2023 Republican House Follies

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Holman

Re: 2023 Republican House Follies

Post by Holman »

Gaetz will be out soon. He's a chaos monster clearly out for his own brand at the expense of everything else. Aside from a few arch-MAGA weirdos, everyone in the House hates him and considers him a dangerous liability. He thinks he's Ted Cruz, but he's really only Madison Cawthorn.

Gaetz is currently under consideration by the Ethics committee. When their report is released, there's a good chance he'll be expelled by bipartisan majorities. This is no risk to the GOP since his district is totally safe.

Meanwhile, word on the street is that he's planning to run for Florida governor.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Apparently the ridiculous situation in the House is impacting our response to the terrorist attacks in Israel. Several Democratic leaders were out in the press wondering why the Republicans aren't calling Congress back immediately. There was apparently a mad scramble to figure out if McHenry could be briefed as part of the Gang of 8. Obviously Biden and the administration are the point team but it's insane that part of a branch of our government is out of commission, a crisis has emerged, and everyone is looking at each other wondering why they aren't trying to get something going.
malchior

Post by malchior »

So they've ... not rallied around Scalise. I say not rallied because it seems he doesn't have close to enough votes in the Republican caucus. At least yet. He apparently slight edged Jordan in a secret ballot and Scalise already has declared hold outs that mean he can't win the Speakership vote. They've announced a vote at 3 PM today but...chance of that happening is low.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

So you're saying George Santos still has a chance at being Speaker?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
naednek

Post by naednek »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 2:06 pm So you're saying George Santos still has a chance at being Speaker?
he's too busy learning about his new charges
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It was kind of nice for him to check and see if the reporter who almost fell was okay though.
Now depoliticized.
malchior

Post by malchior »

It's hilarious he is pretending he didn't know about the additional charges. He might not have known it happened at that moment but his lawyers almost certainly told him it was happening. Such a fraud.

Edit: Also breaking news - no Speaker vote this afternoon. The GOP are clowns.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

malchior wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 2:38 pm Edit: Also breaking news - no Speaker vote this afternoon. The GOP are clowns.
At least there are no national or international incidents happening at present that would benefit from House attention/assistance.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Ken Buck appeared on MSNBC and he said he was withholding his votes from Scalise and Jordan waiting for 3 answers. Would they say out loud that 2020 wasn't stolen? What is the budget number they are seeking? And would they commit to putting a Ukraine aid bill on the floor so that moderates on both sides could vote it through? That sounds like almost normal behavior.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Negotiating with terrorists always works out.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

malchior wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 3:26 pm Ken Buck appeared on MSNBC and he said he was withholding his votes from Scalise and Jordan waiting for 3 answers. Would they say out loud that 2020 wasn't stolen? What is the budget number they are seeking? And would they commit to putting a Ukraine aid bill on the floor so that moderates on both sides could vote it through? That sounds like almost normal behavior.
I know someone who meets all three questions.

Enlarge Image
Black Lives Matter.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

malchior wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 3:26 pm Ken Buck appeared on MSNBC and he said he was withholding his votes from Scalise and Jordan waiting for 3 answers. Would they say out loud that 2020 wasn't stolen? What is the budget number they are seeking? And would they commit to putting a Ukraine aid bill on the floor so that moderates on both sides could vote it through? That sounds like almost normal behavior.
Don't be fooled. Buck represents Weld county, and has quite the history. Antivaxxer, voted against the pandemic relief bill, multiple scandals & ethics violations. Fits in just fine.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Ken Buck knows he has to toe a fine line. He represents the reddest district in Colorado that's mostly rural areas (area-wise it's absolutely massive, it's like a 3rd of the state). But it also touches on some suburbs that are nowhere near as Republican, and the population is growing - you guessed it - in these suburbs, not in the middle of nowhere in some corn field by the Kansas border. So as long as doesn't piss off both sides at once, he's in a very comfortable position where he is at no risk of losing to a Democrat in the general election, but he's also unlikely to lose in the primary for not being right-wing enough (since there are enough moderates and Democrats in the district to counteract it). By Colorado standards, he's always been a right-wing nutcase, but these days it's getting harder and harder to tell.
Last edited by gilraen on Wed Oct 11, 2023 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Sure. I'm not looking to cast him as a "moderate" Republican. Just more that "his demands" or at least the public ones are substantive.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Every opportunity I get to vote against Ken Buck, I do so.

