Shootings

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Daehawk

Re: Shootings

Post by Daehawk »

Alefroth wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:43 pm It's not that the link doesn't work. You just left out the =

Man accused of making threats, firing gun at Cleveland Walmart arrested
gotcha ty
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

My office at work overlooks an alley and the back yards of the houses across the alley. Today I heard shots coming from the alley so after waiting a few seconds to be sure they were done, I looked out my window. Directly across, in a back yard, a guy was fumbling with a pistol. He finally holstered it OWB/open carry and hastily gathered up some stuff and went inside.

I assumed it was a negligent discharge but called the cops anyway because even that is illegal here plus don't go fucking around with loaded firearms right outside my building. And next to the elderly neighbors enjoying their garden.

He had been wearing a Gravy uniform (OD Gruntstyle Tshirt, camo hat, holster, cargo shorts). When the cops brought him out of the house to ID, he had on soccer shorts, flip flops, and a harmless looking Tshirt. But he had the same shocked look on his face he had right after he fired off a couple of rounds in broad daylight in his back yard.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I'm told they got him for UUW and took the pistol. Not sure if they he had a FOID it not. Apparently they didn't search for other firearms.

I debated for a few minutes whether to call 911. But given that I spent the weekend running a street fest where top of mind was constantly "will there be a shooting?" and given how Highland Park has affected everyone at work I figured it couldn't not call. If it was just an ND by a harmless guy acting stupidly, hopefully he learns his lesson. But if he's a potential domestic case or gang banger or mass shooter, he's on radar now.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I’m glad you made the call. Also, I appreciate the update on the call, as I was going to ask if you learned anything about what they did.

Did he need to admit to the discharge? I would think he would have denied it and it would have turned into a big nothing.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Unagi wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:10 pm I’m glad you made the call. Also, I appreciate the update on the call, as I was going to ask if you learned anything about what they did.

Did he need to admit to the discharge? I would think he would have denied it and it would have turned into a big nothing.
I'm going to try and get more detail. Our security team should be able to request since it was up against our property. If not I know some coppers/sgt in 19 and they can probably get me more info. I also have one of the responding officers ' email.

They cited him with UUW, no idea if he admitted to anything or not. I imagine they they asked if owned a handgun and he probably said yes so they took it when they arrested him. I don't recall seeing him picking up brass so if they checked they could probaby find that plus the impacts. They have photos of him holstering so they know where to look. Was not blanks because it was a autoloader and the shots were pretty rapid.

MYT
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:02 pm I'm told they got him for UUW and took the pistol. Not sure if they he had a FOID it not. Apparently they didn't search for other firearms.

I debated for a few minutes whether to call 911. But given that I spent the weekend running a street fest where top of mind was constantly "will there be a shooting?" and given how Highland Park has affected everyone at work I figured it couldn't not call. If it was just an ND by a harmless guy acting stupidly, hopefully he learns his lesson. But if he's a potential domestic case or gang banger or mass shooter, he's on radar now.
So... many... acronyms to google!
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Isn't FOID a method to solve quadratic equations?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

All the damn acronyms. Had to look them all up. Dangit. Lawyer speak :P
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Jaymann wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:55 pm Isn't FOID a method to solve quadratic equations?
FOIL is for multiplying binomials.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Nothing says international cooperation like three Dutch soldiers getting shot in the middle of the night in Indianapolis. That's what the Dutch get for sending their troops into a chaotic shit hole country.
One of three Dutch soldiers wounded in a shooting outside a hotel in downtown Indianapolis over the weekend has died, the Dutch Defense Ministry said Monday.

The commando died of his injuries "surrounded by family and colleagues," the ministry said in a statement.

The soldier was one of three members of the Dutch Commando Corps who were shot and wounded early Saturday after what Indianapolis police believe was a disturbance outside the hotel where they were staying, authorities said.

The Marion County coroner's office in Indianapolis identified the victim as Simmie Poetsema, 26, but didn't immediately release any additional information.

The two other wounded soldiers were conscious, the Defense Ministry said.

The shooting occurred about 3:30 a.m. in Indianapolis’ entertainment district. The Defense Ministry said the three soldiers were from the Commando Corps and were in Indiana for training.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Safeway customer, worker killed in Bend (OR) shooting as gunman dies of self-inflicted gunshot, police say

Sounds like your standard incel with an AR-15, a sawed-off shotgun and some molotov cocktails shooting up a shopping center.

