Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Re: Random randomness

Post by Daehawk »

I met a girl with freckles on her face , freckles on her face
I asked her where she got them and she said I got them all over the place.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

TVs are deceptive. I was walking across Walmart and passed through electronics. I was looking at the TVs as I passed and thought the one I was looking at was 32" or 36" ...nope 50". Wth. They looks so much smaller than what they are. The thinness and such Im guessing fools the brain. I grew up on a tv the size of a washing machine that was 25" and thought it was huge. My own tv was 19" and I felt it was big. When I see a 20" monitor now I think its so small and wonder how I ever watched tv across the room.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Despite having A/V purist leanings I've never been bothered by a small screen once I "get in the zone". While I still do prefer to watch movies on my monitor or TV, I've still viewed quite a few (and tons of TV) on my phone and I don't feel the experience was significantly diminished. If anything, I've been negatively affected by seeing films on cinema screens that feel too big.

Definitely remember going from a 15" CRT monitors to 17" ones and them feeling huge. Similar when my friend got a 19".

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Yea each step up in monitors over the decades has always felt huge. I started on a 14" crt and had no issue with the size. Loved playing games on it. Next was a 17" crt and like you said it really felt huge. I would see them in stores and drool over them. Radio SHack had them on display then if you can believe that. Then was a 20" lcd...amazing step up it felt though it wasn't a big leap. Then a 27" lcd and now a 29" ultrawide. I really feel it on the ultrawide. But even it is feeling smaller to me the older I get and the worse my eyes are. Next one day will be a 34" ultra if I can find one in the future. Im not sure on curved or not.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

One day rabbit walked into a butcher shop and asked "Do you have any carrots?" The butcher replied "Sorry this is a butcher shop we sell only meat."
The next day the rabbit comes into the butcher shop again and asks "Do you have any carrots?" The butcher says "I told you yesterday this is a butcher shop we sell only meat. Now stop coming in here asking for carrots."
The next day the rabbit comes into the butcher shop again and asks "Do you have any carrots?"
Now the butcher is pissed and says "NO,We don't have carrots! If you come back again I'll nail your ears to the wall."
The 4th day comes and no rabbit.
The 5th day comes and no rabbit.
The 6th day comes and the rabbit comes in and asks the butcher, "Do you have any nails?" He says "No.I don't have any nails." Then the rabbit asks, "In that case do you have any carrots?"
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

dbt1949 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:22 am One day rabbit walked into a butcher shop and asked "Do you have any carrots?" The butcher replied "Sorry this is a butcher shop we sell only meat."
The next day the rabbit comes into the butcher shop again and asks "Do you have any carrots?" The butcher says "I told you yesterday this is a butcher shop we sell only meat. Now stop coming in here asking for carrots."
The next day the rabbit comes into the butcher shop again and asks "Do you have any carrots?"
Now the butcher is pissed and says "NO,We don't have carrots! If you come back again I'll nail your ears to the wall."
The 4th day comes and no rabbit.
The 5th day comes and no rabbit.
The 6th day comes and the rabbit comes in and asks the butcher, "Do you have any nails?" He says "No.I don't have any nails." Then the rabbit asks, "In that case do you have any carrots?"
We had a different version of this joke in the USSR when I was a kid :lol:
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:49 am TVs are deceptive. I was walking across Walmart and passed through electronics. I was looking at the TVs as I passed and thought the one I was looking at was 32" or 36" ...nope 50". Wth. They looks so much smaller than what they are. The thinness and such Im guessing fools the brain. I grew up on a tv the size of a washing machine that was 25" and thought it was huge. My own tv was 19" and I felt it was big. When I see a 20" monitor now I think its so small and wonder how I ever watched tv across the room.
TVs on the shelf in the store also look smaller than they would look in your house - since they are surrounded by a huge open space, high ceilings, etc.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

gilraen wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:26 am TVs on the shelf in the store also look smaller than they would look in your house - since they are surrounded by a huge open space, high ceilings, etc.
That's why I never have sex in a Walmart.
Last edited by stimpy on Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Quote : I told my wife she was drawing her eyebrows too high. She looked surprised
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:49 am TVs are deceptive. I was walking across Walmart and passed through electronics. I was looking at the TVs as I passed and thought the one I was looking at was 32" or 36" ...nope 50". Wth. They looks so much smaller than what they are. The thinness and such Im guessing fools the brain. I grew up on a tv the size of a washing machine that was 25" and thought it was huge. My own tv was 19" and I felt it was big. When I see a 20" monitor now I think its so small and wonder how I ever watched tv across the room.
Old folk (us) also grew up with TVs with wide bezels, speakers, and a console built around them, so a TV that took up X feet of wall space was much smaller (screen size) than one that takes up the same space now.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

