ISIS

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Blackhawk

Re: ISIS

Post by Blackhawk »

For what it's worth, that pronoun was probably an error, not intentional.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Officials cringe as Trump spills sensitive details of al-Baghdadi raid
A "beautiful" and "talented" dog got injured. A robot had been on standby to aid in the hunt for al-Baghdadi if needed. U.S. Special Operations Forces arrived in eight helicopters and were on the ground for about two hours. They entered al-Baghdadi's compound within seconds by blowing holes in the side of the wall. They chased al-Baghdadi into a web of underground tunnels — many of them dead ends — that they already knew existed. Before the U.S. forces left for the 70-minute, "very low and very, very fast" helicopter ride back along the same route from which they arrived, they captured some of al-Baghdadi's henchmen and seized "highly sensitive material and information" outlining the origin of ISIS and plans for future plots.

A few of the those colorful details were wrong. Many of the rest were either highly classified or tactically sensitive, and their disclosure by the president made intelligence and military officials cringe, according to current and former U.S. officials.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
malchior

Post by malchior »

I can only imagine they were also cringing as he made fun of a now certain-to-be-treated-as-a-martyr al-Baghadi.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:32 pm Officials cringe as Trump spills sensitive details of al-Baghdadi raid
A "beautiful" and "talented" dog got injured. A robot had been on standby to aid in the hunt for al-Baghdadi if needed. U.S. Special Operations Forces arrived in eight helicopters and were on the ground for about two hours. They entered al-Baghdadi's compound within seconds by blowing holes in the side of the wall. They chased al-Baghdadi into a web of underground tunnels — many of them dead ends — that they already knew existed. Before the U.S. forces left for the 70-minute, "very low and very, very fast" helicopter ride back along the same route from which they arrived, they captured some of al-Baghdadi's henchmen and seized "highly sensitive material and information" outlining the origin of ISIS and plans for future plots.

A few of the those colorful details were wrong. Many of the rest were either highly classified or tactically sensitive, and their disclosure by the president made intelligence and military officials cringe, according to current and former U.S. officials.
I cringed at these two quotes:

"We agonized over what we would put in his briefings," one former senior White House official said, "because who knows if and when he's going to say something about it."

"He has no filter," the official added. "But also if he knows something, and he thinks it's going to be good to say or make him appear smarter or stronger, he'll just blurt it out."
-mf
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

em2nought wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:09 am If the dog is too hurt to continue working, I hope Trump adopts him as the First Dog. I'm sure that would make some people happy. :flags-usa: :laughing-rolling:
I'm sure they would do everything they can to find it a good home.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Welp that rules Trump out. Mr mememememmeeeeeee is not a good placement for a animal.

Except the feral gold digger with a penchant for plastic surgery.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

https://thehill.com/homenews/administra ... hdadi-raid
President Trump on Wednesday tweeted an edited image of himself awarding a Medal of Honor to the dog injured in the U.S. military operation in Syria that led to the death of ISIS leader Abu Baker al-Baghdadi over the weekend.

The photo, which has a watermark with the Twitter handle of The Daily Wire, shows the dog edited into a 2017 photo of Trump who, in the original, was awarding the Medal of Honor to James McCloughan, a retired Army captain who saved dozens of lives during the Vietnam War.

The image is one of several that The Daily Wire has shared on its social media platforms in the days after the ISIS raid.

In his tweet, Trump captioned the photo, “AMERICAN HERO!”
Voice of America White House bureau chief Steve Herman tweeted that Trump administration officials acknowledged the photo was altered and that the dog was not at the White House.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

He's as bad as Kim.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:57 am
a female Belgian Malinois... His name is
I'm having a hard time coming to terms with being told Dude is man a only pronoun and now you hit me with His is an appropriate pronoun for a female dog. I try very hard to be respectful for others but I'm getting too old to keep up or figure things out.
Dog looks like [she's] a lady...

Published 9 hours ago
Last Update 8 hours ago

Trump identifies 'Conan,' military dog in Baghdadi raid, says she will visit White House

Maybe?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I chalk everything up to Trump being a total moron and saying any shit that comes to his mind.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

em2nought wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:09 am If the dog is too hurt to continue working, I hope Trump adopts him as the First Dog. I'm sure that would make some people happy. :flags-usa: :laughing-rolling:
https://www.newsweek.com/donald-trump-d ... so-1328229
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

AP News
The leader of the Islamic State group blew himself up along with members of his family as American forces raided his Syria hideout Thursday, the U.S. said — the second time in three years the United States has taken out a leader of the violent group that has been struggling for resurgence with deadly attacks in the region.