—this Weld County resident
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Next we'll see if he'll beat McCarthy's record.
malchior

Post by malchior »

At this point he might not lose a single Speakership vote unless the GOP can sort their crazy caucus.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

malchior wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:22 pm At this point he might not lose a single Speakership vote unless the GOP can sort their crazy caucus.
Yeah, I'm genuinely unsure how we get to a successful speaker vote for anyone. Will we have a Speaker in place before government funding runs out mid-November?
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Who knows! Legislative chaos reigns. America 2023.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Late word this evening is that the Republicans are deadlocked. Despite Jordan throwing in with Scalise. Apparently there are a larger group of rebels that won't vote for existing leaders and another group that won't vote for Jordan. Consequently, they are now approaching the Democrats to make deals. Maybe this gets interesting.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

malchior wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:00 pm Late word this evening is that the Republicans are deadlocked. Despite Jordan throwing in with Scalise. Apparently there are a larger group of rebels that won't vote for existing leaders and another group that won't vote for Jordan. Consequently, they are now approaching the Democrats to make deals. Maybe this gets interesting.
I mean, given that they can't lose more than what, five Republicans if they're going to elect a speaker with no democratic votes, that seems almost impossible. The potential breakthroughs seem:

(1) One faction (probably the MAGAs) borderline surrenders and votes for (probably) Scalise;
(2) Trump genuinely enters the Speaker race;
(3) a deal is made with at least some faction of democratic reps.

Three doesn't seem insane? We'll see.
Black Lives Matter.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I cannot imagine anyone WANTING that booby-trapped-laden, doomed position, honestly. You might say "well, most politicos are attention whores, and it feeds their egos to be in the limelight". I could buy that except that this particular job, the way it is currently set up, is never going to let you look good...ever. Unless they change the silly rules that they themselves made, we are probably only going to get the worst of the worst even "applying" for it.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Republicans apparently hate each other as much as they do democrats.
Now depoliticized.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Can't help but wonder how much of this is appeasing Trump by coalescing behind Jordan.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Jordan already dropped out. Did he drop back in?
Victoria Raverna

Maybe Trump is the only one that can win the gavel. None of them dare to vote against Trump if Trump want to be the speaker.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:48 pm Jordan already dropped out. Did he drop back in?
I didn't think he dropped out, just said he would support Scalise if necessary. Might be wrong though.

Maybe McCarthy will change his mind and try again? (which would be the funniest outcome ever)
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

https://bsky.app/profile/joshuajfriedma ... lwqx6w2x25

“Absolutely not,” said Rep. Ann Wagner (R-MO), a Scalise ally, when I asked if she will support Jordan for speaker. “Yesterday in conference, he gave the most disgraceful, ungracious — I can’t call it a concession speech — of all time. There were gasps in the room.” — Olivia Beavers, Politico

…yes, still have Bluesky invites for anyone here looking to leave the Hellsite.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:48 pm Jordan already dropped out. Did he drop back in?
McHenry just wants to make sure he gets a chance to play Whack-a-Mole before he loses the gavel.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:51 pm Maybe Trump is the only one that can win the gavel. None of them dare to vote against Trump if Trump want to be the speaker.
Trump has lost nearly every election and endorsement that he's backed since he got lucky in 2016 and is the main reason the GOP's current majority is as tiny as it is. Jordan was his boy, and how did that work out? Trump is absolutely not their savior and all but a handful of Republican politicians know it.

It looks to me like someone's going to have to cut a deal for some Democratic votes to sideline the MAGA wing because right now the GOP is a circular firing squad.
Victoria Raverna

Kraken wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 11:36 pm
Victoria Raverna wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:51 pm Maybe Trump is the only one that can win the gavel. None of them dare to vote against Trump if Trump want to be the speaker.
Trump has lost nearly every election and endorsement that he's backed since he got lucky in 2016 and is the main reason the GOP's current majority is as tiny as it is. Jordan was his boy, and how did that work out? Trump is absolutely not their savior and all but a handful of Republican politicians know it.

