Fast Food Foofaraw

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Re: Fast Food Foofaraw

Post by Isgrimnur »

We then top it with two slices of melty American cheese, three half strips of thick cut Applewood Smoked bacon, pickled jalapeño coins and cheddar cheese sauce—all served on a sesame seed bun.
If there were no slices, you got robbed.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

If McDonalds gets three of the five items that are supposed to be on your sandwich you're doing pretty good. :lol:
Re-electing Biden is like the Titanic backing up to hit the iceberg again!
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Speaking of McDonald's, apparently Canadian McDonald's is better than American McDonald's. Who knew!? In truth, it's likely that we're more strict with our food regulations. We don't allow hormones to be used in our food, for example, ie milk and meat, and we also use less salt and fats.

PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Rumpy wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 12:37 pm Speaking of McDonald's, apparently Canadian McDonald's is better than American McDonald's. Who knew!? In truth, it's likely that we're more strict with our food regulations. We don't allow hormones to be used in our food, for example, ie milk and meat, and we also use less salt and fats.

Here you get your recommended daily allowance of red slime. Do you get that in Canada? Perhaps you are anemic and don't realize it?
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Red slime? Do you mean what they call 'beef"?
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Rumpy wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 12:37 pm Speaking of McDonald's, apparently Canadian McDonald's is better than American McDonald's.
Thailand's McDonalds had really good spicy chicken wings at one time. Scotland's BK burgers tasted like meatloaf. :lol:
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

em2nought wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 12:30 am
Rumpy wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 12:37 pm Speaking of McDonald's, apparently Canadian McDonald's is better than American McDonald's.
Thailand's McDonalds had really good spicy chicken wings at one time. Scotland's BK burgers tasted like meatloaf. :lol:
I never met meatloaf. How do you know what he tasted like?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Rumpy wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 12:37 pm Speaking of McDonald's, apparently Canadian McDonald's is better than American McDonald's. Who knew!? In truth, it's likely that we're more strict with our food regulations. We don't allow hormones to be used in our food, for example, ie milk and meat, and we also use less salt and fats.

Youngsters never disappoint me in disappointing me. They had better stay off my lawn.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

On the other hand, American Tim Hortons apparently did better than Canadian. So, I guess it's all good? :D

PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Rumpy wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 1:40 pm On the other hand, American Tim Hortons apparently did better than Canadian. So, I guess it's all good? :D
I went to one in Manila. Their most common menu item was the same everywhere in the country -- something I wanted but was "not available."

Donuts were all chocolate -- none others available. My son settled for a plain bagel (cream cheese - not available). Everyone else had chocolate donuts. I wanted a sausage and egg biscuit, but, of course, not available.
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Their menu is different everywhere, to suit the tastes of region, so what might appear common to us might not be so common afterall.

But speaking of availability, I did encounter something similar when trying to order during dinner hours. Kept being told they were out of something whenever I made a choice, to which point I said, "OK, well, do you actually have any food?" It was more than a little ridiculous to have so many items out of stock. I can't remember what I settled for, but I remember not being terribly happy. This was in a mid-sized city, not a location in the middle of nowhere.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Actually, it seems they post a common menu board, and then just not have most of it. Seems ridiculous to me. And for something that seems likely never to have, why not put a permanent "not available" sign on the board? Shakey's did that on their menus -- but of course when I tried ordering a sausage pizza (no sticker in the menu), it was not available.

When I was last there a decade ago, we stopped at the Hooters at Mall of Asia and I was excited to see Sam Adams on the menu. The waitress told me, "the only imported beer we have is Budweiser" to which I threw the menu down in disgust, said "son of a bitch" and walked out. For the record, Sam Adams, as pedestrian as it is here, would have been the best beer I ever had (that I didn't bring) in the Philippines. That country is truly a beer desert.
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Nah, most of the time they do have most of everything. We must have hit them at a time when they were low on everything. But then again, you'd think being a restauraunt, that they would sort of expect that people would be coming in and asking for food and it wasn't even that late in the day. Some of these items were part of the current promotions, but some weren't and were standardized items normally available everywhere.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

It was 7 am, I would think the prime of breakfast rush? But there was only a couple of customers there. No, I'm pretty sure those items were permanently "not available."