Move along . . . nothing to see here.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
malchior

Post by malchior »

Guess there weren't enough good guys with guns available.

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Expect all the rhetoric out of recent Memphis news to be about early release, not guns.

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Secondarily, how was this guy's Facebook livestream not terminated immediately?

MYT
naednek

Post by naednek »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:07 am Expect all the rhetoric out of recent Memphis news to be about early release, not guns.
I think both are in issue.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

naednek wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:42 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:07 am Expect all the rhetoric out of recent Memphis news to be about early release, not guns.
I think both are in issue.
Absolutely. But expect only one to be talked about.

MYT
Holman

Post by Holman »

Awful news:

Yesterday afternoon there was a shooting just after a high-school JV football scrimmage just a mile from my house. Five players (ages 14 to 17) were hit, and one has died. Witnesses report two shooters firing from a car. Police say 64 shots were fired.

This is especially a shock since violent crime is pretty rare in our part of the city.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Damn, that is horrible. :(
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Another Alex Jones court hearing is underway, to determine damages for his years of abuse of Sandy Hook parents.

What those poor people had to go through at the hands of Jones and his followers is horrific. Today's testimony recapped in this Twitter thread:

An excerpt:
In 2016 the Parkers were invited to an art event. He parked his car and walked to the hotel. Someone approached.

"I reached my hand out to shake his hand, and he looked down at my hand and stared at me. He said how do you fucking sleep at night you fucking piece of shit."

People are staring at Robbie and this stranger, as they both walk down the street, the man shouting abuses at Robbie.

"How much fucking money did you get from the fucking government you fucking asshole" the man yelled at Robbie.

Finally, Robbie snapped at him.

"How dare you, you’re talking about my daughter. She was KILLED, who do you think YOU are? How do you sleep at night? I used some colorful language as well."

Robbie: "We went at it, we were yelling at each other. That circle of people around us got wider and wider."

Finally he was able to walk away from the man. He had to get back to his girls and his family.

"I had to be OK," Robbie testifies. "I wanted to protect them so bad."

Robbie returned to the hotel. He thought he was composed when his wife, Alissa, answered.

"She opened the door and took one look at me and her face went white and she just said 'what happened, what happened to you?' She could see it in me. I just started bawling."

We are shown video of Alex Jones calling Parker an actor.

"He’s a worse actor than Glenn Beck, ok, this is disgusting," Jones says. He later says Robbie is doing "classic acting training."

Cutting between this and Robbie's testimony is brutal, but necessary for jurors to see.

Robbie testifies he had already felt like he failed Emilie in life. Now he felt he was failing her in death.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It is football season...

Friday night football in America: Gunfire erupts during high school football game in Toledo, Ohio. There are at least three victims.

Permitless carry went into effect in Ohio in June thanks to @GovMikeDeWine, despite law enforcement’s opposition.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Laying it at the feet of permitless carry is a bit of a stretch.

I'm pretty sure that's not a significant factor in Newburgh, NY.
At least three people were hurt when shots rang out after a high school football game in Newburgh on Friday. It happened at about 9:30 p.m. in the north parking lot, after the game between Newburgh Free Academy and Warwick High School.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 3:45 pm Laying it at the feet of permitless carry is a bit of a stretch.

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of permitless carry but that's a poor connection.

MYT
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Alex Jones ordered to pay near $1 billion. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:37 pm NPR
Nikolas Cruz will plead guilty next Wednesday to killing 14 students and three staff members at Marjorie Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla., his defense team says.

With the admission of guilt in the 2018 mass shooting, Cruz's legal team will focus on the penalty phase of the trial, hoping to secure a punishment of 17 consecutive life sentences for their client, rather than the death penalty that prosecutors are seeking.

The timeline for Cruz, 23, to plead guilty emerged during a hearing Friday morning where he pleaded guilty to felony battery on a law enforcement officer. In that case, Cruz was accused of hitting and kicking a prison guard and trying to take his Taser.
The jury has reached its verdict and has (so far) NOT been recommending the Death Penalty for Cruz.

The verdict for each count is still being read, but it looks like they may all go the same way. The courtroom is packed and you can tell that people are not satisfied with this.

It would appear that there was 1 (or more) Juror that made it clear they were not going to be OK with the death penalty- and the Jury concluded there was no point to deliberate for more than 24 hours to try to convince them otherwise.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

It's absolutely gut-wrenching to watch these parents listen to these verdicts one by one.

They are all lost.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

The slow roll is horrible. They are hoping for a death verdict but it's clearly not going to come.

I get that it's procedural but it's just brutal.

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

No death penalty.

Final sentencing pending victim statements set for Nov 1.

MYT
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Is the judge allowed to ‘not take the recommendation’ and give him the death penalty? Or is it only the other way around.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I don't know about Florida but it happens in Alabama. It's pointless because they just end up being life sentences served on death row.

MYT
UsulofDoom

Post by UsulofDoom »

I hope they don't waste time on death row. It's just not worth it when it can now take 20 years for appeals to go through before their executed.
Half of all death-row exonerations have taken more than a decade, and the length of time between conviction and exoneration has continued to grow. More than half of the exonerations since 2013 have taken 25 years or more.
Death-row prisoners in the U.S. typically spend more than a decade awaiting execution or court rulings overturning their death sentences. More than half of all prisoners currently sentenced to death in the U.S. have been on death row for more than 18 years.
https://deathpenaltyinfo.org/death-row/ ... -death-row

I would prefer he be in solitary for long time then let out in general population at a later time, where it would be the end for him. Having to spend your next 20 years going to appeal hearings ,for the victim’s family would be unfathomable misery. I know I would not want to invest more time in him than I was aloud to for his victims.
If I make a grammar or spelling mistake, PM me. I will correct it. It’s better than you being an asshole!

No one knows the truth, only hypothesis, assumptions, conjectures, speculations, presumptions, guesses and theories.

We are not Gods, but nature. No more than one of many dominate species that will inhabit this planet for a short period of time, on its ever so long journey through the universe.
stessier

Post by stessier »

This was the correct result. The death penalty should not be a thing.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

stessier wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 3:22 pm This was the correct result. The death penalty should not be a thing.
+1
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

stessier wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 3:22 pm This was the correct result. The death penalty should not be a thing.
Yeah....the parents that wanted it are just heartless, uncaring people.
Shame on them.

And does it really matter if they end up spending years on death row before being put down?
They're in jail either way. Is death row more cozy or something? Do they get special treatment?
Why not have the stench of death hanging over their heads while they try to find God?
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Why do you have to always be hyperbolic and misrepresent what people say?
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Alefroth wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:14 pm Why do you have to always be hyperbolic and misrepresent what people say?
Misrepresent????
How can anyone read what he wrote as anything other than he doesnt believe in the death penalty under any circumstances.
Good for him, and I agree that in some cases where there is not absolute clear evidence of guilt or possibly mental health issues, it should not be on the table.
But cases like this?
I say fry em.
Last edited by stimpy on Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

See, you can't even respond to that question honestly.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

stimpy wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:19 pm
Alefroth wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:14 pm Why do you have to always be hyperbolic and misrepresent what people say?
Misrepresent????
How can anyone read what he wrote as anything other than he doesnt believe in the death penalty under any circumstances.
Uhhh... hello?
It's not that. No one is saying that what he wrote means anything other than he doesn't believe in the death penalty under any circumstances. Is that what you accused him of at all?
stimpy wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:50 pm
Shame on them.
It's that you then wrote back that his statement somehow implied that the parents that wanted it are "just heartless, uncaring people. Shame on them."

I can't imagine for a second that stessier feels the parents should hold any shame for feeling how they feel. And even if a person did feel there was some shame to hold for that desire - it most certainly wouldn't be based on them being heartless, uncaring people.

Honestly, I don't conclude you are heartless and uncaring because you feel he should get the death penalty. But I also understand a firm line that people draw.
Last edited by Unagi on Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
malchior

Post by malchior »

stimpy wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:19 pm
Misrepresent????
Shame on them.
This here. This is the misrepresenting and hyperbole.
This is the actual message he said. While it's possible he thinks those parents are heartless, uncaring people for supporting the death penalty that seems more like something you invented in your own mind.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

The death penalty is about getting revenge. It has little-to-no deterrent effect. I can understand crime victims wanting revenge and don't judge them for that; I've never lost a loved one to a sociopath and hope I never do. Maybe that would change my mind, but I don't believe the state should be in the business of delivering death.

I posit that life without parole is a worse punishment.