President Joe Biden announced the overnight raid by American special operations forces, which U.S. officials called a “significant blow” to the radical militant organization.
The raid targeted Abu Ibrahim al-Hashimi al-Qurayshi, who took over as head of the group on Oct. 31, 2019, just days after leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi died during a U.S. raid. Al-Qurayshi, unlike his predecessor, was far from a household name, a secretive man who presided over a far diminished version of the group and didn’t appear in public.

Biden said al-Qurayshi died as al-Baghdadi did, by exploding a bomb that killed himself and members of his family, including women and children, as U.S. forces approached.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Imagine living with a live bomb at the ready. I wonder how you explain that to the kids.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Alefroth wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:02 am Imagine living with a live bomb at the ready. I wonder how you explain that to the kids.
If it's true. We have to trust the government on this who doesn't have a great record of telling the truth when their military adventurers do not go the way that maximizes the narrative upside.

Update: A good segment talking about this issue and the evasive and sarcastic tone that they've taken when asked legitimate questions about their candor. It also acknowledges that the explanation is plausible.

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Alefroth wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:02 am Imagine living with a live bomb at the ready. I wonder how you explain that to the kids.
"Don't make daddy mad. He has a short fuse."
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Kraken wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:33 pm
"Don't make daddy mad. He has a short fuse."
Is it OK if I sleep over at Hakim's house tonight?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

"Bob the Untouchable Robot"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

malchior wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:12 am
If it's true. We have to trust the government on this who doesn't have a great record of telling the truth when their military adventurers do not go the way that maximizes the narrative upside.

Update: A good segment talking about this issue and the evasive and sarcastic tone that they've taken when asked legitimate questions about their candor. It also acknowledges that the explanation is plausible.

That's infuriating. You can't call it "declassified" and then refuse to show it. :grund:

This is not a good look for the administration.
Covfefe!
malchior

Post by malchior »

FWIW I get what the spokesperson is saying. The statement is the declassified information. It is the assessment. What the US government has banked on for a long time is that they tell the truth when they declassify findings without the underlying evidence. And that is what we want since revealing the raw intelligence/underlying evidence might burn actual human intelligence resources/methods/etc.

The trouble comes IMO when successive administrations have spent a good part of this century burning that trust by lying or getting facts absolutely wrong. That is what the reporter was essentially challenging. They can't tell us to blindly trust them when they've lied us into multiple wars or covering up embarrassing/bad conduct in the last 20 years. Whether it was about WMD or bombing civilians.

The bad look IMO is that the administration is manipulatively pivoting to how the reporters are being disloyal vis a vis saying they are buying or aiding Russian disinformation. Abysmal conduct that verges on the bullshit slander that the GOP uses on a daily basis. That is what infuriated and disappointed me personally. This administration was supposed to be better than this (and is in a relative sense to the Trump administration). It also doesn't help that Ned Price is ex-CIA to boot.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

You don't, they're in pieces. :(

I'd be shocked if the family all knew about the bomb set to kill them all in the event of a raid. I mean I suppose it could be possible if the whole families brainwashed. Kind of hard to convince EVERYONE though. *shrug*
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

US-led coalition capture senior IS leader in north Syria raid
US-led coalition forces say they captured a senior leader of the jihadist group Islamic State (IS) in an overnight raid in northern Syria.

The man was "an experienced bomb maker and operational facilitator", a coalition statement said.

Officials told US media that he was named Hani Ahmed al-Kurdi.

A monitoring group said troops were dropped by two helicopters in al-Humayra, close to the Turkish border in opposition-held Aleppo province.

There were seven minutes of armed clashes between the troops and people inside the village before the helicopters flew off, the UK-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights reported.

They later landed at a base in the Kobane region in eastern Aleppo province, which is controlled by Turkish-backed rebel factions, it added.
The Washington Post cited US officials as saying the captured IS leader was Ahmed Kurdi and that he was also known as the "wali", or governor, of Raqqa.

Raqqa is a city east of Aleppo that was the de facto capital of the "caliphate" proclaimed by IS in 2014, after it seized large swathes of Syria and Iraq and imposed its brutal rule on millions of people.

The group was driven from its last piece of territory in 2019 by the coalition and the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces militia alliance, but the UN estimates it still has between 6,000 and 10,000 fighters in Syria and Iraq who continue to carry out hit-and-run attacks, ambushes and roadside bombings.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

ISIS claims responsibility for attack at Moscow-area concert venue that left at least 60 dead
ISIS has claimed responsibility for an attack at a popular concert venue complex near Moscow Friday after assailants stormed the venue with guns and incendiary devices, killing at least 60 people and injuring 145.

The terror group took responsibility for the attack in a short statement published by ISIS-affiliated news agency Amaq on Telegram on Friday. It did not provide evidence to support the claim.

Video footage from the Crocus City Hall shows the vast complex, which is home to both the music hall and a shopping center, on fire with smoke billowing into the air. State-run RIA Novosti reported the armed individuals “opened fire with automatic weapons” and “threw a grenade or an incendiary bomb, which started a fire.” They then “allegedly fled in a white Renault car,” the news agency said.
Earlier this month, the US embassy in Russia said it was “monitoring reports that extremists have imminent plans to target large gatherings in Moscow,” including concerts. The embassy warned US citizens to avoid large gatherings. On Friday, following reports of the Crocus City Hall attack, it advised US citizens not to travel to Russia.

Starting in November, there has been a steady stream of intelligence that ISIS-K was determined to attack in Russia, according to two sources familiar with the information.

ISIS-K stands for ISIS-Khorasan, the terror organization’s affiliate that is active in Afghanistan and the surrounding region.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

But why ISIS? Because of Russia's involvement in Syria, or something else? If it's Ukraine-related, I can't make that connection.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

What is ISIS-K, the group that attacked a Moscow concert hall?
While the attack by ISIS-K in Russia on Friday was a dramatic escalation, experts said the group has opposed Russian President Vladimir Putin in recent years.

"ISIS-K has been fixated on Russia for the past two years, frequently criticizing Putin in its propaganda," said Colin Clarke of Soufan Center, a New York-based research group.

Michael Kugelman of the Washington-based Wilson Center said ISIS-K "sees Russia as being complicit in activities that regularly oppress Muslims."

He added that the group also counts as members a number of Central Asian militants with their own grievances against Moscow.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Say what you will about prior ISIS attacks on US targets, they at least had specific, clearly identifiable reasons.

That is some weak ass general nuisance reasons bombing right there.
Holman

Post by Holman »

In the wake of the Moscow terror attack, I am just now encountering the far-right/far-left horseshoe consensus that ISIS is actually controlled by the CIA and NATO.

I did not know this was or could possibly be a thing.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
waitingtoconnect

Post by waitingtoconnect »

Holman wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:56 pm In the wake of the Moscow terror attack, I am just now encountering the far-right/far-left horseshoe consensus that ISIS is actually controlled by the CIA and NATO.

I did not know this was or could possibly be a thing.
Isis are a bunch of thugs and mercenaries. In general they are the end result of the fall of the Ottoman Empire and the general war and chaos since.

It’s much like the Hundred Years’ War. In the areas where isis have arisen supportive structures of Church and State have collapsed; trade has been stifled; what would now be called Internally Displaced People and refugees roam the land.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Putin is pushing a Christian Nationalist ideology, to gain the support of the Russian Orthodox Church in his empire-building. That includes expanding Russian influence over Arabic areas that have created the opportunities for ISIS to rise. If you're looking to build an Islamic State in the sphere of Russian historical empire, they're an open and active enemy.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Putin hasn't publicly acknowledged ISIS's role, and is instead blaming Ukraine and the US (because we warned him two weeks prior that we had intel indicating a terror attack was imminent), trying to transform a major security lapse into a political advantage. Russia is a police state, but the police focus on controlling their own people at the expense of outside threats.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Zarathud wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:34 pm Putin is pushing a Christian Nationalist ideology, to gain the support of the Russian Orthodox Church in his empire-building. That includes expanding Russian influence over Arabic areas that have created the opportunities for ISIS to rise. If you're looking to build an Islamic State in the sphere of Russian historical empire, they're an open and active enemy.
Putin already controls the Russian Orthodox Church. The current head of the Church is a longtime associate of Putin's, and he did work for the KGB back in the day.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
waitingtoconnect

Kraken wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:55 pm Putin hasn't publicly acknowledged ISIS's role, and is instead blaming Ukraine and the US (because we warned him two weeks prior that we had intel indicating a terror attack was imminent), trying to transform a major security lapse into a political advantage. Russia is a police state, but the police focus on controlling their own people at the expense of outside threats.
Well they’ve caught the “terrorists” and tortured them into confessing.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/graphic-foota ... 22464.html

Call me cynical though but are they really the guys in the attack videos…

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 17729.html

The only way to stop bad guys with guns is for good guys with guns to force feed them their own ears…
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

What are the odds Trump will speak admiringly about this in a future rally?
Covfefe!
waitingtoconnect

hepcat wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:41 pm What are the odds Trump will speak admiringly about this in a future rally?
If he does he doesn’t understand we did and still do the same thing especially post 2001. Waterboarding , sleep deprivation, etc all gleefully reported in the media as well.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

But we at least would serve a side dish with the ear…
Covfefe!
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

hepcat wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:34 pm But we at least would serve a side dish with the ear…
Fava beans and a nice Chianti, perhaps.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Side note: I know it's inappropriate, but ISIS-K makes me think of K Pop.
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Well, with somewhat less synchronized dancing.