The restaurant business in The Philippines is the definition of absurdity. They will never ask you for drinks. They have no concept of appetizer/main course/dessert. One place stated a 45 minute wait for the dessert we wanted, we placed the order with the apps and mains, and guess what was served first? And they will let you sit and die of old age before bringing the check...unlike restaurants here that might wish to turn over the table to a new set of paying customers.

Many years ago I vowed never to work in the restaurant industry again. Going to the Philippines makes me want to reconsider, by doing things right I could have the most profitable restaurant in the country.
Black Lives Matter
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

The Filipina Pea was in Thailand the other day raving about the Thai street food, and wishing home was as clean as Thailand.
Holman

Post by Holman »

mori wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 10:09 pm Had McDonald's Crispy Jalapeno Quarter Pounder. It was alright but wished they would of used a different cheese. They used a Cheez Whiz style product instead of sticking with the usual slice of American.
Cheez Whiz is for Philly cheesesteaks and nothing else. (Except shooting it straight into your mouth, of course.)
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 4:24 pm It was 7 am, I would think the prime of breakfast rush? But there was only a couple of customers there. No, I'm pretty sure those items were permanently "not available."

That might be part of the problem. In my experience, most fast food locations aren't really open that early and might just be starting to get their stuff ready for the day, hence the unavailability of certain stuff.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

If it was a dinner restaurant, I'd agree, but I've always considered them a breakfast joint first and foremost (to the extend I'd never consider going there for anything BUT breakfast). Their main competition in the US (I'm not aware of any in the Chicago area) would be Dunkin Donuts, and they are fully loaded, ready to rock before 6 am.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 3:09 pm When I was last there a decade ago, we stopped at the Hooters at Mall of Asia and I was excited to see Sam Adams on the menu. The waitress told me, "the only imported beer we have is Budweiser" to which I threw the menu down in disgust, said "son of a bitch" and walked out. For the record, Sam Adams, as pedestrian as it is here, would have been the best beer I ever had (that I didn't bring) in the Philippines. That country is truly a beer desert.
Start a brewery there. Sounds like a niche needs filling.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Kraken wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:41 pm Start a brewery there. Sounds like a niche needs filling.
A few months ago, I had such a conversation with the beertender at my local bottleshop. Turns out he brews his own beer, then went on..and on and on, explaining the various challenges I will face and must overcome. In the end, I think we agreed it would be better for me to just have him send a balikbayan box full of beer every month.
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

a Filipino visiting or returning to the Philippines after a period of living in another country.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Unagi wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:25 pm
a Filipino visiting or returning to the Philippines after a period of living in another country.
My wife used to be amused at my ranting at the foodservice industry there. Now that she's been here for a decade, she's appalled.

Oh, I think you were referring to my term "balikbayan box." The box in of itself is not a Filipino. It's an actual box, that can be filled with anything and shipped via ocean cargo for a relatively cheap price (around $80, regardless of weight). You just never know when it will arrive...could be a month, could be 3 months, could be more. For reference, they are about 25 times the size of what the USPS calls a "large international priority package" -- the size of a shoe box...at less than half the price. Supposedly the USPS will deliver in 6 days, but when I last sent one, it was $130 and arrived 3 months later...not good because it contained perishable items (Xmas cookies my mom had made).
Black Lives Matter
mori

