Virus

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

naednek

Virus

Post by naednek »

So I believe my son's PC has a virus or malware. I have malwarebytes and it's not picking up anything.

He is connected to the wifi, but when he tries to go to google.com, roblox, youtube, etc page doesn't come up. Tried it in 2 different browsers and in private mode and still the same results. Rebooted, Shutdown nothing. I can ping www.google.com and receive a response but can't browse to it. I can also update malware so I know it can reach out, but not in the browser.

Another thing I noticed is qustido which is a websense like app for kids isn't running. That's a red flag.

You have t0 have the password to shut that off, he doesn't know it.

What's some best antivirus software that is free and effective? My go to has been malwarebytes but it's not seeing anything.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
LordMortis

Re: Virus

Post by LordMortis »

naednek wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 11:22 am So I believe my son's PC has a virus or malware. I have malwarebytes and it's not picking up anything.

He is connected to the wifi, but when he tries to go to google.com, roblox, youtube, etc page doesn't come up. Tried it in 2 different browsers and in private mode and still the same results. Rebooted, Shutdown nothing. I can ping www.google.com and receive a response but can't browse to it. I can also update malware so I know it can reach out, but not in the browser.

Another thing I noticed is qustido which is a websense like app for kids isn't running. That's a red flag.

You have t0 have the password to shut that off, he doesn't know it.

What's some best antivirus software that is free and effective? My go to has been malwarebytes but it's not seeing anything.
I have the problem with Firefox and a Fortinet solution. None of the google properties and cloudflare's ever changing IP assigments sometimes get wonky work in FF when the Foritnet is up. Do you have a VPN set up? What sort of installations do you have that might monitor/intrude on your network traffic?

I'd ask what is running in system tray but nowadays installs like crowdstrike don't show up in your system tray and you can't shut them down. You can look at startup programs/add remove programs/taskmgr to get a feel for what is running.

Also MS built in AV is getting surprisingly good marks for a free solution in comparative reviews after all of these years. Like anything else, it takes them many years and tries but then they get solid.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Nothing out of the ordinary for the system tray. No VPN. I h ave Windows defender on as well.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Just dropping in to state how happy I am to see a 'virus' thread that has absolutely nothing to do with COVID-19.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

naednek wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 11:22 am What's some best antivirus software that is free and effective? My go to has been malwarebytes but it's not seeing anything.
In terms of getting a poorly-running and/or compromised Windows PC back to functionality, TronScript will likely prove to be more effective.

Here's a tutorial video that walks you through how to use it:

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

Its possible that Qustudio is broken, and has defaulted to blocking all sites.

Maybe a recent windows update or some such has broken qustudio. Try a reinstall of that first.

Lots of those websense programs, if they get shutdown, the default behavior then is all sites blocked
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 12:19 pm Yet another brilliant piece of hardware/software advice/article/link to an app or piece of amazingly helpful code
I hereby declare thee the winner of the OO "Most absolutely useful and informative IT related posts" award! Subcategory: Helpful apps and programs to do...ANYthing. :P

Our resident archivist should compile all the apps and programs you have posted here over the years.
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Tue May 17, 2022 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 3:13 pm
Anonymous Bosch wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 12:19 pm
naednek wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 11:22 am What's some best antivirus software that is free and effective? My go to has been malwarebytes but it's not seeing anything.
In terms of getting a poorly-running and/or compromised Windows PC back to functionality, TronScript will likely prove to be more effective.

Here's a tutorial video that walks you through how to use it:

I hereby declare thee the winner of the OO "Most absolutely useful and informative IT related posts" award! Subcategory: Helpful apps and programs to do...ANYthing. :P

Our resident archivist should compile all the apps and programs you have posted here over the years.
Ditto, I'm using it now on his PC. It's slowly moving along. Not sure if it has found anything. Will have to check logs when it's done. I'm just happy I can just run the bat file and go back to my work. Hope this resolves it.
naednek

Post by naednek »

well certainly didn't like Tron deleting my One Drive... I didn't notice that when I was looking at the instructions. I'll be visiting the one drive recycle bin afterwards. (while only copying things I know)
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

naednek wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 6:14 pm well certainly didn't like Tron deleting my One Drive... I didn't notice that when I was looking at the instructions. I'll be visiting the one drive recycle bin afterwards. (while only copying things I know)
Strange. If memory serves, TronScript typically runs a detection routine that checks to see whether OneDrive is in use, and skips removal if it is. It does not remove user files though, so if you re-enable OneDrive, it should continue working as it did previously.

EDIT: I notice a SKIP_ONEDRIVE_REMOVAL (-sor) switch was added back in 2019, suggesting its detection of OneDrive usage may not necessarily be flawless.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
naednek

Post by naednek »

Ya I was mistaken. It was files they added and then deleted when finished.

This resolved his problems so far

Thanks so much.

Too bad my son is being ungrateful that I wasted 30 minutes of his time because I wanted to review the logs.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

He could always be ungrateful for longer...
It's almost as if people are the problem.
naednek

Post by naednek »

well, the problem happened again this morning around the same time. I had confirmed it was working this morning, and an hour later it reappeared.

When I ran Tron, I ran it under administrator but logged in as Ethan. When it got to the virus scanning part I saw a lot of access denied. But last night it was working so we just went with it.

I have it running again under my profile which I'm admin to.

It's possible like Jaymon mentioned this could be all Qustido. Will check into that later.
naednek

Post by naednek »

ended up doing a reinstall. That was quicker than the troubleshooting :D
LewisHamilton65

Post by LewisHamilton65 »

Bye bye spammer