Playstation 5

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Scraper

Re: Playstation 5

Post by Scraper »

hepcat wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:58 pm
coopasonic wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:44 pm
hepcat wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:46 am I would agree with that. The ability to just ride away and come back later when you were powered up (often overpowered) was a huge help. You can do that to some extent in the other games, but not nearly at the level afforded you in Elden Ring.
It is not at all necessary with Demon's Souls if you are at all competent (I know that is tough qualifier for some). There are only two bosses that present any kind of challenge and really only one of them made me swear (and took more than 3 tries).
You finish games that take the rest of us 50 hours in like 4 though.
That's true.
FTE
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

Apparently, Sony direct has a PS5 Horizon Forbidden West bundle up for sale right now. You just need to log in with your PS id.
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

Playstation has announced that their version of the pro controller, the DualSense Edge will release January 26th. Preorders start next week, October 25th.

Enlarge Image
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Wow. $199 for a controller. That's just mind boggling to me.

I mean, I get why some may see value in what it provides, but I can't imagine dropping that much money on one.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

replaceable stick modules
The DualSense Edge wireless controller features a host of hardware and software-based personalization options, including button remapping, the ability to fine-tune stick sensitivity and triggers, options to swap between multiple control profiles, and a unique on-controller user interface.
Meh.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
disarm

Post by disarm »

This is a total ripoff of Microsoft's Elite controller concept. It has pretty much the exact features of the MS Elite Controller 2....adjustable stick tension, swappable sticks, back buttons, multiple programmable profiles. Every one of these features, right down to a similarly styled case with the ability to charge the controller while in the case, is included on the MS controller that has been available for quite a while. I guess Sony has seen the popularity of these for MS and decided to jump on the bandwagon.

As for whether these 'elite' controllers are worth the money or not, I guess it's really up to the individual. I've been using a Xbox Elite controller for several years and would say it is a substantial step up from the standard controller. I don't even take advantage of the optional back buttons, but the overall feel of the controller is so much nicer than the standard that I don't regret spending the money at all. In fact, my son broke my original Elite controller last week and I was so disappointed going back to the regular controller that I immediately dropped the money for a new Elite 2 ($153 thanks to Amazon sale). It's a little extravagance that I splurged on a few years ago and now I'm too spoiled to go back.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Several years of use amortized the cost out nicely.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

disarm wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:20 pm This is a total ripoff of Microsoft's Elite controller concept. It has pretty much the exact features of the MS Elite Controller 2....adjustable stick tension, swappable sticks, back buttons, multiple programmable profiles. Every one of these features, right down to a similarly styled case with the ability to charge the controller while in the case, is included on the MS controller that has been available for quite a while. I guess Sony has seen the popularity of these for MS and decided to jump on the bandwagon.

As for whether these 'elite' controllers are worth the money or not, I guess it's really up to the individual. I've been using a Xbox Elite controller for several years and would say it is a substantial step up from the standard controller. I don't even take advantage of the optional back buttons, but the overall feel of the controller is so much nicer than the standard that I don't regret spending the money at all. In fact, my son broke my original Elite controller last week and I was so disappointed going back to the regular controller that I immediately dropped the money for a new Elite 2 ($153 thanks to Amazon sale). It's a little extravagance that I splurged on a few years ago and now I'm too spoiled to go back.
Microsoft's Elite controller doesn't have replaceable stick modules so this is more than what MS offered with their elite controller.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:26 am Several years of use amortized the cost out nicely.
If it can last that long. MS Elite 2 has quality and durability issues. Can Sony do better than that?
disarm

Post by disarm »

It seems like these "replaceable stick modules" are a way to spend $20 to replace the sticks when they wear out/quit working. Maybe Sony doesn't have a lot of faith in the durability of their product, or are trying to avoid the bad PR of having to buy a whole new $200 controller if the sticks misbehave?

From the official PlayStation Blog...

"Replaceable stick modules: Play longer with the ability to fully replace each individual stick module on the controller (replacement stick modules will be sold separately)."
disarm

Post by disarm »

I started randomly checking a few sites for PS5 availability at the beginning of the week and didn't have much luck, but I did find the option to "Request an Invitation" to buy from Amazon. I put in a request for both the GoW bundle and standard disc edition on Monday, was granted an invitation for the GoW bundle the next day, and my PS5 was delivered this afternoon. I don't know if that was random luck, or if I'm somehow in Amazon's good graces to get the invite, but I'm grateful either way!