Post by mori »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 10:11 pm
We then top it with two slices of melty American cheese, three half strips of thick cut Applewood Smoked bacon, pickled jalapeño coins and cheddar cheese sauce—all served on a sesame seed bun.
If there were no slices, you got robbed.
It could of been there and completely overpowered by the cheese sauce.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:23 pm If it was a dinner restaurant, I'd agree, but I've always considered them a breakfast joint first and foremost (to the extend I'd never consider going there for anything BUT breakfast). Their main competition in the US (I'm not aware of any in the Chicago area) would be Dunkin Donuts, and they are fully loaded, ready to rock before 6 am.
Breakfast is still a relatively new thing for them in the grand scheme of things, though. They only started doing breakfast in 2006, and the restauraunt has been around since the 70's. When they first started, they were simply donuts and coffee. Over time, they added lunch and dinner items including sandwhiches, and lastly breakfast items. They've kept adding things over the years to cover different market segments. But they do have great breakfast items, IMHO better than McDonalds any day, so I can see why you have Breakfast in mind when it comes to them.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Any restaurant, including - and perhaps especially - fast food, who doesn't have everything ready first thing is doing it wrong. I've worked fast food - people get there early and prep and the full menu (or breakfast menu, if it's different) is ready to go from the moment the doors open. It's not rocket science. It's part of running a restaurant that is built into the day-to-day operations.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Looks like Shaq is bringing his chicken game to Chattanooga.

Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Makes sense, we don't have enough fast food places selling chicken. I think we're working on a 1:1 ratio -- for every chicken, there's a fast food joint to sell it.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Never heard of it before now.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

I want a Bonchon from what I've heard. I hope they have coupons. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti2AelRGXnk
mori

Post by mori »

I would like a Jollibee to open near me to fulfill my fried chicken needs.

Can someone explain the popularity of Chick-fil-a to me? I honestly do not get it. I have tried their food a half dozen times over the years and have left scratching my head on their popularity.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Its delicious.
disarm

Post by disarm »

em2nought wrote:I want a Bonchon from what I've heard. I hope they have coupons. Image
There used to be a Bonchon near me, but it was only open very briefly and closed before I could go. Apparently a disgruntled employee shot one of their coworkers in the kitchen, killing them on the spot. The place didn't get a lot of business after that and closed pretty quickly.

I always heard the chicken was very good though.

gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:51 pm Its delicious.
It's extremely overrated, IMO. It's fine, I guess, but nothing to rave about.
stessier

Post by stessier »

gbasden wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 4:46 am
Daehawk wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:51 pm Its delicious.
It's extremely overrated, IMO. It's fine, I guess, but nothing to rave about.
I don't like the sandwiches because of the pickle brine they use, but the nuggets are fantastic. The big selling points to me are 1) the best app in the fast food world, 2) consistent quality, and 3) clean restaurants with friendly staff.

For point 2, I love McDonald's McNuggets when they are hot and fresh. The problem is that only happens about 20% of the time. Even bad Chick-Fil-A nuggets are pretty decent whereas bad McNuggets are barely edible.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Jeff V wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:28 pm Makes sense, we don't have enough fast food places selling chicken. I think we're working on a 1:1 ratio -- for every chicken, there's a fast food joint to sell it.
My small town of Hazel Green is growing fast with Huntsville growing also, but all the restaurants coming in are burgers! Wendy's then Culver's and now a Whataburger is being built. Dammit, I want a Popeye's or Bojangles. We have a Zaxby's but it's not my favorite, maybe I can reach out to Shaq and get his chicken in town. I'm pretty sure the Burger King will soon be ran out of business by the other burger joints so there will be a building ready to go!
Last edited by Lassr on Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

It's Culver's, not Culvert's. :D
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

stessier wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:06 am It's Culver's, not Culvert's. :D
Culver's, yes, I knew that, guess it sounds too much like the word culvert so I just added a 't' (How much they pay you to be their internet police? :P )
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Lassr wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:16 am
Culver's, yes, I knew that, guess it sounds too much like the word culvert so I just added a 't' (How much they pay you to be their internet police? :P )
I lived in WI for 4 years (which is where they started) and was happy when they started opening stores down south (since I moved back and all). It just struck me as funny that they have to work on their branding. :D
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

stessier wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:33 am
Lassr wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:16 am
I lived in WI for 4 years (which is where they started) and was happy when they started opening stores down south (since I moved back and all). It just struck me as funny that they have to work on their branding. :D
Ah, my friend was just in Wisconsin, and he went to Hazel Green Wisconsin while there, and mentioned on Culver's Facebook page that Hazel Green, AL got a Culver's before Hazel Green, WI. :lol:

Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I had a Popeye's chicken sandwich once and was greatly disappointed. Later I read that the pleasure is in their sauces, of which I didn't ask for any. :oops: