Web Browsers?

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: Web Browsers?

Post by LawBeefaroni »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:42 pm Chrome and Brave.

Brave when I can, Chrome the rest of the time.

I don't use apps/enhancents/extensions. Just vanilla.
I finally got around to verifying Uphold and I have ~150 BAT in my Brave wallet. That's kind of cool.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Switching from Vivaldi. I gave it maybe a year I guess? The old college try. The search for the perfect browser continues…

Maybe it’s time to give the other browser finalist (Brave) from the last ‘competition’ a shot. How do you like it LB?

Also, slightly relayed: temporarily switched back to Google for search, from Duck Duck Go. Not sure if something changed recently, or it’s me just now noticing, but I’m getting garbage results lately from DDG.

The first time I noticed something was off was about a month or two ago, so I fed the same input into Google, and got relevant results, and what I was looking for.

So I did a few tests of random searches and it just felt like DDG was broken, or didn’t have access to the full internet.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:46 pm Switching from Vivaldi. I gave it maybe a year I guess? The old college try. The search for the perfect browser continues…

Maybe it’s time to give the other browser finalist (Brave) from the last ‘competition’ a shot. How do you like it LB?

Also, slightly relayed: temporarily switched back to Google for search, from Duck Duck Go. Not sure if something changed recently, or it’s me just now noticing, but I’m getting garbage results lately from DDG.

The first time I noticed something was off was about a month or two ago, so I fed the same input into Google, and got relevant results, and what I was looking for.

So I did a few tests of random searches and it just felt like DDG was broken, or didn’t have access to the full internet.
If you're unhappy with DuckDuckGo search results (which relies upon the Bing API along with its own crawler), try using Startpage.com, which allows users to obtain Google Search results while protecting their privacy by not storing personal information or search data, and removing all trackers.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Awesome, thanks!!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I like Brave. I have never used Adblockers or extensions so not missing anything from Chrome. Brave is clean, intuitive, and does what I need.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I switched to DDG a few weeks ago and haven't noticed any lower quality, but I'm not using it on my work laptop. I need google there for fact-checking and don't care about being tracked as I do it. DDG is good enough for my personal interests.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Can anyone think of a reason why just one specific website wouldn't have any sound in Chrome? It has sound in other browsers. Other websites have sound in Chrome. It's an online radio station that I listen to while working, and it's very inconvenient for me to have it in any other browser than Chrome. But when I have it up, Chrome doesn't even show up in the sound mixer. It's probably their website that's messed up somehow, but it only broke in the past month or so, so I was hoping there's something I can do on my end. I tried completely resetting Chrome, which didn't do anything.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Does it show the speaker icon on the tab?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:58 pm Does it show the speaker icon on the tab?
Nope.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

What's the site?
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

https://www.radiodacha.ru/player.htm (it's a Russian radio station - those darn Russians breaking everything :) )
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Found the mole.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Not just you. I can get some of the stations, but no Radio Dacha. Can't get in Edge, either.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

It's funny because it actually works in Edge for me (I didn't expect it to, since Edge is basically Chromium). Oh well, first world problems :)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:22 pm Found the mole.
:lol:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Appropriate I guess for this thread, Firefox turns 100, does not break the internet
I may be PC Gamer's last committed Firefox user, and so it falls to me to mark, with great pleasure and satisfaction, the venerable open-source browser's 100th birthday—that is, the release of its 100th update.
Interestingly, the leadup to the big 100 has been something of a headache for the Firefox folks, and the Chrome team too. It turns out that the move from two-digit to three-digit version numbers has the potential to break the internet: It's technical (you can get a more detailed rundown at Mozilla Hacks if you like) but essentially the situation is akin to a mini-Y2K in that nobody anticipated three-digit version numbers, and now here they are.
I've been a Firefox user for heaven knows how many years, so I'll be getting myself a birthday cake tonight and celebrating! :D
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Meh. What kind of milestone is it if it's mostly hidden away? The change to incremental updates from version releases has robbed it of some of the prestige of having a release you could look forward to. What would we be up to now, Firefox 15?
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Authority924

Post by Authority924 »

Has anyone used Brave Browser? its been promoted as the safest browser. I would like to hear some opinions
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I've used Brave on Android, found it doesn't offer much beyond Opera or Vivaldi or other browsers.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

https://www.theverge.com/2022/6/10/2313 ... eb-request

https://ia.acs.org.au/article/2022/good ... ckers.html
Given the long-running security and privacy issues found in extensions on all browsers, an upgrade to the Manifest V2 API was certainly warranted, however, many have levied criticism at Google for claiming to improve security while simultaneously hindering the capabilities of security and privacy extensions.

MV3's restrictions are something of a double-edged sword – while malicious web extensions will be less capable, ethical privacy extensions will be made less capable as well.
The game-changing restrictions introduced by MV3 aren't exclusive to the Google Chrome browser alone.

According to Asfand Qazi, senior software developer at the Ministry of Justice UK, "most other browsers like Edge and Opera also use the Chrome engine so will be affected too".

"This will push many users into the hands of the only viable alternative: Firefox. It was previously losing market share but will now hopefully gain some back," said Qazi.

He also noted Google "will soon be disabling the extension hooks required by ad blocking extensions, as well as giving advertisers a lot more access to our private data."

Mozilla, the not-for-profit behind the veteran browser, Firefox, originally voiced support for MV3, but in a recent blog post has announced it will maintain support for the Web Request API.

"One of the most controversial changes of Chrome’s MV3 approach is the removal of blocking WebRequest, which provides a level of power and flexibility that is critical to enabling advanced privacy and content blocking features," said Mozilla.

"Unfortunately, that power has also been used to harm users in a variety of ways. Chrome’s solution in MV3 was to define a more narrowly scoped API (declarativeNetRequest) as a replacement. However, this will limit the capabilities of certain types of privacy extensions without adequate replacement," it added.

Mozilla went on to state it would maintain support for both Web Request and Declarative Net Request, thus increasing compatibility with many ad blocking extensions.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Chrome had an update over the last few days, and when the update was applied on relaunch, it not only deleted all my cookies, it blew away all the passwords I had saved in the browser on my work laptop...for sites that I constantly have to login to. Like, WTF...