I've only had enough time so far to get it connected, updated, and spend about 20 minutes in Astro's Playroom. That's definitely a cool showcase of the DualSense controller capabilities, but I'm not expecting those features to be used all that much. The PS3 and PS4 controllers both tried to add features along the way that were never really picked up by developers (motion sense, touch pad, speaker/mic), so time will tell...

I think the most significant impression so far is "damn, this thing is huge." My Xbox Series X seems tiny by comparison, and I can't help but wonder why Sony didn't put more effort into making it smaller. Thanks to backward compatibility with the PS4 though, I can get rid of my old PS4 Pro, making room to put the PS5 horizontally on a shelf of my TV stand. The PS5 is absolutely massive though... laughed a little when I pulled it out of the box and sat it next to the Series X and PS4 Pro.
Last edited by disarm on Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

disarm wrote:The PS3 and PS4 controllers both tried to add features along the way that were never really picked up by developers (motion sense, touch pad, speaker/mic), so time will tell...
Controller speaker/mic is used quite a bit from my experience. Well, not mic so much unless you're playing multiplayer, but speaker for sure. I've also seen quite a lot of use of the variable resistance triggers.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

More than a few games have used the triggers. Some more successfully than others. If a game comes out on Xbox and PS5 having support for the triggers is my tiebreaker. (1st world problems) :lol:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Out of nowhere I got an order in at Walmart for a system. With Christmas coming I thought I had no shot, but it's not an exact science.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Super annoying issue came up this weekend. Looks like if you continually use rest mode, there may come a time when none of your games will even start until you reboot the PS5. I was trying to pick up my game of Ghost of Tsushima where I'd left off the day before....only to be presented with the splash screen. I then tried a few other games with the same results. I looked online for info and came across other people with the issue. The easiest fix is to just reboot (at least for me).

Still, I never had this problem my Xbox Series X.
Covfefe!
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

hepcat wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:49 am Super annoying issue came up this weekend. Looks like if you continually use rest mode, there may come a time when none of your games will even start until you reboot the PS5. I was trying to pick up my game of Ghost of Tsushima where I'd left off the day before....only to be presented with the splash screen. I then tried a few other games with the same results. I looked online for info and came across other people with the issue. The easiest fix is to just reboot (at least for me).

I've had the PS5 since launch and I've never had that problem.
FTE
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Scraper wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:13 pm
hepcat wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:49 am Super annoying issue came up this weekend. Looks like if you continually use rest mode, there may come a time when none of your games will even start until you reboot the PS5. I was trying to pick up my game of Ghost of Tsushima where I'd left off the day before....only to be presented with the splash screen. I then tried a few other games with the same results. I looked online for info and came across other people with the issue. The easiest fix is to just reboot (at least for me).

I've had the PS5 since launch and I've never had that problem.
I've only have my PS5 for ~20 months but also never had any similar issue and I use Rest Mode exclusively.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

hepcat wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:49 am Super annoying issue came up this weekend. Looks like if you continually use rest mode, there may come a time when none of your games will even start until you reboot the PS5.
It's obviously enough of an issue for some that I had no trouble finding web pages dedicated to helping folks who have the issue. It may also not be a rest mode issue. Some sites note it may be related to a caching issue. Finally, it could be something related to a recent update to the PS5. I've only had my ps5 for a few weeks now.
Covfefe!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I believe I've had that happen once. And a couple of times I've had an issue where it wouldn't come out of rest mode properly. But we're talking 3 incidents out of hundreds of hours, so it certainly hasn't been problematic enough to give me any concern. In all cases a simple reboot or unplug, plug back in fixed it.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I know it's been mentioned a couple times, but I wanted to give another plug for Astro's Playroom (the pack-in game for PS5). Not only is it a fantastic showcase for all the really cool things the PS5 controller can do, it's also a very fun game in it's own right. And it's a really awesome slice of PlayStation history. I fired it up on a whim last night and couldn't put it down.

