Juneteenth

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Isgrimnur

Re: Juneteenth

Post by Isgrimnur »

My org paid for a table at the Arlington Black Chamber of Commerce's event that was held this evening. We got to be down on the field at Globe Life Field, the Texas Rangers stadium.

One of the main reasons I attended was that I saw that our Chief Growth Officer was attending, and I thought it a decent networking opportunity, as well as a learning experience. I've worked with him over the years prior to his present position as we went through mergers.

We had some god discussions about opportunities for our organization to help provide better financial opportunities for the markets that we serve.

I was also able to talk a little history with him. Within the past year or so, I've been studying James Baldwin. I watched the Cambridge debate with William F Buckley in 1965, am currently reading his biography, and watched I Am Not Your Negro on Netflix today (Available until July 2nd).

As with many of us that were blursed with a public school education, the finer points of the history of minorities in this country are rarely taught in any detail.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Is today the holiday?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Yes.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It is. Federally observed tomorrow, so don’t expect any banks or government offices to be open.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Okay, thanks guys!
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

They've canceled all meetings today at work so people can take the day off if they want. I'm not going to as it's not my holiday, but I'm enjoying the no meetings thing. I am happy that my new corporate overlords are very pro Juneteenth, Pride, and other holidays/celebrations that are controversial but shouldn't be controversial.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Apparently this holiday celebrates federal troops invading Texas to enforce the outlawing of slavery. How is this national holiday celebrated in Texas?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Not a state holiday in Arkansas. Big surprise.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

Jaymann wrote:Apparently this holiday celebrates federal troops invading Texas to enforce the outlawing of slavery. How is this national holiday celebrated in Texas?
Ambivalently as a whole, proudly-ish in houston

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.