - windows problem?

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jaymon

replace all hardware - windows problem?

Post by Jaymon »

Hello hivemind. I have a windows 10 machine I want to upgrade. The more I look at it, well , basically everything has to go.

In your opinion, how is MS going to react if I try to reactivate win 10 on all new hardware?
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Jaymon

Re: replace all hardware - windows problem?

Post by Jaymon »

well I found the informtion, but I don't like it.

First, link my product key to my windows account.

then install windows on new hardware

then use the product key

then run the activation troubleshooter and mention "new hardware"

hopefully that works, but its windows 10 and I might have to call customer service

this machine is not going to be mine, so I don't want to link it to a windows account.
those $20 OEM keys from sketchy sites are starting to sound a lot better.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I've recently done some reading around this issue for my own problems, and one thing I saw was, if you are trying to KEEP Win 10 and your machine technically qualifies for Win 11, you may want to turn off automatic updates. That sounds extreme, though. I wonder if they meant "if you already "upgraded" your Win 10 license key to Win 11, and then you try to go BACK to Win 10 using that key, it's automatically going to try to move you to 11." :think:

And now that I've only added complexity and doubt to your issue, my job here is done.

I bid you adieu!
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

that does make me wonder. if I upgrade a 10 machine to 11 would that free up the 10 liscence to be used in another machine?

hmm, sounds like circle logic to me. and as everybody knows, computers only use square logic
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Jaymon wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:08 pm that does make me wonder. if I upgrade a 10 machine to 11 would that free up the 10 liscence to be used in another machine?
No, pretty sure it does not.

But Windows 10 is free for download now anyway, from MS, and there is no compelling reason to activate it, even if you did run into licensing issues.
naednek

Post by naednek »

https://www.techspot.com/news/100809-de ... ro-or.html

Windows 11 Home or Pro for $24. Doesn't seem to be OEM and that it's a legit site.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

Thanks everybody. I as looking at upgrading an older machine, but after some review, it was just too old. I mean, It needs more ram, which for this machine also means a new motherboard, so that also means a new processor. And the drive is getting mighty old and tiny, so might as well get an SSD they are big and cheap now. I have a video card already, but it looks like this power supply can't handle it, so that needs an upgrade.

And you know what, I am better off just getting a barebones with OEM than trying to "upgrade", becuase it seems like I am building the whole damn thing anyways.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Jaymon wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:09 pm Thanks everybody. I as looking at upgrading an older machine, but after some review, it was just too old. I mean, It needs more ram, which for this machine also means a new motherboard, so that also means a new processor. And the drive is getting mighty old and tiny, so might as well get an SSD they are big and cheap now. I have a video card already, but it looks like this power supply can't handle it, so that needs an upgrade.

And you know what, I am better off just getting a barebones with OEM than trying to "upgrade", becuase it seems like I am building the whole damn thing anyways.
The PC of Theseus