gilraen wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:26 am
TVs on the shelf in the store also look smaller than they would look in your house - since they are surrounded by a huge open space, high ceilings, etc.
Also the aspect ratio of the TVs of "our" youth made for much smaller TVs labeled with the same size. My 18" 4x3 CRT had nearly the same top to bottom as does my modern 24" 16:9. It gets even more off when you get a wider screen (anamorphic?).
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ya I recall something about the tvs of our youth cutting off the corners and such.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im a big Pringles fan. I grew up with them. But today I had little cash so grabbed some Lay Stax. They were $1.48. WOW! These things are tasty! They are a little thicker than a Pringles chip but way way more flavorful. I love them. Im switching. I need to find out of they have a good selection of flavors. Hope so but doubt it.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:56 pm I need to find out of they have a good selection of flavors. Hope so but doubt it.
/ Lays' tiny little selection-of-flavors scurries away in fear.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Rolling Stone
Vancouver’s KISS-FM radio station 104.9 has not stopped playing Rage Against the Machine’s song “Killing in the Name” for the past 10 hours after two beloved morning show DJs were laid off on Tuesday.

Rolling Stone tuned into the station Wednesday afternoon and it was still playing the 1992 track on loop, only stopping to have two DJs mimic Zack de la Rocha’s grunts in the song — “A little lower… close enough” said a female DJ to her partner. The memorable grunts come before the singer’s scathing outro of “Fuck you, I won’t do what you tell me,” which of course was left off the radio replays.
On Wednesday morning, Tom Morello retweeted a fan who pointed out the radio protest. “Pop radio station in Vancouver laid off all of their staff yesterday,” read the tweet. “Whoever is on the controls this morning has been playing Killing In The Name Of on repeat since 6am (it’s now 9:30). @KevinLimOnAir @Sonia_Sidhu It’s beautiful.”
I doubt it's a protest, as this sort of thing is normal when a station changes formats.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Unagi wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:26 pm
Daehawk wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:56 pm I need to find out of they have a good selection of flavors. Hope so but doubt it.
/ Lays' tiny little selection-of-flavors scurries away in fear.
LAY'S® STAX® Original Potato Crisps
LAY'S® STAX® Sour Cream & Onion Flavored Potato Crisps
LAY'S® STAX® Mesquite BBQ Flavored Potato Crisps
LAY'S® STAX® Cheddar Flavored Potato Crisps
LAY'S® STAX® Salt & Vinegar Flavored Potato Crisps
LAY'S® STAX® Bacon & Cheddar Potato Skins Flavored Potato Crisps
LAY'S® STAX® Buffalo Wings with Ranch Flavored Potato Crisps
LAY'S® STAX® XTRA Flamin' Hot Flavored Potato Crisps
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Of which, only the XTRA Flamin' Hot Flavored will be given the green light.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thing is its hard to find the flavors. Stores seem to carry only one or two. Even huge stores like Walmart.

These look good....

LAY'S® STAX® Sour Cream & Onion Flavored Potato Crisps
LAY'S® STAX® Mesquite BBQ Flavored Potato Crisps
LAY'S® STAX® Salt & Vinegar Flavored Potato Crisps
LAY'S® STAX® Buffalo Wings with Ranch Flavored Potato Crisps
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:01 pm Thing is its hard to find the flavors. Stores seem to carry only one or two. Even huge stores like Walmart.
Did you know Walmart will just mail them to you?
(I assume)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Amazon Prime will mail you a 30 pack mix for $15 - that's $.50 per unit, or approximately 1 bag per episode of the Boys.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

<snicker>
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Can I just get the olestra in bulk without having to use a medium?
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hepcat wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:28 pm Can I just get the olestra in bulk without having to use a medium?
Why would you need a psychic?
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Obviously:

Enlarge Image
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:30 pm
hepcat wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:28 pm Can I just get the olestra in bulk without having to use a medium?
Why would you need a psychic?
They know why.
He won. Period.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Saw a comedy special with Eddie Izzard last night. He's probably my favorite comedian. It was filmed just this year. Man but what he was looking old. I think he's in his sixty's now. Anyrate his voice was really bad. Harsh and low volume. His material was okay but not his best but I had such a hard time understanding and it took away from his performance.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

dbt1949 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:58 am Saw a comedy special with Eddie Izzard last night. He's probably my favorite comedian. It was filmed just this year. Man but what he was looking old. I think he's in his sixty's now. Anyrate his voice was really bad. Harsh and low volume. His material was okay but not his best but I had such a hard time understanding and it took away from his performance.
I know you said you are dropping Netflix, but if you haven't watched "What about Dick?" yet, then you really need to.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Netflix expired today.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

dbt1949 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:58 am Saw a comedy special with Eddie Izzard last night. He's probably my favorite comedian.
Somehow I'd imagine Eddie Izzard being absolutely tickled that he has a fan from Hogeye Arkansas.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Izzard has a way of phrasing things that stick with me for yeeeears after hearing them

and for some reason i find the bit on Americans' (mis)use of the word 'awesome' (and an example contextual usage involving hotdogs) to be really funny
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

William the Conqueror

He was touchy about his weight.

Described as strapping and healthy in his earlier years, William apparently ballooned later in life. It is said that King Philip of France likened him to a pregnant woman about to give birth. According to some accounts, the corpulent conqueror became so dismayed with his size that he devised his own version of a fad diet, consuming only wine and spirits for a certain period of time. It didn’t work.
His body exploded at his funeral.

William died after his horse reared up during a 1087 battle, throwing the king against his saddle pommel so forcefully that his intestines ruptured. An infection set in that killed him several weeks later. As priests tried to stuff William into a stone coffin that proved too small for his bulk, they pushed on his abdomen, causing it to burst. Mourners supposedly ran for the door to escape the putrid stench.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Who knew the rivalry between teammates Lando Norris and Daniel Riccardo would turn violent.

Hodor.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Well, here I am at 4:30 in the morning and haven't slept all night. I laid in bed 2 1/2 hours before giving up. Tylenol PM didn't help. <sigh> getting olde is not good.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:07 pm Amazon Prime will mail you a 30 pack mix for $15 - that's $.50 per unit, or approximately 1 bag per episode of the Boys.
Am I the only one suddenly inundated with Lay's Stax ads now? :doh:
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Not me...but I bought more today.

Anyone notice dish soap no longer says antibacterial? Its why I bought Ajax..maybe its just Ajax I didn't look. Maybe it still does and they dont put it on the bottle now. I dont plan to switch though as Ajax is great and cheaper .
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

You don't need to have antibacterial soap in your house. They probably removed it because of the FDA ruling in 2016 related to triclosan. In short, you're better off without it.
The agency issued a proposed rule in 2013 after some data suggested that long-term exposure to certain active ingredients used in antibacterial products — for example, triclosan (liquid soaps) and triclocarban (bar soaps) — could pose health risks, such as bacterial resistance or hormonal effects.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:30 am You don't need to have antibacterial soap in your house. They probably removed it because of the FDA ruling in 2016 related to triclosan. In short, you're better off without it.
That really mostly applies to body/handwashing products, though. Dish soap can still be antibacterial.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

No kidding. If you're killing 99.9% of bacteria with poison, that means you're leaving the strongest 0.1% to breed a new, stronger generation. And bacteria have a 'generation' on the average of every 12 hours. Antibacterial soap is doing the bacterial equivalent of spawning COVID variants twice a day in your kitchen. You'll eventually end up super bacteria, and if you get an infection? Good luck!

Better to just use regular soap, and ensure that the weak bacteria survive - on their way down your drain, which is the purpose of soap anyway, to get the bacteria off of you and your dishes and down the drain.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

gilraen wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:37 am That really mostly applies to body/handwashing products, though. Dish soap can still be antibacterial.
I'm guessing once word got out about triclosan, companies just removed it from all retail soap options. Not just over potential liability issues, but to streamline manufacturing. Bottom line, it has no reason to be in anything someone can purchase OTC for use in their home. Soap, shoe polish, window cleaner - whatever.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

hormonal effects
Well that explains my new funbags.

As for the 99.9% a company says that even if they think their product is 100% because by leaving some room they cant get sued if it does fail.

Man I HAVE GOT to get some magnesium supplements when I can afford them. Im getting severe muscle cramps just moving normally now. Last night I looked over to my right for something and my neck cramped bad up. Today in the car I looked to see traffic to my right and it cramped up again. And just now I reached with my left arm across in front of me for my soda on my right and my ribcage cramped up to die for. Its VERY difficult to stretch out a cramping muscle in your neck or ribs. Damn hard in fact so it just gets worse and lasts on and on.