Only takes a couple hours to finish, with the option of going back to chase collectables or do speed runs (neither of which hold any interest for me).
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

There's a gatcha machine to get the missing collectibles.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Got my PS5 today, installing the update. It came with a GoW Ranarok voucher so I can start playing that. My son is coming home for Christmas, it's gonna be great.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Roman

Post by Roman »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:09 am Got my PS5 today, installing the update. It came with a GoW Ranarok voucher so I can start playing that. My son is coming home for Christmas, it's gonna be great.
Awesome! Enjoy - I am still in the early stages of Ragnarok and really liking it. The entire reason I bought a PS2 way way back was for GoW.
While feeding all the beasties out back I let a nice big fart. The smell followed all the way back to the house. It's like it was my baby and felt abandoned.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I really like the aesthetic and graphics of GoWR, but I suck at fighting games. I managed to get past the first boss, but the game is relentless and I could not handle the second boss, even on easy.

Instead I picked up a couple JPRG's, which is more my style. Tails of Arise (action) and Edge of Eternity (turn based - yay!).
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:25 pm I really like the aesthetic and graphics of GoWR, but I suck at fighting games. I managed to get past the first boss, but the game is relentless and I could not handle the second boss, even on easy.

Instead I picked up a couple JPRG's, which is more my style. Tails of Arise (action) and Edge of Eternity (turn based - yay!).
Did you try GoW on Story mode setting? It's extremely easy that way, and if you did and still can't beat the 2nd boss then yeah the game is not for you.
FTE
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:25 pm I really like the aesthetic and graphics of GoWR, but I suck at fighting games. I managed to get past the first boss, but the game is relentless and I could not handle the second boss, even on easy.
Welcome to the TAGA (Terrible Action Gamers Association), I'm running for the President of the OO Chapter this year. ;)

Seriously though, just play it on Story mode. You get all the cool eye candy and still feel like a bad-ass in combat, and can do it without dying over and over again.
Thanks for the heads up, I didn't realize Edge of Eternity was out on PS5. I've heard so-so things about the game itself, but will play anything with a Yasounori Mitsuda soundtrack.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:54 am
Welcome to the TAGA (Terrible Action Gamers Association), I'm running for the President of the OO Chapter this year. ;)

Seriously though, just play it on Story mode. You get all the cool eye candy and still feel like a bad-ass in combat, and can do it without dying over and over again.
Thanks for the heads up, I didn't realize Edge of Eternity was out on PS5. I've heard so-so things about the game itself, but will play anything with a Yasounori Mitsuda soundtrack.
The PS5/4 has so many great RPGS and JRPGs that it's easy to forget some. FF7 remake, Tails of Arise, The Trails of Cold Steel series, Persona 5, Ys 8 and 9, the Atelier series, and on and on.
FTE
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I may go back and try GoWR on story mode. Right now I'm loving Edge of Eternity. The difference is I could level up to the point where the first boss (not the tutorial bot but the actual game) was super easy, barely an inconvenience. It seems the tutorial may have been misleading, as you start with a party of 4, and it appears later you only get 2. I hope you get more companions at some point. And turn-based is a huge plus over twitch time.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The worst thing about long years of gaming is when the acronyms start to overlap. I keep having to figure out why the PS5 thread has a discussion about Gears of War.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Jaymann wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:11 am I may go back and try GoWR on story mode. Right now I'm loving Edge of Eternity. The difference is I could level up to the point where the first boss (not the tutorial bot but the actual game) was super easy, barely an inconvenience. It seems the tutorial may have been misleading, as you start with a party of 4, and it appears later you only get 2. I hope you get more companions at some point. And turn-based is a huge plus over twitch time.
Played through the first 30 minutes Of Edge of Eternity, really liking what I see so far. Very old-school JRPG (actual ATB bars!) that feels fun to play. It's a little rough around the edges, but that's to be expected with a very small dev team. Looking forward to digging into this one further.

FF VII Crisis Core comes out next week as well. That was an excellent PSP game, and the reviews for PS5 are pretty stellar as well. Looks like the holidays will be all JRPG goodness. :)
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I saw a PS5 out in the wild this weekend. Just sitting there, mocking me.