It looks to me like someone's going to have to cut a deal for some Democratic votes to sideline the MAGA wing because right now the GOP is a circular firing squad.
Remember this?

If Trump want to be the speaker, is there any House Republican member dare to vote against him?

Voting against Jordan in a secret ballot is not the same as voting in public against Trump.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Looks like they will try their best to slam in Gym Jordan. That should make things run better. :P
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
malchior

Post by malchior »

I don't think Jordan has any more votes than Scalise did. They're just spinning tires.

Edit: Confirmed - there is reporting that when the Conference was asked if they'd vote for Jordan on the floor it was 152 yes, 55 no, and 1 present (probably Buck again). We're going into week 2 in chaos. I thought it'd be dysfunctional but this is something else.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

malchior wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 5:05 pm I don't think Jordan has any more votes than Scalise did. They're just spinning tires.

Edit: Confirmed - there is reporting that when the Conference was asked if they'd vote for Jordan on the floor it was 152 yes, 55 no, and 1 present (probably Buck again). We're going into week 2 in chaos. I thought it'd be dysfunctional but this is something else.
When you create a persona (real or pretend) that you're an epic douchebag (but in what they think is a cool, rebel, "FUCK ALL Y'ALL!!" kind of way), you can't expect people to like you enough to vote for you for something. Exception being the current, really bad, no good timeline.

There are plenty of fellow GOP'ers who are on the record saying they would NEVER vote for deplorable Jim Jordan. In that particular case, it seems like he really is the deplorable piece of shit that he appears to be on camera! Well done, Jim, for being a real, SINCERE twat, instead of just pretending! :clap: :clap:
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

CNBC was reporting the Jordan help campaigns against a bunch of GOP incumbents.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:29 am If Trump want to be the speaker, is there any House Republican member dare to vote against him?

Voting against Jordan in a secret ballot is not the same as voting in public against Trump.
It's a dual-stage process. Republicans have to nominate their Republican candidate, but then the whole House (Dems included) vote for the Speaker. (Dems also have to vote for their nominee, but this time it's Hakeem Jeffries with no controversy.)

If Trump were to win the GOP nomination, the eventual vote choice would threaten every GOP representative whose district is Biden-leaning or even close to purple. Right now the GOP has 221 seats where 218 is a majority. There are at least half a dozen representatives who cannot afford to vote for Trump or any other extreme MAGA Speaker.
Victoria Raverna

Now it is Jordan's turn to see if he can beat McCarthy's record.
Victoria Raverna

Holman wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 8:11 pm
Victoria Raverna wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:29 am If Trump want to be the speaker, is there any House Republican member dare to vote against him?

It's a dual-stage process. Republicans have to nominate their Republican candidate, but then the whole House (Dems included) vote for the Speaker. (Dems also have to vote for their nominee, but this time it's Hakeem Jeffries with no controversy.)

If Trump were to win the GOP nomination, the eventual vote choice would threaten every GOP representative whose district is Biden-leaning or even close to purple. Right now the GOP has 221 seats where 218 is a majority. There are at least half a dozen representatives who cannot afford to vote for Trump or any other extreme MAGA Speaker.
I think from the 15 rounds of voting to choose McCarthy, it doesn't really work that way. House members can nominate anyone they want, don't have to win the GOP nomination first.

During the 15 rounds. McCarthy got the nomination but GOP members still vote for other candidates like Jordan and Donalds,
Holman

Post by Holman »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 8:25 pm
Holman wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 8:11 pm

I think from the 15 rounds of voting to choose McCarthy, it doesn't really work that way. House members can nominate anyone they want, don't have to win the GOP nomination first.

During the 15 rounds. McCarthy got the nomination but GOP members still vote for other candidates like Jordan and Donalds,
No.

A candidate (McCarthy, say) can win the GOP's nomination with just a majority of GOP votes. Then, however, they have to win the Speakership with a majority of the entire House of Representatives.

Right now, the Republicans have a very slim majority in the overall House. Since Democrats will vote for their own nominee in the Speaker race, the Republican nominee has to get basically *every* GOP vote at that level.

If the GOP nominee is unpopular or unaccepted by a even a small faction of their own party, they can't win the Speakership.