Luckily I have an old TV. I need to upgrade that before I can take full advantage of the newer consoles. Plus I have almost no time to play games anymore.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Jaymann wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:11 am I may go back and try GoWR on story mode. Right now I'm loving Edge of Eternity. The difference is I could level up to the point where the first boss (not the tutorial bot but the actual game) was super easy, barely an inconvenience. It seems the tutorial may have been misleading, as you start with a party of 4, and it appears later you only get 2. I hope you get more companions at some point. And turn-based is a huge plus over twitch time.
Played a couple more hours last night. I can absolutely appreciate what they did in creating that game as a very small team, but holy crap is it a complete mess. Saying it’s a “little bit janky” would be like saying the Pope is a “little bit Catholic”. It’s still kinda fun in a B-movie sort of way but it’s pretty much a disaster in terms of bugs, a bazillion graphical glitches, UI issues, misspellings, etc.

I’d love to see the game get a coat of polish from a bigger dev, as I think the bones of a solid JRPG are definitely there.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:26 am
Played a couple more hours last night. I can absolutely appreciate what they did in creating that game as a very small team, but holy crap is it a complete mess. Saying it’s a “little bit janky” would be like saying the Pope is a “little bit Catholic”. It’s still kinda fun in a B-movie sort of way but it’s pretty much a disaster in terms of bugs, a bazillion graphical glitches, UI issues, misspellings, etc.

I’d love to see the game get a coat of polish from a bigger dev, as I think the bones of a solid JRPG are definitely there.
I played it for about 2 hours since its on Gamepass, and I thought the same thing.
FTE
Roman

Post by Roman »

Scraper wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:15 am
Skinypupy wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:54 am

The PS5/4 has so many great RPGS and JRPGs that it's easy to forget some. FF7 remake, Tails of Arise, The Trails of Cold Steel series, Persona 5, Ys 8 and 9, the Atelier series, and on and on.
I'm in the same boat with the other gamers who mash the same 2 or 3 combo(s) over and over. Heck it works for Kratos so it'll work for me right?
I'm in awe of gamers who can string together multiple combos WITH all 3 weapons in one fight. :shock:
While feeding all the beasties out back I let a nice big fart. The smell followed all the way back to the house. It's like it was my baby and felt abandoned.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I went back and restarted GoWR on story mode. Was a bit tedious but I made it to chapter 2. One thing I have learned from games like this is when they try to rail you in one direction always go the other way - you won't be able to go back later. I wonder when that hack silver will come into play.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:39 pm I went back and restarted GoWR on story mode. Was a bit tedious but I made it to chapter 2. One thing I have learned from games like this is when they try to rail you in one direction always go the other way - you won't be able to go back later. I wonder when that hack silver will come into play.
You can always go back later in GoW and Ragnorok, in fact you have to in order to get the Platinum and after the main story ends the game actually opens up several portals all around the realms to warp around a lot faster.
FTE
Isgrimnur

Playstation 5

Post by Isgrimnur »

Sony just emailed me saying they had consoles in stock.
Fishbelly

Post by Fishbelly »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:58 pm Sony just emailed me saying they had consoles in stock.
Same here. I'd registered with them way back in March or April. Glad I scored my PS5 from Walmart in May, because that was quite a wait.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

The only negative I have about the PS5 is that their subscription service sucks balls compared to gamepass. Aside from the first batch of games they haven't added much if anything in the way of big games. This is what they are dropping this month. 99.99% of it is just the same stuff being passed around on gamepass. Not a single one of them is a newer game from what I see. :evil:

WWE 2K22 (PS4)
Far Cry 5 (PS4)
Far Cry New Dawn (PS4)
Far Cry Primal (PS4)
Mortal Shell (PS4, PS5)
Judgment (PS4, PS5)
Yakuza: Like a Dragon (PS4, PS5)
Yakuza 6: The Song of Life (PS4)
Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor (PS4)
Middle-Earth: Shadow of War (PS4)
The Pedestrian (PS4, PS5)
Evil Genius 2 (PS4, PS5)
Adventure Time Pirates of the Enchiridion (PS4)
Ben 10: Power Trip (PS4, PS5)
Gigantosaurus The Game (PS4)
Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire – Ultimate Edition (PS4)
Worms W.M.D (PS4)
The Escapists 2 (PS4)
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I actually like their subscription service. I’ve got 4 big name games I’m playing that would have cost me a lot more than the 99 bucks I paid for a year. And there are others I want to play too. I used to be all about gamepass, but it’s been going downhill for a while now in terms of content. Plus it’s more expensive. I dropped ultimate just recently and went to the console only level because of that.
Covfefe!